Macbook pro running VERY hot

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, so i've done a fair amoutn of searching and seen that the macbook pros do run hot, but do they run this hot?

I've got a 3 week-old 15 inch Macbook pro with core i7. Now, I fired up counterstrike the other night and noticed the case was getting VERY hot. I placed my fingers on teh back and touched the black hinge and actually burnt my finger! Surely this isn't normal, right?

Anyone else with the same kind of thing? Is it an actual problem?

cheers in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    There's a reason they're called "notebooks" now instead of laptops.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

There's a reason they're called "notebooks" now instead of laptops.

okaaayyyy.

So, is that a yes or no?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I don't know. I do know that if the computer is stable, then it is not overheating.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post

Ok, so i've done a fair amoutn of searching and seen that the macbook pros do run hot, but do they run this hot?

I've got a 3 week-old 15 inch Macbook pro with core i7. Now, I fired up counterstrike the other night and noticed the case was getting VERY hot. I placed my fingers on teh back and touched the black hinge and actually burnt my finger! Surely this isn't normal, right?

Anyone else with the same kind of thing? Is it an actual problem?

The CPU temp of the i7 has been recorded at over 100 degrees Celsius. Mobile chips can handle the high temps but they don't all run that hot. Apple doesn't use enough cooling for these chips and PC laptops with the same chips do a better job. When the MBP channels that heat into a metal enclosure, it will give you some burns. Apple would rather burn you than have you suffer fan noise.

It's not an actual problem in the same way that a pot of boiling water isn't a problem. You just need to know not to touch it. It's an area Apple could use some R&D. They've gone IPS with screens, better batteries, magical touch inputs, all sorts of sensors (HDD, accelerometer, gyroscope, ambient light), I think it's time they did some work on the cooling front.

There are 3rd party fan control programs where you can ramp up the fans to keep it running cooler like Fan Control or SMC Fan Control.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    You're using the notebook wrong!

There is no problem!

There might be a problem, stay tuned...

All kidding aside, Marvin's right. Also, make sure you're not blocking the back on the notebook where the hot air is supposed to be ejected. Put it on a smooth hard surface i.e desk when playing intense games and not, say, a pillow or blanket in your lap.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Thanks for the replies.

I've downloaded those 3rd party apps and Fan Control really seems to help!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post

Thanks for the replies.

I've downloaded those 3rd party apps and Fan Control really seems to help!

Yeah, I use that one myself. It has a temperature ramp that you can set so that it automatically adjusts the fan speed to bring the temp down quicker.

I keep the base speed at 1000 RPM and use 60 min and 90 max. It stays silent most of the time and idles around 45-60 depending on ambient temperature and ramps up when doing any processing.

I also use Temperature Monitor docked in the menu bar to keep an eye on the CPU temps:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

If you use it, in preferences, set the menu bar font to Helvetica 12 to make it look nicer.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah, I use that one myself. It has a temperature ramp that you can set so that it automatically adjusts the fan speed to bring the temp down quicker.

I keep the base speed at 1000 RPM and use 60 min and 90 max. It stays silent most of the time and idles around 45-60 depending on ambient temperature and ramps up when doing any processing.

I also use Temperature Monitor docked in the menu bar to keep an eye on the CPU temps:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

If you use it, in preferences, set the menu bar font to Helvetica 12 to make it look nicer.

Ok so is this the official (from i7 owners) word on the heating issue? I am looking to get a laptop and MBP is a strong option but the biggest thing stopping me is their heat issues. So this thread confirms my fears, but from what you are saying this thread has alleviated those fears as well. The temps are much more acceptable with the 3rd party Fan controller in control of the fan? How hot does your MBP get when doing more intensive stuff compared to the temps you said when idling? I am willing to bite the bullet and accept the average hardware in a MBP if i know it wont all melt cause of Apples phobia of fan noise lol.

EDIT:

By the way, if i plan on getting a laptop 2-3 months from now, is getting a MBP at that time a stupid idea? In September the current refresh will have been out for 5 months ( 150 days ) and isn't there a Macbook/Macbook Pro refresh every 200-250 days? I could wait another 2 months knowing i will be buying the brand new MBP instead of buying this MBP in 2 months and knowing in another 2 a new one will be out.

(Btw im not Pro-Waiting for new tech to come out persay, im just saying in THIS case...2 months is a very short time, and $2,500 is a lot of money for a laptop that will get outdated knowingly in 2 months)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

The temps are much more acceptable with the 3rd party Fan controller in control of the fan? How hot does your MBP get when doing more intensive stuff compared to the temps you said when idling? I am willing to bite the bullet and accept the average hardware in a MBP if i know it wont all melt cause of Apples phobia of fan noise lol.

I use Fan Control on a Mini so the CPU temp doesn't affect the hard drive but I'd see even the Core 2 Duo up at 85C after working it a bit and Apple didn't kick the fans in. After using the software, I've never seen it go above 60.

Be aware that this software does modify the SMC firmware that controls the fan. You have to do an SMC reset to remove the changes but I haven't seen any adverse effects after using it for over a year.

I think the developer of SMCFanControl changed their software to not modify the SMC firmware and it resets when you shut down the app but I found Fan Control better as it works after reboot and has a ramp you can adjust.

Quote:

By the way, if i plan on getting a laptop 2-3 months from now, is getting a MBP at that time a stupid idea? In September the current refresh will have been out for 5 months ( 150 days ) and isn't there a Macbook/Macbook Pro refresh every 200-250 days?

There's a refresh whenever new hardware is available but in the laptops, there won't be new chips until 2011 and the chips run hot enough as it is so I doubt they will bump up the clock speeds. GPUs will likely be the same too.

If there was a refresh, I'd say it would be to do with better display technology, USB 3 and other features like that - maybe widi (wireless display output). Some price cuts would be the best thing they could do.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

I use Fan Control on a Mini so the CPU temp doesn't affect the hard drive but I'd see even the Core 2 Duo up at 85C after working it a bit and Apple didn't kick the fans in. After using the software, I've never seen it go above 60.

Be aware that this software does modify the SMC firmware that controls the fan. You have to do an SMC reset to remove the changes but I haven't seen any adverse effects after using it for over a year.

I think the developer of SMCFanControl changed their software to not modify the SMC firmware and it resets when you shut down the app but I found Fan Control better as it works after reboot and has a ramp you can adjust.

There's a refresh whenever new hardware is available but in the laptops, there won't be new chips until 2011 and the chips run hot enough as it is so I doubt they will bump up the clock speeds. GPUs will likely be the same too.

If there was a refresh, I'd say it would be to do with better display technology, USB 3 and other features like that - maybe widi (wireless display output). Some price cuts would be the best thing they could do.

Well yeah im not looking for a bump up in GPU or CPU persay, cause they already have enough issues with what they got. Assuming there is a refresh 4 months from now, i'd be looking forward more-so to things like you mentioned, usb 3.0 maybe blu ray, but even if they didnt do anything new, i would just like for maybe a refresh where they work on cooling, or at LEAST...work on the GPU integrated/non integrated battery life issue.

Im curious is it pretty strongly expected there to be a refresh every 200+ days? or is that not true?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Im curious is it pretty strongly expected there to be a refresh every 200+ days? or is that not true?

All of the hardware models go through update cycles but the Mac Pro for example was expected to be updated around March and we're now heading into July with no update. The Macbook Pros were a couple of months past their expected date.

Generally something happens around September as it's back-to-school season but updates are never 100% certain. The entry iMac needs an update from the 9400M but it probably won't get the 320M as that's a custom mobile chip and the iMac will have the standard desktop version of the 9400M. The Macbook Air needs an update too.

I reckon there will be no updates in the laptop line until January/February 2011 as that's when Sandy Bridge arrives. It should mainly improve battery life though. They may even switch to AMD as their Fusion products look pretty good but again in 2011.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

All of the hardware models go through update cycles but the Mac Pro for example was expected to be updated around March and we're now heading into July with no update. The Macbook Pros were a couple of months past their expected date.

Generally something happens around September as it's back-to-school season but updates are never 100% certain. The entry iMac needs an update from the 9400M but it probably won't get the 320M as that's a custom mobile chip and the iMac will have the standard desktop version of the 9400M. The Macbook Air needs an update too.

I reckon there will be no updates in the laptop line until January/February 2011 as that's when Sandy Bridge arrives. It should mainly improve battery life though. They may even switch to AMD as their Fusion products look pretty good but again in 2011.

Hmm well, obviously thats a long time so who knows. But 3 months from now, at that point, 2011 isnt SO far away...and getting in on the ground floor of such a changed MBP could have its advantages. Sucks that the best look design (chichlet keyboard, thin, metal chassis) isnt being made by anyone with good cooling. They are the best looking/feeling but all of them (Macbooks, Envys etc) get way to hot.