Apple updates MobileMe, releases Find My iPhone app

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday debuted its new interface for the MobileMe subscription service, sporting a new look for its me.com e-mail and adding a Find My iPhone application for tracking a lost handset on iOS devices.

The new MobileMe Mail has been in beta since May for users who chose to opt in. The update features a new widescreen view interface, improved performance, server-side e-mail rules, a formatting toolbar for adding rich text to e-mails, and new SSL security when composing and sending e-mail.

Apple provided a summary of what's new in the latest MobileMe Mail web application, including new features that were added after the beta went live:

Widescreen and compact views. When reading your mail at me.com, the new widescreen view lets you see more of each message with less scrolling. Choose compact view to hide your folders or classic view to see more of your message list.

Rules to keep your email organized everywhere. Mail rules help you reduce inbox clutter by automatically filing messages into folders you select ahead of time. Set them up at me.com, and your rules organize your incoming email on the web and everywhere else ? on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

Single-click archiving. Click the Archive button and the selected message is quickly filed into the Archive folder where it's always available for future reference.

Formatting toolbar. You can create great-looking email messages using formatting buttons to bold or italicize text, change font color, insert images, and more. You can even create formatted web links to hide long URLs.

Faster performance. Mail at me.com loads your inbox and messages faster. And with interface refinements such as the ability to scroll through your entire inbox without having to manually click to load the next set of messages, you'll be able to work more efficiently.

Increased security with SSL. With MobileMe Mail, accessing your email on the web is more secure than ever. Your inbox is protected to prevent anyone from eavesdropping on your webmail. As always, you receive SSL protection when you use your MobileMe Mail account on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

Support for external email addresses (new since the beta). Reading all your email in one place is easy with MobileMe Mail. You can receive email from another service by having the email forwarded to your me.com address.* And when you reply to a message using webmail, you can choose to send it from the address it was sent to, or from your MobileMe account.

Improved junk mail filtering (new since the beta). MobileMe Mail places suspected spam messages directly in the Junk folder. If you see an email that you actually want, click the "Not Junk" button on me.com. MobileMe moves the message to your Inbox and makes sure that messages from that sender are not sent to your Junk folder again.

Apple on Friday also released the new Find My iPhone application. Released as both an iPhone and iPad app (iTunes link), it allows iOS users to track a lost handset while on the go with a separate Apple mobile device.

MobileMe subscribers sign in with their member name and password to locate their missing device on a map, and have the handset display a message or sound. Users can also remotely lock the device to protect their privacy, or wipe it to permanently delete data if it's believed the phone is lost forever.

The application will automatically sign users out after 15 minutes. The 2.1MB download requires iOS 3.1.3 or later, and supports English, French, German and Japanese. Features of the application, according to Apple, include:

Locate your iPhone or IPad on a map

Display a message and optionally play a sound for two minutes at full volume even if your device is set to silent

Remotely set a passcode lock on your device (or lock it using your existing passcode)

Remotely wipe your device to permanently erase all of your personal data

MobileMe from Apple requires a $99-per-year subscription. It is available with a 60-day free trial for new users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    Great update. The external e-mail support is a welcomed feature. Put everything in one place, even when on the go.

I also suspect that they increased the speed of iDisk, at least here in the Netherlands.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I think people should stop saying 'for tracking a lost handsets.' Why does it have to be lost? I have used it quite a few times to see where my wife was when she was traveling by logging in to her Mobile Me account. Last year it was invaluable to me when she had to journey alone by ferry and bus from Martha's Vineyard to Lincoln New Hampshire. It was very comforting to see exactly where she was at all times and know exactly when to drive to the bus drop off point to collect her. The accuracy of her 3Gs was astounding.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think people should stop saying 'for tracking a lost handsets.' Why does it have to be lost? I have used it quite a few times to see where my wife was when she was traveling by logging in to her Mobile Me account. Last year it was invaluable to me when she had to journey alone by ferry and bus from Martha's Vineyard to Lincoln New Hampshire. It was very comforting to see exactly where she was at all times and know exactly when to drive to the bus drop off point to collect her. The accuracy of her 3Gs was astounding.

Now that is cool.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Nice!
  • Reply 5 of 63
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    People still use MobileMe... Seriously?
  • Reply 6 of 63
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    The big icons popping up when you click on the cloud icon is pretty, but now I have click, move my cursor, click again just to change services. Stylish, but unnecessary. An interface no no.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Beats everything else.

@AppleZilla: that seems unnecessary indeed. Good point.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    This is an underwhelming update. MM need a considerable overhaul to be a stand out product, and not an incremental one. I particularly dislike the new mail interface, why do mail titles have to be crammed in an ipad like interface on such a small column? There should be an option at least to expand that, but to be frank the way they had them before was far better, plenty of horizontal margins for both mail titles and the mail itself that was split in two, now you can't see neither that well both the titles are crammed and the mails are crammed.

Dissapointing.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    This is an underwhelming update. MM need a considerable overhaul to be a stand out product, and not an incremental one. I particularly dislike the new mail interface, why do mail titles have to be crammed in an ipad like interface on such a small column? There should be an option at least to expand that, but to be frank the way they had them before was far better, plenty of horizontal margins for both mail titles and the mail itself that was split in two, now you can't see neither that well both the titles are crammed and the mails are crammed.

Dissapointing.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    I just tried the Find My iPhone app. I don't know what they did, but it is Much faster than through the browser on my Mac and much more accurate. It targeted a point within ten or twenty feet of me in about thirty seconds. Nice.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yeah, I know. Just the other day I used it to see which Johns my wife was with. It's invaluable in tracking/preventing her prostitution. Plus, I can keep tabs on her, Sleeping With The Enemy-style! Ahhh...the summertime. I come home, burn the sheets, and smell her dinner of new potatoes and pot roast. Then I smack her around and get her some flowers to apologize for our "quarrel."

Isn't technology great?
  • Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:

Me ex was on my att plan(2 iphones), and then we broke up. I asked her to terminate her att line and she refused too. Then since she knew my password she logged into itunes and ordered like $30 worth of songs(on my account).

I called her and asked her why she was doing that and she told me to go to hell,and said"what are you gonna do about?" i told her to give me 5 mins lol

Mobile me----> Remote Wipe!!!!!

10 mins later she called me crying and apologizing :-)

So mobile me rocks!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 63
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

I would pay £1 a week just for decent ad-free push/devices synced email. Getting the rest thrown in for a further £7 a year is a bonus. But then I understand the difference between value and price.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 2.1MB download requires iOS 3.1.3 or later...

What am I missing? What gets downloaded? And downloaded to what?

Also, I've tried three times now and it cannot find my phone which is sitting right next to me on my desk. It still hasn't delivered the message I sent to it either. I've never had a problem with the service until this.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm also glad they separated Find My iPhone from the Accounts info section. but the icons on top would be better.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

The big icons popping up when you click on the cloud icon is pretty, but now I have click, move my cursor, click again just to change services. Stylish, but unnecessary. An interface no no.

That was my take.

PS: I still have two issues with Find My iPhone that I'd like addressed.
    1. Add Find My Mac. You can do it via WiFi but adding a GPS chip to Macs would be inexpensive and make it considerably more accurate. Orbicule's Undercover is pretty good for what it is but it can't possibly be as integrated as Apple could make it. Note that Geo Location was added to Safari 5 and has been in Chrome for awhile. This could assist with that and other aspects of your system, for example, weather and movie widgets.

2. If I'm in an iPhone that is unlocked I can turn off Find My iPhone without having to input the PIN number. This should be required to turn it on and off as a security precaution. Also, it shouldn't require Mail be enabled and setup in a certain way to use it unless that also requires a PIN to turn on and off. This is basic security.

• Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

What am I missing? What gets downloaded? And downloaded to what?

The Find My iPhone app gets downloaded. They stated this in the article and linked to it in the App Store.
    Quote:

Also, I've tried three times now and it cannot find my phone which is sitting right next to me on my desk. It still hasn't delivered the message I sent to it either. I've never had a problem with the service until this.

Are you settings correct on your iPhone?
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

me ex was on my att plan(2 iphones), and then we broke up. I asked her to terminate her att line and she refused too. Then since she knew my password she logged into itunes and ordered like $30 worth of songs(on my account).

I called her and asked her why she was doing that and she told me to go to hell,and said"what are you gonna do about?" i told her to give me 5 mins lol

mobile me----> remote wipe!!!!!

10 mins later she called me crying and apologizing :-)

so mobile me rocks!!!!!

Sweet!
  • Reply 18 of 63
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Find My iPhone app gets downloaded. They stated this in the article and linked to it in the App Store.
    Are you settings correct on your iPhone?

I get it now. I thought they meant adding the Find My iPhone to the MobileMe service (which is strange because it's been there for a while now).

I just got my notification after about 15 minutes and it can now find my phone. Maybe the new service was just bogged down with everyone trying it out.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I get it now. I thought they meant adding the Find My iPhone to the MobileMe service (which is strange because it's been there for a while now).

I just got my notification after about 15 minutes and it can now find my phone. Maybe the new service was just bogged down with everyone trying it out.

Good. I was surprised that you asked at all. Have you had your morning coffee yet?
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I particularly dislike the new mail interface, why do mail titles have to be crammed in an ipad like interface on such a small column? There should be an option at least to expand that....

You can, go try it again but properly this time.