Trying to play DVD's from MacBook Pro to Samsung Series 6 LCD TV

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Alright guys, first time here and I need your help! My wife and I have never had a TV and have always watched DVD's on our not-even-one-year-old MacBook Pro and after moving into a house, yada yada yada, we finally purchased a Samsung LN46C630 LCD TV.

Now, we aren't ready to buy a Blu-Ray player yet so we want to continue to watch DVD's on our MBP and hook it up to the TV and watch it from there.

The guy at Best Buy recommended that we get a Mini-DVI to HDMI cable from Apple Store and a 3.5mm to RCA cable in order for it to work.

This is what the back of my TV looks like.

I have the Mini-DVI to HDMI cable plugged in HDMI IN, DVI 1, because that's what my manual says to do. I have the 3.5mm to RCA cable plugged into the headphone jack of my MBP and the red and white cables are plugged into COMPONENT IN, Audio R & L, in the 1 section. I have tried them in the 2 section right above. I have even tried them on the side of the TV, to the left, where it says AV IN, L-AUDIO-R...BUT I GET NO SOUND!!

Here's what I experimented with: I plugged the red/white cord into the PC/DVI AUDIO IN slot, and although it doesn't quite fit, I get sound, really bad muffled and scratchy sound, but sound nonetheless.

WHAT DOES ALL OF THIS MEAN? Please help a new TV owner!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    DVD players are inexpensive, about $99.

Why burn out your MacBook Pro and it's expensive Superdrive, a many thousands of dollar machine, to watch movies?

Better, get a Roku for $99 and a HDMI cable (on line, not at the store) and subscribe to Netflix, the basic service of one DVD a month and then start using the Roku to stream movies to your HDTV.

Much better than going the DVD rental and MacBook Pro abuse route.

$8 a month, a $99 Roku and a $10 HDMI cable will get you TONS AND TONS OF MOVIES, TV SHOWS ETC. Watch 24/7 if you want too!!

The best deal for a starting family.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sn00zesn00ze Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

DVD players are inexpensive, about $99.

Why burn out your MacBook Pro and it's expensive Superdrive, a many thousands of dollar machine, to watch movies?...

I think its a good question, not all video you want to play on the 'big screen' has to come from the MBP superdrive.

emosamura, I'm guessing you have checked that the headphone jack is good, then it has to be at the TV end... so start playing around with the sound settings at the TV end!

Good Luck!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    SpotOn, that's good advice. My wife was the one who was trying to "just make it work" with the MBP, and after all of this, she's now convinced and glad to go get a Blu Ray player.

Thanks for the replies guys!