G4 with 2nd display not working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a problem with a second display connected to my PCI card which only shows a sort of garbled pattern. I had been using two screens for years but the original PCI ATI Mac edition card died, so I replaced it with a Radeon 7000 but only get a patterned screen. It is not the monitor because I have tried swapping them over. System profiler recognises the card but says it is only 8MB or sometimes 32MB but is is supposed to be 64MB, and says there is no display connected (profiler also says there is no display connected to the AGP card although it is working perfectly!) . I have had both screens working at the same time after trying several things like resetting the PMU, doing a reset with command/option/o/f and replacing the PRAM battery, but this has not been permanent and the second screen usually goes back to a pattern after sleep or startup. The 7000 card does work as I tried it in another G4 dual optical. I suppose I could get an ADC to DVI connector so I could run both screens from the 7500 card, but I would like to know if there is some fix to get the 7000 card working.

Has anyone any ideas?

Spec as follows:

G4 Quicksilver 2001, 1.8GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB + 40GB HD, OS 10.4.11, Radeon 7500 AGP, Radeon 7000 PCI