Users report issues with iPhone 4 proximity sensor during calls

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Some early adopters of the iPhone 4 say they have experienced poor performance from the handset's proximity sensor, which turns off the touchscreen when the device is held against one's ear during a call.

A support thread at the Apple Discussions forum had quickly swelled to 16 pages and more than 230 posts through Monday afternoon, with users last week beginning to register complaints that the proximity sensor on their iPhone 4 is not working properly. Users said they have accidentally hung up a call, placed someone on hold, enabled speakerphone, or attempted to engage a FaceTime connection while placing a call.

"I can confirm that the iPhone sensor is working by covering it with my finger, but when held to my face, the screen blinks as if it cannot decide to disable the screen or enable it," user mdalegre wrote. "It results on me hanging up, putting calls on mute, and dialing numbers accidentally while I'm on the phone. This occurs on 90% of my calls."

Multiple users have responded, stating that they have owned previous generation iPhones and never had a problem with the proximity sensor. However, the issues seem to occur for some with the new iPhone 4 handset, released last week.

"My wife and I both have the same exact problem with out phones," user farfromovin wrote. "I was on an hour phone call this evening and my phone muted me 5 times, put me on hold and tried calling my work and then put me on hold and tried to send a text message to my work. This is very (disappointing)."

Another user, sysrage, said they spoke with Apple support which was unable to provide any solutions for the problem. And mzini wrote that they took a trip to an Apple Store and a Genius was able to replicate the problem. That employee reportedly said the matter was "probably a software issue."

Some said they exchanged their phone at an Apple store for a new one, but continue to have problems with the proximity sensor.

Many said they tried resetting the settings on their handset or restoring the software completely, but the issue remains. Some said they would resort to using a Bluetooth wireless headset until the problem is resolved.

With the iPhone 4 selling more than 1.7 million units in its first three days of availability, Apple's latest handset has received a great deal of press for its success, as well as its alleged issues. The largest issue thus far has caused some to experience dropped calls when holding the iPhone 4 in their left hand.

Apple publicly responded to the issue and stated that "gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas." The company has said that buying a $29 protective bumper, which covers the outside metal bands and antennas of the smartphone, will resolve the reception issue.

Others had launch devices with screen yellowing in the lower corners of their iPhone 4's Retina Display. One user on the AppleInsider forums alleged that the material used to bond the layers of glass in the iPhone has not yet completely evaporated, but the screen discoloration should disappear for most in a matter of days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Apple is doomed!?

sorry, had too.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Happy this is getting some press! Went to the Apple store with this issue on Friday and ended up walking out feeling like a crazy person. While this does not prove that I am not crazy, it does lend some help to getting this issue some attention from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Happy this is getting some press! Went to the Apple store with this issue on Friday and ended up walking out feeling like a crazy person. While this does not prove that I am not crazy, it does lend some help to getting this issue some attention from Apple.

I've had this happen a few times, too. Something that hasn't been an issue for since the original or 3G (I can't recall).
  • Reply 4 of 101
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    all them middle class yuppie lemmings buying up everything they can. Serves them right.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    I have been having this same problem. While making a call my phone will randomly either pull up face time, call another person, or end the call. Is this my phone or a software issue?
  • Reply 6 of 101
    People can smell blood.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    I luv my iPhone 3G right now.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Sort of like this? iPhone 4, unable to hang up a call. The screen hit my cheek prior to this....I'm part of the ADC and didn't have this error in the betas on a 3GS but do on my 4.

• Reply 9 of 101
    vatdorovatdoro Posts: 52member
    I luv my iPhone 4 right now!
  • Reply 10 of 101
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Not a problem with mine. Prolly the sensor.
  • Reply 11 of 101
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"My wife and I both have the same exact problem with out phones," user farfromovin wrote. "I was on an hour phone call this evening and my phone muted me 5 times, put me on hold and tried calling my work and then put me on hold and tried to send a text message to my work. This is very (disappointing)."

Well now it is all becoming very clear. From this excerpt we finally find out the missing features that Apple asked the FCC to keep quiet...

Apple included an anti work-skipping feature into the phone. Try to stay home from work when you really aren't sick and the phone automatically tries all methods to contact your boss to rat you out

"This isn't a software glitch, now get to work you slacker!

sent from Steve's iPad"
  • Reply 12 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

all them middle class yuppie lemmings buying up everything they can. Serves them right.

Dvorak is that you?
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

I luv my iPhone 4 right now!

oh man you ruined it for me!
  • Reply 14 of 101
    Kids, in the meantime, manually lock the screen for talking.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    moracitymoracity Posts: 26member
    My wife and I both have this problem. I don't use the phone function as much as my wife, but she's been complaining about this since day 1.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Dvorak is that you?

No, it's Michael "I never made a decent PC in my life" Dell.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    For those who have the issue, try this as noted in the article...So far, it seems it has fixed the proximity sensor issue on my phone:

Open Settings > General, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the settings page and tap on "Reset". On the next screen, tap on "Reset All Settings". I think it prompts you if your sure. Go ahead and confirm and the phone will reset. By resetting, it doesn't delete any data or unactivate the phone. It will reset the default wallpapers and you will have to reenter your wi-fi password. A few other things but nothing major. Just go through each area in the settings to verify anything you may have changed.

I'm wondering if this had to do with the fact that I first got my 4G, I restored from a backup from my older 3GS...maybe something is just wonky in the process...
  • Reply 18 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Let's see. 230 posts on the thread covering this topic.

That probably breaks down as:

- The original poster who had a problem

- 17 trolls who immediately said that they have the same problem and Apple needs to fix it immediately, even though they don't even own iPhones

- 47 people saying "I don't have a problem"

- The original poster responding to all 47 of the above saying "well, I do"

- 30 people claiming that Apple is doomed because their product quality has gotten so bad

- 52 people saying that iPhone buyers are lemmings and would buy anything Apple puts out

- 10 people who claim that Apple is for babies / idiots / sissies

- And the rest looking for directions to the rest room.

When will the people who write these idiotic stories ever get it into their heads- a complaint of a problem is irrelevant. As soon as they can provide numbers showing how many people are experiencing the problem and whether it's greater than or less than the competition, THEN maybe it would be worth writing the story.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. 230 posts on the thread covering this topic.

That probably breaks down as:

- The original poster who had a problem

- 17 trolls who immediately said that they have the same problem and Apple needs to fix it immediately, even though they don't even own iPhones

- 47 people saying "I don't have a problem"

- The original poster responding to all 47 of the above saying "well, I do"

- 30 people claiming that Apple is doomed because their product quality has gotten so bad

- 52 people saying that iPhone buyers are lemmings and would buy anything Apple puts out

- And the rest looking for directions to the rest room.

When will the people who write these idiotic stories ever get it into their heads- a complaint of a problem is irrelevant. As soon as they can provide numbers showing how many people are experiencing the problem and whether it's greater than or less than the competition, THEN maybe it would be worth writing the story.

• Reply 20 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm not worried about this issue at all. It's the other issue that troubles me.