iPad and Kindle Store

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Using the iPad Kindle app, if you buy a book from the Kindle store for your iPad, how is that book accessed for reading, using the Kindle app or iBook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Using the iPad Kindle app, if you buy a book from the Kindle store for your iPad, how is that book accessed for reading, using the Kindle app or iBook?

It uses the Kindle app. Kindle purchases will not work in the iBook app due to Amazon's DRM.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

It uses the Kindle app. Kindle purchases will not work in the iBook app due to Amazon's DRM.

Thanks. OK, do you have any idea what kind of reading experience it is reading using the Kindle app on an iPad say compared to reading a book on iBook? I'd hate to spend the money buying a book only to find that reading it on the Kindle app sucked.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Thanks. OK, do you have any idea what kind of reading experience it is reading using the Kindle app on an iPad say compared to reading a book on iBook? I'd hate to spend the money buying a book only to find that reading it on the Kindle app sucked.

I don't have an iPad so you'll have to take this with a grain of salt, but the Kindle app is actually pretty decent. I have an actual Kindle which is excellent for reading and reading using the Kindle app on the iPhone is very good.

One factor to consider though might be to check if the selection is available in iBooks before purchasing a Kindle version. While I've been happy with my KIndle, I have bought some books that had extensive formatting problems (the books were readable but it was ugly in places). It seems that with the recent announcement from Amazon that iPad/iPhone users may end up enjoying a superior experience to that of the Kindle users.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I have been using the Kindle App since I bought my IPAD. I have found the prices and selection to be better in the amazon store than the ibooks store. The kindle app does not have some of the bells and whistles but works great for reading books.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    My first paid ebook was bought for Kindle app on iPad.

They don't charge for the app.

If you want to try the experience, you can download a sample of the book in question and read the sample at no charge. It's equivalent to the first chapter's worth of a typical book, sometimes multiple chapters are included for books with short chapters.

I've been happy so far, but I haven't done extensive reading with both iBook and Kindle apps to find major objections in either. However, iBooks is nicer looking, and does allow you to do a dictionary look-up, copy and search using selected text segments. Supposedly the Kindle app was just updated to offer text to speech, I have not tried it yet.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My first paid ebook was bought for Kindle app on iPad.

They don't charge for the app.

If you want to try the experience, you can download a sample of the book in question and read the sample at no charge. It's equivalent to the first chapter's worth of a typical book, sometimes multiple chapters are included for books with short chapters.

I've been happy so far, but I haven't done extensive reading with both iBook and Kindle apps to find major objections in either. However, iBooks is nicer looking, and does allow you to do a dictionary look-up, copy and search using selected text segments. Supposedly the Kindle app was just updated to offer text to speech, I have not tried it yet.

Jeff, thanks, I had missed the sample button.

I downloaded the sample chapters for Larsson's The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet Nest. The reading experience using the Kindle App was pretty similar to reading one of the free Guttenburg Project books on the iBook App.

I'm still not sold on electronic books. I've downloaded some of the free books for iPad and they came in handy when I finished the print books sooner than I had anticipated that I had taken along on a trip. Basically I only buy at most one or two books a year, preferring instead to make heavy use of our excellent regional library. So at this point, if I buy a book it's one I'm going to read more than once so I want it in hardback even though it would cost more.