Some early iPhone 4 shipments have defective screens, missing bars

Comments

• Reply 141 of 192
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyespark View Post

When you turn off WiFi there is no change in the problem. You see the display go from 3G to Edge to nothing. It bleeds off at the same rate as the bars.

The problem does not affect the WiFi signal.

That's what I'm seeing on mine.

That good news.

Still, it's not just superficial with the bars as the dropped calls on these specific texts, "Searching…" for carriers in Texas while doing it and speed-tests slowing down to a stop while doing it. Hopefully it can be fix via software, but it currently "looks" like a hardware issue.

It could be a software-to-hardware issue, but that remains to be seen. As is I'm afraid I can't buy until I hear Apple publicly announcing a solution a solution.
  • Reply 142 of 192
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyespark View Post

So... in an area with strong signal, calls go through and the download speed stays the same... but upload speed halves.

Ahhh then all is well, AT$Ts network is so awesome we should have no issues
  • Reply 143 of 192
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I guess we would blame Gizmodo for this. Maybe Apple rushed it because Giz forced their hand. I am not being facetious. I am not going to get into the debate again about Giz's guilt or innocence in their actions. But the fact is, that with so many details leaked, Apple may have been pressured to include specs that were not properly vetted and/or to curtail external field testing. The fault would not lie with Giz alone, but with all the other sites and we as readers that helped to propagate the story.

Hopefully the yellow bars and spots are just a bad batch and the reduced signal bars when touched can be corrected via software/firmware. Actually glad Canada is getting it a bit later now, so the early adopters can work the early kinks out for us.

Na. There was evidence out there that AT$T was canceling all leave and vacation for mid-end June 2010. This was long before Giz leaked the phone. This day was set in stone long before the Giz issue.
  • Reply 144 of 192
    I wonder if this is related to the iPad wifi issue they've been having as well. The wifi signal on my iPad fluctuates, but I'm able to connect even when it registers no signal. Not sure what Apple is up to with this one, but hopefully they can fix it soon.
  • Reply 145 of 192
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member

iPhone 4 users in Japan doesn't seem to have reception/antenna issues while holding it. Looks full bar to me...

I THINK THOSE WHO GOT iPHONES ACTION PACKED WITH ISSUES JUST GOT THE BAD BATCH OF iPHONES. Mine doesn't have any of the issues some people seem to have.
  • Reply 146 of 192
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Na. There was evidence out there that AT$T was canceling all leave and vacation for mid-end June 2010. This was long before Giz leaked the phone. This day was set in stone long before the Giz issue.

Sure, the date was generally set. Doesn't mean the feature set was set in stone though. Once so concretely leaked, it might have been difficult to withdraw some that were not-quite-ready-for-primetime.
  • Reply 147 of 192
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yellow tint on the bottom of the screen. Geez just like MacBook screens for the last few years. What the crap is Apple doing to its screens. Netbooks costing $300 have better screens without tints. I had this on my MacBook Pro, the first unit. Got it replaced and the new one doesn't have it fortunately. I don't know if it's LED related or what but tinted screens are not cool.
  • Reply 148 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

We would.

If not for Gizmodo, the defects would not be present. They are the proximate cause of the iPhone defects.

Or, maybe, to be more accurate, YOU would blame Gizmodo for this, but few rational people would even think along those lines.

Well, there was the story/rumour of Apple having another iPhone 4 in development. The other unit was more similar to the iPhone 3G/3GS in external design. It was a possible fall back to use, in case the newer design and the new manufacturing processes it required couldn't be perfected in time for the launch. The report was that the leak forced Apple's hand and they felt they had to go with the new design as it had been so thoroughly leaked.

I don't actually blame Giz itself (I was generally one of the few that were defending them from the onslaught of accusations). But, I do see how the leak itself, whether the Giz leak or the ones from Viet Nam, could have resulted in Apple choosing to go with the new design.
  • Reply 149 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austingaijin View Post

Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow "blotches" will disappear.

How do I know? I was involved in pitching Z-6011 to Apple.

Picked up my iphone today, took me a good hour before i noticed i had a yellow blotch in the lower left of the screen, about where the left of the unlock slider is. Read this, pumped up my brightness to max, and continued to use it, it appears to fading down already, admittedly mine was fairly small in the first place in comparison to some i have seen, but this solution at least appears to be working for now.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 150 of 192
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Are you using a single photo to draw conclusions about every iPhone 4 in Japan?

So how long did the pictured guy hold it by the antenna before the pic was snapped? You don't know? How many bars were there 30 seconds after the picture was snapped? You don't know?

Is it safe to use unreliable evidence to draw universal conclusions?

Or am I missing something?

No dude, didn't mean to say all iPhones in Japan doesn't have issues. I'm just saying not everyone has this problem... I sure don't... And none of the people I know personally who got their iPhone 4s have a problem...

I still think they got a bad shipment of iPhone 4s. That's why the major news agencies are not reporting this yet until they're sure it's truly a widespread problem. After today and more and more are reporting issues, I'm sure CNN, AP, FOX, etc would be reporting it. I guess we'll find for sure when more and more people get their iPhones today.
  • Reply 151 of 192
    What is the mystery here folks? If you block the antennas of course signal will go down. How is this a software issue? It is a hardware issue!!!! Still not buying this thing...
  • Reply 152 of 192
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You're now crossing into irrational troll territory. If I didn't know you here for so long and like your mockups I probably wouldn't have questioned your "sky is falling" comments here.

2) Enough with the #5 font and all caps. Calm down and express your concerned in a mature manner and you're more likely to be taken seriously and get some real answers.

LOL!!!

Ireland the troll. We know what to do.

1: Label him as a Techstud alias.

2: Tag every post he makes as troll to mods.

3: PM every poster here to place Ireland on their ignore list.

4: Create a on line poll to force a IP ban.

5: Create signature with "My ignore list: Ireland" in red.

6: Disagree, argue, name call and troll Ireland in every post he makes.

7: Coordinate with Solipsism via PM on attacking Ireland.

Will we tolerate honest opinions about Apple products and services, free from the Reality Distortion Field? HELL NO!!

If you don't have something good to say about Apple, then your a troll.

Welcome to the club Ireland!!!

LOL!!!
  • Reply 153 of 192
    my yellow appears to be going away
  • Reply 154 of 192
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc

It remains to be seen if Apple can use software to effect this interference that is caused when a connection is made between both parts of antenna. So it could be a software "to" hardware issue. Right now though, things are not looking good. It comes off a hardware issue, we can only hope it's not a simply as that. It can clearly be demonstrated on the hardware level, the hope is it can be fixed on a firmware level. It's not looking good.
  • Reply 155 of 192
    Quote:

Fair enough. It seems unlikely though, that Apple would release a known defective design under any circumstances.

Very unlikely. But they may have felt forced to ship it, knowing it could use more testing or that the older design would require less testing.

In the end, it was Apple's call. The leaks may simply have pressured them to go with certain decisions over others. I am sure they will resolve these two issues (yellow and bars) readily. In fact, it sounds like the yellow spots are already working themselves out.
  • Reply 156 of 192
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yellow tint on the bottom of the screen. Geez just like MacBook screens for the last few years. What the crap is Apple doing to its screens. Netbooks costing $300 have better screens without tints. I had this on my MacBook Pro, the first unit. Got it replaced and the new one doesn't have it fortunately. I don't know if it's LED related or what but tinted screens are not cool.

Apple has been choosing bargain basement PC parts for quite some time now, the shame is people are paying for quality and not getting it anymore.

With all the security issues lately, Safari, WebKit, iOS numbering over 100 exploits in the last two patches alone, AT&T security issues, etc. The App Store lockdown, the closed machines, Flash-less, crippled iPads etc.

I'm not seeing a good enough reason to pay thousands for a laptop from Apple when a Ubuntu Linux laptop would cost a few hundred and provide excellent security for all my netbook needs.

The new Ubuntu release is excellent, any Mac user could use it fast. Tons of free software, Flash and Firefox is a great browser.
  • Reply 157 of 192
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

iPhone 4 users in Japan doesn't seem to have reception/antenna issues while holding it. Looks full bar to me...

I THINK THOSE WHO GOT iPHONES ACTION PACKED WITH ISSUES JUST GOT THE BAD BATCH OF iPHONES. Mine doesn't have any of the issues some people seem to have.

I see the yellow blotch. It's on the guys teeth.
  • Reply 158 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I just watch a video that proves there is a defect with all iPhone 4s. All the guy did was walk into a Farraday cage and the signal dropped. WTF Apple¡
  • Reply 159 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just watch a video that proves there is a defect with all iPhone 4s. All the guy did was walk into a Farraday cage and the signal dropped. WTF Apple¡

That's awful trollish of you.
  • Reply 160 of 192
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austingaijin View Post

Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow "blotches" will disappear.

How do I know? I was involved in pitching Z-6011 to Apple.

We need more of post like this. Great job!