Apple-initiated rumors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This has been suggested before, but not thoroughly discussed.

There are currently a lot of rumors flying around as to the possible specs of the next PowerMacs. Do you think that Apple might be spreading some of them intentionally?

More generally, do you think Apple has ever started a rumor?

It seems to me that the most obvious reasons for doing this would be

(a) lower people's expectations

(b) draw attention from a true rumor

(c) find leaky employees

(d) discredit rumor sites

(Any other reasons?)

Also, what would you think if it was revealed that Apple is doing this/has done it in the recent past? Whould your respect for them decrease?

(EDIT: added reason (d))

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: qazII ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    m5884m5884 Posts: 69member
    Respect would increase, but thats just me. I don't know if they do this. I wouldn't be surprised if they did though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    "Lowered Expectations" ?

That's MAD, I tell ya, just MAD!!

Anyway, I have given some thought to the fake rumors thing in the past, and it makes total sense to me. Apple/Jobs are rumor-obsessed and Machiavellian enough to make this a very credible possibility.

As we all know, it's not hard to start rumors. Not on message boards like this one, but by emailing MOSR and the Register, anyone can become an instant Deep Throat.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Given how Steve Jobs hates rumour sites it wouldn't surprise me at all if this tactic were used for all of those reasons... especially eliminating leaks. Their current level of security pretty much speaks for itself (errr... forgive the choice of expression).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Programmer ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Since they're publically owned, would this have any legal complications? I know they're in court right now because of some misleading disclosure of information surrounding the Cube. If it's not a legal problem, then I could see Apple doing it.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I could see how some of the G3 iMac rumors could have been started by Apple back in December and January before MWSF so we'd be blown away by G4s and SuperDrives. The same may be happening now and Apple may have G5s up its sleeve...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>Since they're publically owned, would this have any legal complications? I know they're in court right now because of some misleading disclosure of information surrounding the Cube. If it's not a legal problem, then I could see Apple doing it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since these aren't official statements or commitments and they are sent to rumour pages, I think you'd have a hard time arguing this case.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    While I have little doubt that most of the rumors we read are started by people who piece together ideas from various sites like The Register and Think Secret, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Apple has a hand in some of them.

I think the biggest and most obvious reason they would do this (and what they would argue in court if anyone ever called them down on it) is to find moles / leaky-mouthed employees. Steve is of a totalitarian mindset it would seem, so the idea of some antsy employee leaking company plans to outsiders probably pisses him off no end. An ego thing more than an ethics thing, if you take my meaning.