iOS 4 includes Emoji input on Japanese keyboard

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is targeting a feature request from Japanese users in iOS 4 with new support for several dozen "official" Emoji emoticons accessible from the Japanese Romaji keyboard.

After activating the Japanese Romaji keyboard (used to enter Roman-style characters), reader Davide Crudo noted that a new character key appears on the numbers keyboard: the "^_^" smile.

Typing the key inserts a smile emoticon and presents a popup listing of alternatives below it. Clicking the arrow, or hitting space bar to cycle through the options, brings up an editing panel for choosing from around 50 different alternatives that are commonly used in Japan.

Users can flick through the pages of different Emoji character sequences by touch, or cycle through options by tapping the spacebar.

Once entered, an emoticon sequence acts like a regular block of characters. After entering an emotion in Notes, its default Marker Felt font is changed to Helvetica for all text within that note.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    ^_^ they should make it standard for all language.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    gvissergvisser Posts: 5member
    Those are Emoticons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticons

Emoji are the icons and pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

Emoticons are enabled by default, you need an iPhone app, there are free ones, to enable Emoji. My guess is that they are not enabled by default because not all phones display them correctly.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    cjlaczcjlacz Posts: 45member
    This isn't a few feature, they just made it more accessible. They are called kaomoji in Japanese or face characters. When you'd type it in Japanese かおもじ the same list would appear. You can still do that now too. There have been a few hidden features for the Japanese that Apple could of done a better job of showing to people.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gvisser View Post

...you need an iPhone app, there are free ones, to enable Emoji.

I couldn't get my Emoji app to enable it in Settings with iOS 4.0.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    You can also still enable them this way, which results in an Emoji keyboard under International instead of japanese: http://www.waterworld.com.hk/en/spell_number_easter_egg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is targeting a feature request from Japanese users in iOS 4 with new support for several dozen "official" Emoji emoticons accessible from the Japanese Romaji keyboard.

After activating the Japanese Romaji keyboard (used to enter Roman-style characters), reader Davide Crudo noted that a new character key appears on the numbers keyboard: the "^_^" smile.

Typing the key inserts a smile emoticon and presents a popup listing of alternatives below it. Clicking the arrow, or hitting space bar to cycle through the options, brings up an editing panel for choosing from around 50 different alternatives that are commonly used in Japan.

Users can flick through the pages of different Emoji character sequences by touch, or cycle through options by tapping the spacebar.

Once entered, an emoticon sequence acts like a regular block of characters. After entering an emotion in Notes, its default Marker Felt font is changed to Helvetica for all text within that note.

• Reply 6 of 27
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    My God they've done it. I mean, I know we all had scientists around the world working on this, but I had no idea the Japanese had cracked it. Why wasn't this bigger news? How did this get by me?

It's a whole new world, ladies and gentlemen.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    kaz-kkaz-k Posts: 1member
    but we can't edit them, can we?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

After the app enables the keyboard it's no longer under Japanese. it's on it's own under Dutch and before English (UK)
  • Reply 9 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    While I like the notes font, I would like to be able to use Helvetica as well. Sigh! Someday.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    This is NO "emoji", ("picture characters") but instead "kaomoji" ("face characters"). The former are one-character wide graphical icons, (akin to emoticons) almost universally compatible accross the three japanese carriers (bar iPhone). The latter are simply combinations of parentheses/punctuation/speciall characters to resemble faces.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

This is NO "emoji", ("picture characters") but instead "kaomoji" ("face characters"). The former are one-character wide graphical icons, (akin to emoticons) almost universally compatible accross the three japanese carriers (bar iPhone). The latter are simply combinations of parentheses/punctuation/speciall characters to resemble faces.

Yes... This should be clarified in the article to avoid confusion. Love ya, AppleInsider, but those ain't Emoji.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

After the app enables the keyboard it's no longer under Japanese. it's on it's own under Dutch and before English (UK)

Yeah it caught me by surprise as well after using the Spell Number app easter egg to enable Emoji. I thought it didn't work, then I saw it as its own keyboard, no longer under Japanese.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    \(^ ^)/
  • Reply 13 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They have "official" smilies?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah it caught me by surprise as well after using the Spell Number app easter egg to enable Emoji. I thought it didn't work, then I saw it as its own keyboard, no longer under Japanese.

I still can't access it. This is the app I origianlly bought for Emoji that was working through v2.x and 3.x.
    Is there a free app that enables it in v4.0?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    colinhcolinh Posts: 15member
    Quote:

In case you missed it, iPhone OS is now simply "iOS" and Mac OS X is now simply "iOS Development Platform". ~@dsandler

Reading this thread was worth it for that sig alone
  • Reply 16 of 27
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Kaomoji: http://www.omgsoysauce.com/10833/jap...what-it-means/

Emoji: http://1800goiphone.com/wp-content/u...emoji1jpg.jpeg

Kaomoji are like smilies, except not sideways. Emoji are actually images, and are accessible on the iPhone from a completely separate keyboard. On non-Japanese iPhones, you need to get one of the free Emoji-enabling apps to use them. (I use this app Emoji Free )And then, it only works with other iPhones or certain japanese handsets that use the same emoji encoding. Luckily, emoji are set to be standardized in Unicode soon. (http://sites.google.com/site/unicode.../emoji-symbols)

Fix the headline, please?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Emoji (or whatever the right term is) has been available for customers in Japan without a 3rd party app since iOS 2. They just had to have a SoftBank SIM card.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2404
  • Reply 18 of 27
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    [QUOTE=gvisser;1661930]Those are Emoticons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticons

Emoji are the icons and pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

But, that page you linked to says the emoji are both emoticons and pictures. Here a the quote from that page: "Emoji (絵文字?) is the Japanese term for the picture characters or emoticons used in Japanese wireless messages and webpages"
  • Reply 19 of 27
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I still can't access it. This is the app I origianlly bought for Emoji that was working through v2.x and 3.x.
    Is there a free app that enables it in v4.0?

Try Spell Number if it is still available. I didn't try the above app.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Try Spell Number if it is still available. I didn't try the above app.

Nope, didn't work. However, when I looked for that app in the App Store, the search also listed Emoji Free which was updated just last month, while the app you recommended and the app I previously mentioned haven't been update since 2009, long before iOS 4.0 was present. Emoji Free works perfectly.