Apple posts five new job listings for antenna engineers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They sold a case for the newly released iPad, too. They even sold socks for the iPod years ago. I don't think either one of those products indicated that there was an issue with the product. The protection over the antenna is purely coincidental. The device is flat on either end so capping the obvious rim so the glass ends don't touch a flat object makes perfect sense. Again, if the solution is insulation at a single point on the phone and it's known, then selling an expensive accessory is the worst possible way to handle the issue. The only rational conclusion is this isn't some huge conspiracy to sell Bumpers with Jobs sitting in his office crossing his fingers thinking "I hope people don't realize how we designed it to be defective so you'd be forced to by a Bumper."

Also, if they were designed because the external antenna was a problem and they couldn't put a layer of insulating spray over the frame during production, it seems likely that they would have included the Bumper with every iPhone 4, in the box and already on by default. They would have all been black-on-black or white-on-white, allowing the consumer to by the other colours, or maybe nicer ones as accessories. I guarantee you that if this was a "design flaw" the cost of a class action, just for a fraction of the lawyer fees, would be more than all the Bumpers they could have shipped on iPhone 4s in the box from day one. All this conspiracy talk makes no sense if we assume Apple has no idea how people tear their products apart and what people sue them over. I can assure everyone that they most certainly do.

I bought a Bumper today. Not because I have an signal loss issues as I have none even when I don't have five bars. I bought it because the much smaller size coupled with the slightly heavier weight and dense feeling materials makes me wonder if I'm going to break it. As Andy Ihhatko stated, it's slippery and the Bumpers give you that added grip and insurance when using it. The metallic buttons on the Bumper make it feel right, too.

I paid $367.xx (with tax for my iPhone 4. I pay $80/month for AT&T service. I go out to restaurants and pay $50 for a steak and $10-20 for a drink. Since I'm not going to spend money per month for iPhone insurance that also comes with a hefty deductible I'll gladly spend $30 for something that makes me feel assured my investment is protected.

PS: Sold my 3GS on Craig's List for $275. Could have gotten quite a bit more a week earlier. Oh well.

PPS: A bit off topic, but the reason I sold my iPad was the mobileSafari cache issue. That is apparently a definitely bug with all other iOS devices having an unlimited cache and the iPad having 25Kb cache. LOL

I know, and I'm not trying to demonize Apple or Jobs. They bring amazing products to market and we all appreciate that, quite obviously. You make a convincing point, yet I still have to question their pricing primarily with regards to their peripherals.

I was also afraid of dropping the phone-- another reason I decided to sell. I didn't want to add additional weight with a full case, and didn't feel the bumper would provide enough protection. It's a beautiful device, no doubt about it.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I know, and I'm not trying to demonize Apple or Jobs. They bring amazing products to market and we all appreciate that, quite obviously. You make a convincing point, yet I still have to question their pricing primarily with regards to their peripherals.

I was also afraid of dropping the phone-- another reason I decided to sell. I didn't want to add additional weight with a full case, and didn't feel the bumper would provide enough protection. It's a beautiful device, no doubt about it.

The great thing about a free market is anyone can play. I don't think it takes long for anyone to make a knock off bumper to sell, or a case that protects the back, too, for less money. The only think they probably won't include if they plan to sell it for under $19 is the metal buttons built into the plastic.

Regarding Apple's accessories, I have spend more than my share of money on accessories and various cables for iDevices that always seem to fall apart or stop working fairly quickly. I thought I was saving money but the build quality was awful. On another note, even now my well worn 30-pin connector from Apple (which put up a good fight) was replaced in an Apple Store. I showed him the frayed end and he didn't show me where I can buy another one, he simply took my old one and got me a new one. I like that!

Playing Devil's advocate: One could argue that by pricing the Bumper at $29 is sets up all the accessory makers to fall on or under that price, in way Apple doing them a solid (ok, I'm laughing too).
  • Reply 43 of 61
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member

There are no connectivity problems.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    From exploit to perfection.

...Or did those three who grabbed their stuff and got lost indeed not know
  • Reply 45 of 61
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

is "highlighted" code-word for "we had no idea until another site broke the news"?

is AppleStud code-word for TekStud?
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Steve Jobs

I couldn't turn up a source for that. URL?
  • Reply 47 of 61
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

If only there was some way to return it for a refund and a cancelation of their contract or to sell it to some else for a huge profit. These people are so stuck!

Yeah, that 10% restocking fee ain't so bad. Neither is that ETF.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Plunge that friggin' GPS antenna into where it's been before, Apple. You don't need NASA complex in your pocket to reach a bluetooth headset.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You are succumbing to paranoia and hysteria, which is what almost all conspiracy theorists suffer from. And Bush ordered the World Trade Center to be blown up, right?

Muslims or Taliban did it right?

Fool.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:

Yeah, that 10% restocking fee ain't so bad. Neither is that ETF.

If only there was a way no to legally not pay them because the product didn't work as advertised. What a fucking concept!
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Will someone please scan their receipt and show everyone WHERE it states that Apple charges a 10% restocking fee for iPhones? I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't charge 10% for returning an iPhone.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

If only there was a way no to legally not pay them because the product didn't work as advertised. What a fucking concept!

Actually, Apple is refusing to admit any error or problem with the phone and thus they will refuse to waive the 10% restocking fee.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

This is about as close as we are going to get to Apple publicly acknowledging its royal screw-up.

If only Steve Jobs had the humility to tell everyone he made a mistake instead of saying "you're holding it wrong" or "there is no problem".

LOL. Don't you believe it? Steve says THERE IS NO RECEPTION ISSUE. STAY TUNED*

Stay tuned to what, I have no idea.

*http://gizmodo.com/5573680/steve-job...ue--stay-tuned

For those who haven't heard of this
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by losgofres View Post

Will someone please scan their receipt and show everyone WHERE it states that Apple charges a 10% restocking fee for iPhones? I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't charge 10% for returning an iPhone.

Have you actually tried to return a phone to Apple? Yes, there is a restocking fee.

Quote:

Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened iPhone. Shipping fees are not refundable.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...#iphonereturns

I don't know how much clearer it can get than that.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Very nice....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

There are no connectivity problems.

• Reply 56 of 61
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I bought a Bumper today. Not because I have an signal loss issues as I have none even when I don't have five bars. I bought it because the much smaller size coupled with the slightly heavier weight and dense feeling materials makes me wonder if I'm going to break it. As Andy Ihhatko stated, it's slippery and the Bumpers give you that added grip and insurance when using it. The metallic buttons on the Bumper make it feel right, too.

Mine has slid off things and nearly on the floor too...I'm waiting for cases that I want but maybe I'll get a bumper in the meantime.

As one of those thousands with the problem I'm still very happy with the phone.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Mine has slid off things and nearly on the floor too...I'm waiting for cases that I want but maybe I'll get a bumper in the meantime.

As one of those thousands with the problem I'm still very happy with the phone.

It's a pretty stylish protector. Of course, it's really only assisting it from sliding and if it falls on a flat or concave surface. If it lands on the glass of anything protruding you might be screwed.

I'm waiting for a new Marware SportShell case for jogging. I sold it with my 3GS and my Mophie Jack Pack Air. I liked them a lot!.

I have to think Mophie will continually lose business as Apple focuses on longer battery life. It's too bad other handset vendors can't use the same case style and as many units so accessory makers can focus on them, too.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    No worries, apple is just trying to find an engineer that holds the phone the wrong way. All the good engineers at Apple hold it the right way and totally missed the issue.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:

That's going to make the thousands of people who bought a piece of junk nice and happy. They are JUST in the unlucky 1% to spend several hundred dollars on a phone which can not make phone calls when held.

Ok, so what exactly is your problem. You neither have a Iphone nor a Mac and never will. So, why come to apple sites at all, just power up your Winslow or Angriod device be happy with that.

The point is why even debate when you are & will not be a participant of any of it.

You were born like this or time made you.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    I was a keyboard guy for all my life and not a single day a radio engineer.

Yet my general knowledge of the stuff around baseband processors makes me strongly believe a software fix indeed exists. Sure, at the cost of the perfection of some phone characteristics.

Will not feed ars-style untechnical trolls right now; still will be holding my breath in expectancy Apple see the resolution....