Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday announced that the first day of iPhone 4 preorders topped 600,000 on the first day of availability, representing the largest single day of preorders ever.

Apple said in a press release that the total was "far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions. Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration."

The company continued, "We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties, and hope that they will try again or visit an Apple store or carrier store once the iPhone 4 is in stock."

iPhone 4 preorders through Apple that could not be placed on Tuesday will have to wait, as Apple has said new orders will ship by July 2, more than a week after the June. 24 launch date.

Those who didn't get their order in on Tuesday in the U.S. may have to wait even longer, as AT&T also announced Wednesday that it has suspended preorders following unprecedented demand for Apple's latest handset. The exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. said that demand was ten times greater than that for the iPhone 3GS in 2009.

Both Apple and AT&T experienced problems as the companies began accepting preorders on Tuesday. AT&T's systems were unable to verify eligibility for some existing customers, while Apple was forced to turn down callers to its 800 number.

The iPhone 4 is set to launch next Thursday, June 24. In addition to the AT&T network in the U.S., the phone will debut with multiple carrier partners in France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has announced that the iPhone 4 international launch will ramp up to 87 total countries by September, its fastest-ever global deployment of a new handset.

The 600,000 preorders taken Tuesday suggest that Apple is on pace to blow out its previous sales records with the iPhone 3GS. Last year, Apple sold over a million of the device in its first three days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 176
    I got my order in after a dozen tries I'm happy...except that I'll have to wait until July..
  • Reply 2 of 176
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    That's insane.
  • Reply 3 of 176
    Got mine around 3:00pm PST after trying all day since 6:30am PST. I'm getting it on the 24th!
  • Reply 4 of 176
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Wow 600,000 for one out of two colours and in only 5 of the 87 countries.
  • Reply 5 of 176
    Any word on whether or not Apple Retail Stores will have stock available for purchase on the 24TH?
  • Reply 6 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

I got my order in after a dozen tries I'm happy...except that I'll have to wait until July..

Ah the poor AT&T network. I can smell the servers smoking already.
  • Reply 7 of 176
    Is anyone surprised by this announcement? I wonder how high the number would have been without system malfunctions? I think it's been said before... Apple is doomed.

Was able to pre-order two... I'll be waiting for FedEx on the 24th. Not surprisingly, I had success with one order while the West coast was at lunch, and pushed the other through while they were in traffic on the way home.
  • Reply 8 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

Any word on whether or not Apple Retail Stores will have stock available for purchase on the 24TH?

Yes, they will have stock. Enough to satisfy demand? Who knows. \

I'm not sure that I understand why folks who absolutely want an iPhone on the 24th didn't simply order one for delivery - where they will certainly be delivered by FedEx next Thursday.
  • Reply 9 of 176
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Ah the poor AT&T network. I can smell the servers smoking already.

iTunes activation will be fun
  • Reply 10 of 176
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Apple must be getting sick and tired of all these failed products they keep releasing........
  • Reply 11 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Yes, they will have stock. Enough to satisfy demand? Who knows. \

I'm not sure that I understand why folks who absolutely want an iPhone on the 24th didn't simply order one for delivery - where they will certainly be delivered by FedEx next Thursday.

A lot of us tried...many, many times, but the handoff to ATT for eligibility verification timed out. Some people reported trying for hours. I, myself, tried off and on well over two dozen times while working on other projects.
  • Reply 12 of 176
    All I have to say is, there better not be a single white iPhone 4 in that 600,000 figure. I'm quite miffed that Best Buy was allowing (supposedly legit) pre-orders for them. Meh.
  • Reply 13 of 176
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Is anyone surprised by this announcement? I wonder how high the number would have been without system malfunctions?

I'd say both Apple and AT&T were surprised. Probably the numbers could have been higher if Apple had more stock of the phones to sell. The ordering system glitches probably throttled the preorders back something closer to supply.
  • Reply 14 of 176
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Apple must be getting sick and tired of all these failed products they keep releasing........

I agree, if they only listed to the advice from all the trolls on this forum they could be doing well, oh well.

Talking of doing well, Is see AAPL nearly back to 270.00
  • Reply 15 of 176
    Quote:

A lot of us tried...many, many times, but the handoff to ATT for eligibility verification timed out. Some people reported trying for hours. I, myself, tried off and on well over two dozen times while working on other projects.

I sure understand. It took six hours to get two separate orders through for my wife and I.

Interestingly, the 'Bumpers' aren't scheduled to ship until the 24th with delivery the 25th-29th.
  • Reply 16 of 176
    Quote:

The apple website posted there is no more reserving at the store.. it just says "find a store" and it will be sold on a first come first serve basis.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/pre-order/

For me, its time to bust out the camping equipment!
  • Reply 17 of 176
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Lets just say, for the sake of simplicity that apple counted that period as 20 hours

(approx. 8 am est until midnight pst)

and that best buy sold 40,000, at&t sold 70,000, and radioshack sold 10,000

add that to apple's 600,000

for a total of 720,000

that is 10 iphones per second

10 SALES PER SECOND!!! That is one heck of a lot of demand

and at a minimum of $217 per transaction ($199 plus $18 upgrade fee)

$156,240,000.00

ONE HUNDRED & FIFTY-SIX MILLION, TWO HUNDRED & FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!

I wish I could suffer that kind of security problem.
  • Reply 18 of 176
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I guess that number wouldn't include in-store reservations that many of us were forced into because of the malfunctions. (10 transactions per second hardly seems like enough to take the system down, even if you assume it was reallly 200 transactions per second with the failure rate.)
  • Reply 19 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree, if they only listed to the advice from all the trolls on this forum they could be doing well, oh well.

On that note, it's been cracking me up to read all of the iPhone hater's comments about how much better they think the EVO is. Even yesterday, when I called Verizon to verify her information to port her number for iPhone, they were singing the praises of the Incredible. Regardless of what the haters say, it's awfully hard to deny the success from yesterday. In three months, the EVO will be replaced with another iPhone want-a-be. No other phone integrates iTunes, beautiful design, and common-sense GUI like Apple.

Call me an Apple Fanboy - that's fine. Just make sure you call out sales while comparing meaningless phone features.
  • Reply 20 of 176
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

and at a minimum of $217 per transaction ($199 plus $18 upgrade fee)

My order waived the upgrade fee even though I am not at two years until Nov 2010. Not sure why they waived it but I'll take it.