iPhone 4 Review: 3 - Camera Photos & Videos

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    muqmuqmuqmuq Posts: 10member
    Why is there a pigeon in exactly the same place — bottom left — in the images titled "iPhone 3GS video" and "IPhone 4 video"?

Is this also an iPhone feature?
  • Reply 42 of 95
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muqmuq View Post

Why is there a pigeon in exactly the same place ? bottom left ? in the images titled "iPhone 3GS video" and "IPhone 4 video"?

Is this also an iPhone feature?

Pigeon? Can you link to the images or video you're referring to?
  • Reply 43 of 95
    mr_cazorpmr_cazorp Posts: 39member
    I'd like to see some image stabilization in future updates. The video looks great but holding that little phone makes for some seriously wobbly shots at times. The gyroscope could probably be used to smooth things out quite nicely.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Pigeon? Can you link to the images or video you're referring to?

in the story to which these comments refer, page 3

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...os.html&page=3

I am intrigued how stills from two separate videos from two separate devices can show a pigeon in exactly the same place.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    Quote:

I am intrigued how stills from two separate videos from two separate devices can show a pigeon in exactly the same place.

Probably shot within a few seconds of each other. The pidgin could be feasting on some dead carcass, some food left by a picnic, or it's just lazy.

The photo's also appear to be cropped, probably to make them look as close as possible to each other. Basically they sampled the same 'spot' in each photo for the comparison.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    malfeitormalfeitor Posts: 22member
    2/10 is when I can upgrade so I hope that the next one has optical zoom, optical stabilization, and record 2 channel stereo sound (2 mics). Then I can sell my point and shoot camera that also records 720p.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MALFEITOR View Post

2/10 is when I can upgrade so I hope that the next one has optical zoom, optical stabilization, and record 2 channel stereo sound (2 mics). Then I can sell my point and shoot camera that also records 720p.

2 mic's are pretty much irrelevant given they would be only a few inches apart at most. I'm surprised there are no after market addons though for video hobbyists.

Image stabilization can also be had via software although it would depend on how rapidly the sensor could sample. Do-able, and if they dropped the framerate to 23.976 FPS, they would gain quite a bit more throw-away frames. There are already a few apps in the store that claim to offer it. I haven't tried any of them though.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:

Probably shot within a few seconds of each other. The pidgin could be feasting on some dead carcass, some food left by a picnic, or it's just lazy.

The photo's also appear to be cropped, probably to make them look as close as possible to each other. Basically they sampled the same 'spot' in each photo for the comparison.

I'm not so sure!

Look at the end of the path in the "iPhone 4 video" still, under the palms. There are two figures, a tall figure to the right with perhaps a backpack, and a shorter figure to his/her left. These two figures can also be made out (a little blurry) in exactly the same place in the "iPhone 3GS video" still.

It is hard to believe that a pigeon and two walking figures would be in pretty much the same place in two different videos if, as the text above the images says, the videos were each 13 seconds long.

It would be interesting to hear from the person who took these videos.... were the two iPhones taking the videos at the same time?

Very intriguing. I wonder if the famed "Reality Distortion Field" also affects time and space when shooting video?

• Reply 49 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MALFEITOR View Post

If you're going to be that specific and that demanding, why not use an SLR camera?

Quote:

They might have had it on a stand, side-by-side, and recorded at the same time.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:

I'm not so sure!

Look at the end of the path in the "iPhone 4 video" still, under the palms. There are two figures, a tall figure to the right with perhaps a backpack, and a shorter figure to his/her left. These two figures can also be made out (a little blurry) in exactly the same place in the "iPhone 3GS video" still.

It is hard to believe that a pigeon and two walking figures would be in pretty much the same place in two different videos if, as the text above the images says, the videos were each 13 seconds long.

It would be interesting to hear from the person who took these videos.... were the two iPhones taking the videos at the same time?

Very intriguing. I wonder if the famed "Reality Distortion Field" also affects time and space when shooting video?

Or perhaps they just held the two phones up at the same time? You do realize you can hold a phone in each hand?
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Quote:

Or perhaps they just held the two phones up at the same time? You do realize you can hold a phone in each hand?

Yes, that would be a reasonable explanation. Perhaps then we should get a 3D pigeon?

I am just intrigued.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    Quote:

Yes, that would be a reasonable explanation. Perhaps then we should get a 3D pigeon?

I am just intrigued.

Initially you sounded intrigued. After your 'reality distortion field' comment, and considering your low number of posts, it's far more likely you're just trolling.

So much for a decent discussion thread...
  • Reply 53 of 95
    Quote:

Initially you sounded intrigued. After your 'reality distortion field' comment, and considering your low number of posts, it's far more likely you're just trolling.

So much for a decent discussion thread...

No, I am not trolling. That is an unnecessary accusation. I am a devoted Apple user of many years and have been a reader of this site for many years. I am also a University Professor and am genuine in my communication. It cannot be inferred from my number of posts whether am a troll, and whether I join now, tomorrow or next year and make my first post is meaningless.

I simply wished to have a light-hearted discussion about something that I noticed about the images.

Have a nice day!
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Quote:

No, I am not trolling. That is an unnecessary accusation. I am a devoted Apple user of many years and have been a reader of this site for many years. I am also a University Professor and am genuine in my communication. It cannot be inferred from my number of posts whether am a troll, and whether I join now, tomorrow or next year and make my first post is meaningless.

I simply wished to have a light-hearted discussion about something that I noticed about the images.

Have a nice day!

Agreed on all points, however your 'distortion' comment tends to toss all of that out with a choice of a few poor words.

I would suggest if you want to appear genuine to other folks in the forum, you keep the unnecessary comments such as that to yourself. They are inflammatory and they don't add to any discussion.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Buckwheat?

o boy yes mixed with some whole wheat and some milk eggs butter

pancake heaven
  • Reply 56 of 95
    Quote:

Agreed on all points, however your 'distortion' comment tends to toss all of that out with a choice of a few poor words.

I would suggest if you want to appear genuine to other folks in the forum, you keep the unnecessary comments such as that to yourself. They are inflammatory and they don't add to any discussion.

It is surely a truism of the internet that an ironic sense of humour is lost on some.

Good day!
  • Reply 57 of 95
    Quote:

It is surely a truism of the internet that an ironic sense of humour is lost on some.

Good day!

If your intent was irony, rather than trolling, then please accept my apology.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    look what does apple want from me

tell me and i will do it

i want the iphone today

but i want it to last 3 yrs like my 160g ipod classic or longer

should i buy another camera ??

another cam corder ??

or is this phone good enough

or maybe ITS a great back up to my other camera, 9 yrs old sony macro >>

and or my high camcoder/ mini dv tapes that ten yrs old

does this phone do too much ???

i want to make video calls

i want to watch some tv shows

i want to watch some home movies and home photos

maybe i will get some silly 5 dollar games

i want to check email

i may want to make some voice calls

alas some .. maybe 3 out of 10 will drop

thats ok

still apple what do you want from me ??

after 12 months is this phone old hat ??

apple is known for long lasting products

maybe i will give my kids the old while i get iphone 5

or maybe htc will top apple .

i dunno

apple has changed

the throw away mode is on at apple today

and that is sad
  • Reply 59 of 95
    Quote:

If your intent was irony, rather than trolling, then please accept my apology.

Cool ? apology accepted.

I still think it's weird the video stills are the same image for the 2 different cameras.

In any case, distortion field aside, on all counts the iPhone 4 looks so much better.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    Quote:

Cool — apology accepted.

I still think it's weird the video stills are the same image for the 2 different cameras.

In any case, distortion field aside, on all counts the iPhone 4 looks so much better.

I actually thought that the 3GS looked far worse than any outside video's that I've done. I dont know why those all have that odd blue cast to them and also much softer than my own. possibly just variance between handsets I suppose. Mine actually took very good photo's and video's outside.

Ah well. I do like the quality on the 4G, although I wish they had used a warmer LED for the flash. The built in one tends to be a little too blue.