Samsung SSD Firmware update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro i5 and a Samsung SSD in it that I bought a while back. Not so long ago samsung released Firmware update that supports TRIM. I want to install this, since I have windows on my machine as-well. The problem is Samsung Firmware update needs to be done on Windows platform. Has anyone found a workaround for installing this firmware update on a MacBook Pro ?

regards,

Constantine

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veni12 View Post

I agree with you Davyc, because my X128 is running as it should.

But as a Windows7 user it would be nice to have a firmware with trim support enabled.

I now that Indilinx is the one I have to talk to, but I am enduser and my counterpart is Corsair. I decided to buy a Corsair SSD because I only made good experiences talking about my memory and my psu from Corsair and the support of both.

We all know that we have to trim or wipe our ssd from time to time, but until today there

is no "wiper tool" from Corsair. I have to go to a competitor to download this little tool.

The X-series FAQ from Bluebeard says it will be available shortly in the ssd download section but until today there is nothing.

what tool do you use to wipe your SSD from time to time?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constantine View Post

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro i5 and a Samsung SSD in it that I bought a while back. Not so long ago samsung released Firmware update that supports TRIM. I want to install this, since I have windows on my machine as-well. The problem is Samsung Firmware update needs to be done on Windows platform. Has anyone found a workaround for installing this firmware update on a MacBook Pro ?

regards,

Constantine

TRIM is not strictly necessary, but it is convenient. The newer firmware's have a Garbage Collection functionality that does the same thing, only you the user launches when you want it instead of it happening at every write. Check with Corsair, they should have QA'ed a version of the Indilinx GC utility for their drives at the same time they QA'ed the firmware update itself.