'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 171
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I suggest everyone take a deep breath and wait until some controlled testing reveals whether this "flaw" is indeed such. It is possible that Apple is right, and that all phone signals are effected by the hand that holds it to one degree or another. Only scientific testing alongside the other models and competing phones can determine this. Not people standing in lines, or people posting on blogs.

If it is shown that there is a problem, then discussions of remedies will be germane.

Stop talking sense. I've warned you about this before!
  • Reply 22 of 171
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member

I think iP 4.1 is much better. At least it makes phone calls.
  • Reply 23 of 171
    kdjohn3kdjohn3 Posts: 30member
    Doomed I tells ya!

</snark>
  • Reply 24 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

You need to hold your phone in an apple approved fashion.

Otherwise, your warranty may not apply.

++

Considering the past blunders Apple has had with warranties, this wouldn't surprise me if it was in the new contract.
  • Reply 25 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

You're saying if they revise it to improve this, they should take back a million phones even if a bumper solves the problem? You can hope for that, but I doubt that would ever happen. Even a "win" in a class action lawsuit would probably just result in something like an apple store coupon.

And if apple did offer an exchange for a new design for people with the problem, you know that most people would trade it in even if it was working fine for them.

If it is a design flaw Apple will need to bite the bullet. There is no way that an affected user can be required to use bumpers to remedy the problem. The phone was not advertised and sold to require bumpers to function. There would need to be an additional course of remedy, again, IF this is a design flaw.

Oh, and an Apple store coupon as a remedy, I'd see that as a slap in the face, just as the "hold the phone differently" and "all phones have this problem" response was. (Bad move that, I was stunned that came from an official Apple source.) It wouldn't solve any problem, it would be minimal compensation for keeping a problematic phone. No, I haven't bought the new phone yet, I'll delay doing so until this all plays out. My 3G works fine, love the new iOS4.
  • Reply 26 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdjohn3 View Post

Doomed I tells ya!

</snark>

That was funny about 10 years ago.
  • Reply 27 of 171
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Why do people always have to find something to bitch about? Forget all of the reports that people are getting better reception in places they never did before. Instead, Apple should take notice that if I cover up the antenna with my hand, the reception bar goes down.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the California, Steve Jobs is doing a facepalm.
  • Reply 28 of 171
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Stop talking sense. I've warned you about this before!

You know whats funny about all this, if this was a new Android phone or something put out by RIM everyone on this forum would be taking about how others don't live up to Apple standards before any true tests came out. Because its Apple now everyone wants to wait and give Apple months to test before coming to a conclusion.

Funny shouldn't they have done all their testing before the release date?

Looks like Apple has now become big enough where they are the new Microsoft. Beta product right into production and fix the problems later.
  • Reply 29 of 171
    IMHO, the blogs are really to blame for this over-reaction. What we've seen over the past 36 hours is a perfect example of how the internet, bloggers, and message boards can turn a mountain into a mole hill.

I'd wager that there are far fewer actual issues from the antennae than reported. Very few consumers have the technical or troubleshooting knowledge to really isolate an issue to be caused by one variable. Logically, in many of the reported cases, there is no way for the user to know if it's the weather, the signal, interference, aliens, or just poor reception.

For the record, my iPhone4 works great. So does my wife's. No issues.
  • Reply 30 of 171
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Hmm. I wonder if the PERSON has something to do with this? Maybe some people have more salt on their skin or some such. Has anyone that has this problem with their phone tried letting other people use the phone? If so, what was the result?
  • Reply 31 of 171
    chillinchillin Posts: 59member
    So Gizmodo and Jason Chen are still the coolest, right? We can still believe what they publish about Apple, yes?

But forget this reception nonsense... there's a new Gizmodo article that exposes a newly discovered flaw in the iPhone 4 that is sure to send Apple stock spiraling. Apparently, when you engage the sleep button, or turn the phone off, it stops working!! You can't get it to do anything, except in sleep mode sometimes you can receive calls, but that's all. What good is the multitasking if you can't even launch or see the application? That's right... the SCREEN GOES BLANK. This behavior has now been widely reported, and demonstration videos are appearing on YouTube. The Apple fan base is starting to circle, and the trolls are getting warmed up... some are reporting that if in sleep mode and you press the home button, a slider appears allowing you to get back to the SpirngBoard to launch applications, but many are saying this 'workaround' just shows Apple's lack of attention to detail. At any rate, Gizmodo editor Jason Chen is really pulling out all the stops in his bid for the Pulitzer... "Apple is going down" he is reported to have muttered minutes before press time.
  • Reply 32 of 171
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Since hearsay, anecdotal evidence, blog posts, and rumor are new standards of facts and truth. I will keep my old fashioned notions of science and controlled testing out of this discussion.

Besides, speculation and what ifs are more fun, aren't they. No smiley.
  • Reply 33 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

IMHO, the blogs are really to blame for this over-reaction. What we've seen over the past 36 hours is a perfect example of how the internet, bloggers, and message boards can turn a mountain into a mole hill.

Don't you mean turn a mole-hill into a mountain?

Actually, you'd be right about AppleInsider forums turning mountains into mole-hills, because apparently any major product problem is "simply not using it as Steve Jobs intended".
  • Reply 34 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Funny shouldn't they have done all their testing before the release date?

When it is proven that there is a real problem, then I will agree with you on this point. Google "scientific proof" to see what I am talking about.
  • Reply 35 of 171
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I guess there wont be a recall, my friend happens to be left handed and has a major problem with dropped calls due to this.

He does not want to put his iPhone into a cover, he wants it to be seen, conceited granted, but considering Apple's demographic he is hardly going to be in the minority.

Someone f*cked up good and hard on this one.
  • Reply 36 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chillin View Post

So Gizmodo and Jason Chen are still the coolest, right? We can still believe what they publish about Apple, yes?

But forget this reception nonsense... there's a new Gizmodo article that exposes a newly discovered flaw in the iPhone 4 that is sure to send Apple stock spiraling. Apparently, when you engage the sleep button, or turn the phone off, it stops working!! You can't get it to do anything, except in sleep mode sometimes you can receive calls, but that's all. What good is the multitasking if you can't even launch or see the application? That's right... the SCREEN GOES BLANK. This behavior has now been widely reported, and demonstration videos are appearing on YouTube. The Apple fan base is starting to circle, and the trolls are getting warmed up... some are reporting that if in sleep mode and you press the home button, a slider appears allowing you to get back to the SpirngBoard to launch applications, but many are saying this 'workaround' just shows Apple's lack of attention to detail. At any rate, Gizmodo editor Jason Chen is really pulling out all the stops in his bid for the Pulitzer... "Apple is going down" he is reported to have muttered minutes before press time.

Very good. You know, I am beginning to think this forum is populated by a high proportion of thirteen year old girls. Mass hysteria is normal here.
  • Reply 37 of 171
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chillin View Post

...At any rate, Gizmodo editor Jason Chen is really pulling out all the stops in his bid for the Pulitzer... "Apple is going down" he is reported to have muttered minutes before press time.

Wow. They actually want a war with Steve Jobs? Are they nuts?
  • Reply 38 of 171
    Well this is my first post, but I have been reading this site for a few months now.

I preordered and recieved my iphone 4 yesterday through fedex and it has both the discolored screen and the signal issues. The ATT store I activated at took a note of the screen so I can exchange it later if it doesn't go away.

I noticed the signal issue later when I got home. Where I live I only have edge and only 2 or 3 bars of signal. If I hold the phone in my left hand the signal drops to "no service" and I am unable to make calls if I try. So it is more than just a cosmetic thing, and really did make me drop to no service.
  • Reply 39 of 171
    daffyducdaffyduc Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

I think iP 4.1 is much better. At least it makes phone calls.

LMAO!!!
  • Reply 40 of 171
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You know whats funny about all this, if this was a new Android phone or something put out by RIM everyone on this forum would be taking about how others don't live up to Apple standards before any true tests came out. Because its Apple now everyone wants to wait and give Apple months to test before coming to a conclusion. ...

There you go again. If you actually read the posts on this topic in the various threads, you would know that your assertion is false. But, truth or falsity don't seem to matter to you.