Apple posts five new job listings for antenna engineers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hiring antenna peeps? For what? Hmmm....

Perhaps they're to replace the previous ones.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    It'll be interesting to see if this antenna design makes it to the next revision of the iPhone.

Remember that Mr. Ive's other stroke of genius, the recessed headphone jack on the original iPhone, wasn't a mistake either (but funnily enough was replaced with a standard headphone jack ASAP).
  • Reply 23 of 61
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

It'll be interesting to see if this antenna design makes it to the next revision of the iPhone.

Remember that Mr. Ive's other stroke of genius, the recessed headphone jack on the original iPhone, wasn't a mistake either (but funnily enough was replaced with a standard headphone jack ASAP).

Just curious, what was the justification for recessed headphone jack? Can you send some links?
  • Reply 24 of 61
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Just curious, what was the justification for recessed headphone jack? Can you send some links?

Sturdier and lower profile.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hey guys, cheer up. Microsoft has already killed the KIN

That is, by far, the best news I have heard all day.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You are succumbing to paranoia and hysteria, which is what almost all conspiracy theorists suffer from. And Bush ordered the World Trade Center to be blown up, right?

Seriously, you don't think he had anything to do with it?
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Returned mine today. After having the phone for a few days, I realized that I could live with my 3GS just fine, better in some ways. I found that I prefer the curved, "sticky" plastic back of the 3GS over the newer "boxy" form of iphone 4. -- just easier and more comfortable to hold IMO. The 3GS is also a bit lighter and less "dense" feeling; the trade off for a larger, more robust battery. And yes, I had reception issues from day 1 that did affect call quality. Incidentally, I tried the scotch tape trick which.. worked. I will surely miss that screen though.

..But what bugs me here is the fact that Apple knew that attenuation was going to be an issue(don't kid yourselves otherwise), yet had the balls to introduce the "bumper" for an absurd premium of$30. $14.99, ok fine but $30 is a goddamn insult to it's customers. *end rant*
  • Reply 28 of 61
    The iPhone 4 launched on June 24, the antenna jobs have dates of June 16 and June 23 I believe. Therefore, the jobs postings have nothing to do with the alleged iPhone 4 antenna issues, they were already looking for antenna engineers for future development and probably to just simply make their antenna better for future development and who knows - maybe for the Verizon phone.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Returned mine today. After having the phone for a few days, I realized that I could live with my 3GS just fine, better in some ways. I found that I prefer the curved, "sticky" plastic back of the 3GS over the newer "boxy" form of iphone 4. -- just easier and more comfortable to hold IMO. The 3GS is also a bit lighter and less "dense" feeling; the trade off for a larger, more robust battery. And yes, I had reception issues from day 1 that did affect call quality. Incidentally, I tried the scotch tape trick which.. worked. I will surely miss that screen though.

..But what bugs me here is the fact that Apple knew that attenuation was going to be an issue(don't kid yourselves otherwise), and had the balls to introduce the "bumper" for an absurd premium of$30. $14.99, ok fine but $30 is a goddamn insult to it's customers. *end rant*

Couldn't agree more. My iPhone 4 is out too. Back to good old 3GS. I too miss the screen and the camera.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

The iPhone 4 launched on June 24, the antenna jobs have dates of June 16 and June 23 I believe. Therefore, the jobs postings have nothing to do with the alleged iPhone 4 antenna issues[...]

Walt Mossberg, who notably complained about iP4 connectivity, published his review in the WSJ on June 20th, in which he states "I've been testing the iPhone 4 for more than a week."

I've not had the opportunity to test the death grip on voice calls but on data communications, the death grip kills throughput immediately--and often completely--in areas of likely weak signal strength but 5 bars (before applying the death grip).

As for bumpers, I bought one so I don't have to hold the phone differently or wonder if I'm not getting the best possible Wi-Fi, BT, GSM and UMTS reception anywhere, any time. As for their price, IMHO bumpers are well designed and contain many more precision parts than perhaps any other iPhone/iPod case out there.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Heck, he must have fired the entire iPhone team based on this article.

If I were Steve it certainly would have crossed my mind.

At minimum I would've held a close and friendly discussion with them. In the boardroom.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

..But what bugs me here is the fact that Apple knew that attenuation was going to be an issue(don't kid yourselves otherwise), yet had the balls to introduce the "bumper" for an absurd premium of$30. $14.99, ok fine but $30 is a goddamn insult to it's customers. *end rant*

1) You could have made a couple hundred dollars on it from eBay or Craig's List. I did the same thing with my iPad WiFi, only later realizing it.

2) I disagree with your assessment of the reason the Bumpers exist. Your entire premise is that Apple knew some (not all) phones would be affected, and thought "no one scrutinizes our products so they'll never know a subset of iPhone 4s will have service issues." That makes absolutely no sense when a cheap fix at the factory would be an invisible film over the metal band.

3) People are saying it costs 3¢ to make the Bumper so there is no price that would make everyone happy. You eventually get to a point where, say, "it's only $2.99 they should give anyone one because they can afford it." It's silly! You shouldn't need a Bumper or any other insulator on the iPhone 4. Mine doesn't need it. Other people I know don't need it!
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You are succumbing to paranoia and hysteria, which is what almost all conspiracy theorists suffer from. And Bush ordered the World Trade Center to be blown up, right?

Nicely said!
  • Reply 34 of 61
    glockpopglockpop Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The hiring announcement has nothing to do with the thousands of reports of antenna malfunctions. Why? Because there is no antenna problem, period.

Everyone who is complaining about dropping signal is fabricating a story and using CGI effects.

Again for everyone else who has "problems" with their antennae: YOU ARE MAKING IT UP.

You don't own an iPhone 4, hysterical troll.

Also, if you'd ever had any exposure to math, you'd know that "thousands" of reports are a tiny proportion of the millions sold. Also, this is not a "malfunction." Keep masturbating, stop sharing.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An iPhone user demonstrated in a Vimeo video that cupping the phone to cause its signal bar to reach zero did not have a discernible effect on the actual quality of the call, suggesting that phone's software may be excessively sensitive in reporting signal drop.

iPhone 4 Reception "Issue" Has No Real Effect on Calls from P S on Vimeo.

Typical AI, scouring the web for anything that makes Apple look good, or Android look bad, and ignoring anything that doesn't fit these criteria.

The bit I have quoted is classic. PCmag.com actually did a test with data and found that it is more than just a glitch in the signal strength meter and that the signal is actually being affected:

Quote:

However, in an experiment conducted by PCMag.com Thursday, the iPhone 4 reception problem could indeed be replicated, with the so-called "death grip" ? where the iPhone 4 was held with fingers touching the three antenna "lines" circling the device ? causing the signal to drop.

In our testing, we discovered that the iPhone 4 "death grip" is definitely real. Using the Speedtest.net speed testing software, we started a test with the phone sitting on a tabletop. If we picked up the phone with a slightly sweaty hand and purposefully put one finger on each of the three "lines" around the edge of the device, with the corner tucked into the pad of the hand, the speed dropped dramatically and sometimes stalled out. Returning it to the tabletop caused things to speed up again.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365650,00.asp
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You could have made a couple hundred dollars on it from eBay or Craig's List. I did the same thing with my iPad WiFi, only later realizing it.

2) I disagree with your assessment of the reason the Bumpers exist. Your entire premise is that Apple knew some (not all) phones would be affected, and thought "no one scrutinizes our products so they'll never know a subset of iPhone 4s will have service issues." That makes absolutely no sense when a cheap fix at the factory would be an invisible film over the metal band.

3) People are saying it costs 3¢ to make the Bumper so there is no price that would make everyone happy. You eventually get to a point where, say, "it's only $2.99 they should give anyone one because they can afford it." It's silly! You shouldn't need a Bumper or any other insulator on the iPhone 4. Mine doesn't need it. Other people I know don't need it!

1) I know, and I had considered craigslist as well, but didn't just didn't want the hassle. Iphones do have incredible resale value.

2) I don't know, it seems like quite a coincidence to me, you know, especially since the bumper is just that, and not a fully protective case. But yes, in the same breath, I am perplexed as to why a coating/film wasn't added.

3) I can't agree with your rebuttle on this one. $30 is egregious pricing IMO. I'm willing to pay a fair premium for Apple products because they are usually of solid value, but $30? No way.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

"thousands" of reports are a tiny proportion of the millions sold.

That's going to make the thousands of people who bought a piece of junk nice and happy. They are JUST in the unlucky 1% to spend several hundred dollars on a phone which can not make phone calls when held.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

2) I don't know, it seems like quite a coincidence to me, you know, especially since the bumper is just that, and not a fully protective case. But yes, in the same breath, I am perplexed as to why a coating/film wasn't added. .

They sold a case for the newly released iPad, too. They even sold socks for the iPod years ago. I don't think either one of those products indicated that there was an issue with the product. The protection over the antenna is purely coincidental. The device is flat on either end so capping the obvious rim so the glass ends don't touch a flat object makes perfect sense. Again, if the solution is insulation at a single point on the phone and it's known, then selling an expensive accessory is the worst possible way to handle the issue. The only rational conclusion is this isn't some huge conspiracy to sell Bumpers with Jobs sitting in his office crossing his fingers thinking "I hope people don't realize how we designed it to be defective so you'd be forced to by a Bumper."

Also, if they were designed because the external antenna was a problem and they couldn't put a layer of insulating spray over the frame during production, it seems likely that they would have included the Bumper with every iPhone 4, in the box and already on by default. They would have all been black-on-black or white-on-white, allowing the consumer to by the other colours, or maybe nicer ones as accessories. I guarantee you that if this was a "design flaw" the cost of a class action, just for a fraction of the lawyer fees, would be more than all the Bumpers they could have shipped on iPhone 4s in the box from day one. All this conspiracy talk makes no sense if we assume Apple has no idea how people tear their products apart and what people sue them over. I can assure everyone that they most certainly do.

Quote:

3) I can't agree with your rebuttle on this one. $30 is egregious pricing IMO. I'm willing to pay a fair premium for Apple products because they are usually of solid value, but $30? No way.

I bought a Bumper today. Not because I have an signal loss issues as I have none even when I don't have five bars. I bought it because the much smaller size coupled with the slightly heavier weight and dense feeling materials makes me wonder if I'm going to break it. As Andy Ihhatko stated, it's slippery and the Bumpers give you that added grip and insurance when using it. The metallic buttons on the Bumper make it feel right, too.

I paid $367.xx (with tax for my iPhone 4. I pay $80/month for AT&T service. I go out to restaurants and pay $50 for a steak and $10-20 for a drink. Since I'm not going to spend money per month for iPhone insurance that also comes with a hefty deductible I'll gladly spend $30 for something that makes me feel assured my investment is protected.

PS: Sold my 3GS on Craig's List for $275. Could have gotten quite a bit more a week earlier. Oh well.

PPS: A bit off topic, but the reason I sold my iPad was the mobileSafari cache issue. That is apparently a definitely bug with all other iOS devices having an unlimited cache and the iPad having 25Kb cache. LOL
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

That's going to make the thousands of people who bought a piece of junk nice and happy. They are JUST in the unlucky 1% to spend several hundred dollars on a phone which can not make phone calls when held.

If only there was some way to return it for a refund and a cancelation of their contract or to sell it to some else for a huge profit. These people are so stuck!
  • Reply 40 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Look at BestBuy. All the other iPhone 4 cases are $25-30.

Everyone charges a lot of extra money for peripherals and add-ons. Get over it.