Some early iPhone 4 shipments have defective screens, missing bars

Comments

• Reply 21 of 192
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

Instead of grabbing my pitchfork and torch, I think I'll slap an invisible shield around the steel antenna, and enjoy my new phone.

or a brightly colored one from apple, lmao
  • Reply 22 of 192
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Where are all the Apple fanboys now who screamed "build quality" when the Evo had issues? Hope you all don't have to use bluetooth to make a call for the next year until you upgrade!

The iPhone's build quality is superior to anything on the market. Supposedly, this is a software glitch.
  • Reply 23 of 192
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    There are just as many videos showing the exact same behavior on the 3GS after installing iOS4. Why does no one show those? Because it wouldn't be sensational and would suggest a simple software issue.
  • Reply 24 of 192
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

or a brightly colored one from apple, lmao

Problem with the "bumper" case (and most other cases) is then the phone doesn't fit in the cell phone pocket in most pants.

[edit] in fact, the iPhone may be one of if not the only smart phone you can buy that will fit into those small cell phone pockets they sew into a lot of popular jeans and some khaki pants. Since I am not interested in not keeping change or keys in my pocket, and also like to keep my phone scratch-free, it's important to me.
  • Reply 25 of 192
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Hmmmm, I don't know how to take this. On one hand, I've always wondered what would happen when human hands handle an external antenna on a cell 100%. Then again, I've always gotten better reception when handling an antenna for a TV. Remember, they did say that they tweaked how the antenna searches and locks onto an open signal. We all know that sometimes the most bars give a crappy connection. I can personally attest to having 2 or 3 bars and having a solid connection and having garbage with 5 bars.

A lot of the complaints do mention that they can still make calls and get data, so it's not all bad. I am aware that some people just don't get a signal regardless of what, but that seems to affect both an i4 and a 3GS on iOS4. And naturally, everyone makes defective products. Mercedes makes lemons. Honda, Chevrolet, homebuilders, oil companies, and Apple all make lemons.

That being said, I am guessing this is a software bug that is related to the accuracy of the bars.
  • Reply 26 of 192
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I wish you'd stop this crap. Apple sold 600,000 iPhone 4 units. Some will be defective. Until you can provide some figures, your attempt to stir up trouble is worthless.

As soon as you have a percentage or a total number of defective units, go ahead an publish.

I'm sorry, but people like you that think about Apple first instead of the customer first need to be taken out back and dealt with.

I really don't give a crap about if your stock prices go up or down, I care about Apple putting out quality products. This doesn't bode well for Apple, especially the screen issue. How many times is Apple going to release a new product with yellowish screen problems? iPod touch, iPhone 3G, iMac, iPhone 4?

I just hope and pray that my iPhone 4 pre-order that I pick up from the AT&T store tomorrow won't have these problems.

Stop trying to turn this around on Apple Insider, they are just reporting what's out there. From Gizmodo:

• Reply 27 of 192
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

There are just as many videos showing the exact same behavior on the 3GS after installing iOS4. Why does no one show those? Because it wouldn't be sensational and would suggest a simple software issue.

Not only that, but if you can still make a call, it's irrelevant. According to early reviews, this doesn't affect your ability to make calls.
  • Reply 28 of 192
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

More "PROOF". Without rag it drops, with rag and no antenna-link it doesn't drop. This may be the stupidest thing Apple have even done. And what's worse, they done it on the coolest phone EVR! I hang my head in shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1KFgiwm-Q0

So, basically, if you hold the bare iPhone in your bare hand, you will not be able to make any calls. That's what you and your precious videos seem to imply. So all the Apple employees walking around with iPhone 4s, including the guy who "lost" his, and Steve Jobs as well, never noticed this little problem? That's really what you are claiming, isn't it? Well, isn't it?

Nope. My original suggestion stands. Have somebody check your tin foil hat. A month from now you will be known as the guy who claimed you can't use the iPhone if you hold it in your hand. Is that the reputation you want?
  • Reply 29 of 192
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So, basically, if you hold the bare iPhone in your bare hand, you will not be able to make any calls. That's what you and your precious videos seem to imply. So all the Apple employees walking around with iPhone 4s, including the guy who "lost" his, and Steve Jobs as well, never noticed this little problem? That's really what you are claiming, isn't it? Well, isn't it?

Nope. My original suggestion stands. Have somebody check your tin foil hat. A month from now you will be known as the guy who claimed you can't use the iPhone if you hold it in your hand. Is that the reputation you want?

The issue doesn't seem to be CALLS. Most people who have had the issue have been able to make calls from what I've read. But it does seem to affect data speeds dramatically, as per pics on gizmodo
  • Reply 30 of 192
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    So I've now seen three of these"bar-loss" videos.

Can someone tell me why not one of these "geniuses" will shoot a video showing a call being dropped as this occurs? How hard is that to do? I mean, that really "is" the issue; is it not?

That's what I want to see.
  • Reply 31 of 192
    merlinwmerlinw Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some of the first iPhone 4 units shipped to customers have problems with yellow tinted displays and disappearing signal bars, users have reported.

As first reported by TUAW, some users who received an iPhone 4 early found that the Retina Display on the new handset has a discoloration in the bottom corners of the screen.

"In the bottom 10% of the screen there are three blotches about the size of shirt buttons that discolor the screen a brown/yellow color," one user wrote.

The issues are remniscent to a problem that plagued early adopters of the iPhone 3G who found their whole screen had a warmer, yellower hue than the original iPhone. Apple later said that the color tint was a deliberate decision.

In addition, others have said that the iPhone 4 occasionally drops signal bars when held in the hand. The same issue was also noted by Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal in his iPhone 4 review. He said the device sometimes registers no bars, or fewer bars than the iPhone 3GS, even though a call can still be placed.

"Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix," Mossberg wrote, "and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars."

Common sense, touch or hold the antenna, the signal will go down. The antenna is the metal strip on the iPhone. Maybe Apple should hire a few Ham Radio operators, (N6OFY here)

The Apple protector 'rubber band' should help prevent that to a small degree.
  • Reply 32 of 192
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    All these videos show the devices in Wifi is there any reports about when the phone is in 3G???
  • Reply 33 of 192
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The iPhone's build quality is superior to anything on the market. Supposedly, this is a software glitch.

Steve Jobs has already been quoted as saying it is a software issue. Please don't ask me to find where I read it, I read too dang much already and forget where I read things.

I wasn't a rumour. It was something right from Steve, or so it said.

iOS 4.01 is on its way I'll bet.
  • Reply 34 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Steve Jobs has already been quoted as saying it is a software issue. Please don't ask me to find where I read it, I read too dang much already and forget where I read things.

I wasn't a rumour. It was something right from Steve, or so it said.

iOS 4.01 is on its way I'll bet.

Is that gonna fix faulty screens too?
  • Reply 35 of 192
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:

Damn. I am quite sure that all employees testing it had it covered so no one would know what they had. Even the lost one was found covered up. I am also quite sure that internal tests in closed labs tested this thoroughly. I think it's a software issue and a percentage of that is simply faulty devices. Even the 3GS and older model had defective ones out of the box.
  • Reply 36 of 192
    Quote:

Have you even watched the videos?

What's life like in your world?

• Reply 37 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Yes, and the WiFi is not as strong and takes a moment or two longer to connect on my touch 2G as well. So, it has to be a software problem.

Breath, people, breath.
  • Reply 38 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Is that gonna fix faulty screens too?

I was referring to the reception. I have no idea about the screens.
  • Reply 39 of 192
    Looks like this issue is becoming pretty prevalent on Apple Support:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 40 of 192
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

The issue doesn't seem to be CALLS. Most people who have had the issue have been able to make calls from what I've read. But it does seem to affect data speeds dramatically, as per pics on gizmodo

Okay, so basically, if you hold a bare iPhone 4 (every last one of them) in your bare hand you won't be able to download anything. And again, all the engineers, employees, Steve Jobs, et al, failed to notice this epic fail during testing? Ever hear of Ocam's Razor?