iPod touch won't connect to an open WiFi Network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to help my cousin with a issue on his brand new iPod touch 32 GB. He was having issues with iOS 3.0 and is now having the same issues with iOS 4.0. The issue is that when you go to the settings to connect to a open network it will show the correct network and let you seem like it is connecting, but the WiFi symbol will not show up in the top left of the iPod. If you go back to the WiFi setting the name of the network will change at random to strange names, for example the name of the network is Netgear and it will change to Nutgear and a bunch of other strange names. It has also done this with open WiFi networks at Starbucks, B&N etc. My iPhone works perfectly on the same networks. I have tried everything listed here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1398 Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raider82 View Post

I am trying to help my cousin with a issue on his brand new iPod touch 32 GB. He was having issues with iOS 3.0 and is now having the same issues with iOS 4.0. The issue is that when you go to the settings to connect to a open network it will show the correct network and let you seem like it is connecting, but the WiFi symbol will not show up in the top left of the iPod. If you go back to the WiFi setting the name of the network will change at random to strange names, for example the name of the network is Netgear and it will change to Nutgear and a bunch of other strange names. It has also done this with open WiFi networks at Starbucks, B&N etc. My iPhone works perfectly on the same networks. I have tried everything listed here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1398 Any ideas?

open settings, hold down the sleep wake button until the slider apears, hold home button.

Or connect iPod to iTunes, back it up and sync it.

Then if neither of those work wipe the iPod of all data and reinstall iOS 4