iPhone 4 screen yellowing could be a temporary problem from assembly

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New iPhone 4 devices plagued with a yellow discoloration of the screen could be the result of a temporary problem that will alleviate itself in a matter of days.

User austingaijin on the AppleInsider forums said today that theyw ere involved in pitching the Z-6011 bonding agent to Apple that is found in the iPhone 4. The material is used to bond the layers of glass in the device during the assembly of the hardware.

"Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass," austingaijin wrote. "Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow 'blotches' will disappear."

Users began to report on Wednesday that the Retina Display on their new iPhone 4 has a discoloration in the bottom corners of its screen. On those affected units, the screen's corner has a warm yellowish tint to it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Sounds like we will need an update next week to see if the people who had this issue see it go away?
  • Reply 2 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder what the chicken heads will say then if this is indeed the case.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My guess is that the chickenheads will say the following (or something similar to):

"Ohh my God!! Where's my body?!?"

Or I might be confused, what's a chickenhead exactly?
  • Reply 4 of 54
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Hopefully it is, but it's still probably quite annoying for those affected.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    I had(have) a feeling it was(is) the bonding agent though I have no knowledge of its chemical make-up to know whether or not it will clear due to evaporation. If it clears, whew, bullet dodged. But if not, whoa man, that's a ton of screens already produced that at permanently borked and some serious damage control Apple will have to face for its biggest iPhone launch to date.

Here's to hoping that it all works itself out.

-Blurp
  • Reply 6 of 54
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

You won't be able to hear about it anyways because of antenna reception problems.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

I had(have) a feeling it was(is) the bonding agent though I have no knowledge of its chemical make-up to know whether or not it will clear due to evaporation. If it clears, whew, bullet dodged. But if not, whoa man, that's a ton of screens already produced that at permanently borked and some serious damage control Apple will have to face for its biggest iPhone launch to date.

EVEN IF the affected phones have to be replaced, there's no way of knowing how this will impact Apple because NO ONE IS SAYING WHAT PERCENTAGE OF PHONES ARE AFFECTED.

Like any electronic device (nearly any item you buy, for that matter), some percentage are defective. If the normal defect rate for cell phones is 1% and the iPhone 4 failure rate is less than 1%, then it's not a problem - no matter how many bloggers try to make it one.

If, OTOH, the normal defect rates for cell phones is 1% and for the iPhone 4 it's 5%, then it's a problem and needs to be addressed.

So far, no one has given any indication that it's a frequent enough problem to be a concern. But "the sky is falling" generates a lot more hits than "a very small number of Apple phones appear to have a cosmetic defect which goes away after a few days".
  • Reply 8 of 54
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

EVEN IF the affected phones have to be replaced, there's no way of knowing how this will impact Apple because NO ONE IS SAYING WHAT PERCENTAGE OF PHONES ARE AFFECTED.

Whew! The Apple Defence Force arrives to save the day!
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So far, no one has given any indication that it's a frequent enough problem to be a concern. But "the sky is falling" generates a lot more hits than "a very small number of Apple phones appear to have a cosmetic defect which goes away after a few days".

Exactly. Some of the complainers here don't even have a device yet with which to see if there really is an issue for them. Rabid, frothing foaming at the mouth for no real reason (except FUD).
  • Reply 10 of 54
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    "Evaporation of bonding agent" yeah right - more like the chemical used to establish the reality distortion field being absorbed into your bloodstream...
  • Reply 11 of 54
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the yellowing is from the tears of foxconn workers that haven't fully evaporated yet.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Or I might be confused, what's a chickenhead exactly?

It's a band that one of the guys at work is the drummer of.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    When were these phones made if the residue still isn't dry? Why in the world is Apple shipping phones that aren't even out of the manufacturing cycle completely? I'd hate to think what could happen down the road if internal residue wasn't dry and you started using the device. Yikes.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It's just the CRT with a magnetic interference problem. Degauss the iPhone and all will be well.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the yellowing is from the tears of foxconn workers that haven't fully evaporated yet.

best post today
  • Reply 16 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Yea no sh*t, 20 plus years of using Mac's and we users had something to fight for because we really did have a superior product.

Now?

I don't know - and neither do you.

Until there are some figures on the frequency of defects, all the people whining are simply playing Chicken Little.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    aquia33aquia33 Posts: 70member
    Plagued as in "a widespread affliction". I think you guys feed on your own stew. One person has an issue, 2 bloggers report it then 4, 8 16 (you see where I am going) and suddenly there is a plague amongst us. I have personal knowledge of 5 new iphones w/o the problem.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martimus3060 View Post

Exactly. Some of the complainers here don't even have a device yet with which to see if there really is an issue for them. Rabid, frothing foaming at the mouth for no real reason (except FUD).

How the hell else do you expect Anti-Apple campaigns and pro Google/Android campaigns to work?

They aren't going to put ads in newspapers.

They're going to hit the forums.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    iPhone 4?s screen is self-healing.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Surely they have a policy against crying since Foxconn supplies water to their employees and copious tears would just add to their operating expense.