Rumor: Apple has built, tested CDMA iPhone, but no Verizon deal yet

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has already built a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone that is being "perfected all the time," but it's not likely that a formal deal with Verizon is in place, according to a new rumor.

Responding to this week's report from Bloomberg which claimed that Apple will launch a Verizon iPhone in January of 2011, Jim Dalrymple of The Loop shared some information on the subject Thursday. He likened the CDMA iPhone allegedly being tested and perfected at Apple to the Intel-powered version of Mac OS X that the company kept under wraps for years.

"Apple already has a Verizon compatible iPhone," Dalrymple said. "It's not that they have to rush around Apple HQ and start building the thing for a January launch with Verizon."

But he went on to say that he does not believe that a deal with Verizon has been finalized. He said that it's likely the two companies are in negotiations, and the leak provided to Bloomberg may have been another negotiating tactic.

"I'm sure the negotiations are very tense, and I believe, ongoing," he wrote.

Also this week, John Gruber of Daring Fireball said that a new Verizon-compatible phone would not be a holdup for a potential deal with Apple. He, too, said that the CDMA iPhone is similar to the Intel-compatible version of Mac OS X.

"It's all strategy and negotiations," Gruber said. "I wouldn't have been shocked if they'd gone to Verizon a year ago, and wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't happen for another two or three years. But whenever the time comes, hardware won't hold it up."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    Could be for SPRINT as they are CDMA also. Though the 2012 exclusive deal with AT&T seems to again speculate all this is RUMOR! Plus there are other countries that are running CDMA as well so stop thinking small - Think GLOBALLY

VZ (VERIZON) is as stingy as AAPL (APPLE) - Vcast for music and iTunes for music respectively they both want the $$$$ from the downloads.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple already has a Verizon compatible iPhone," Dalrymple said. "It's not that they have to rush around Apple HQ and start building the thing for a January launch with Verizon."

But he went on to say that he does not believe that a deal with Verizon has been finalized. He said that it's likely the two companies are in negotiations, and the leak provided to Bloomberg may have been another negotiating tactic.

A wag noted some time ago that the main sticking point was Verizon's insistence on a Verizon logo on the phone.

My own guess is that they're insisting on a piece of the App Store.

Sorry, VZ -- neither of these will happen.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Rumor: Apple has tested a new TV set running Apple software that is being "perfected all the time," but it's not likely that a formal introduction is in place.

Can we please have a story on that, AI, with me listed as the source?
  • Reply 4 of 68
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    It sounds like Dalrymple is just speculating and does not have any specific information.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    I wonder what the media reaction would have been if Gizmodo 'acquired' a CDMA test unit instead of the GSM unit.

That would have made for an interesting WWDC keynote speech.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I wonder what the media reaction would have been if Gizmodo 'acquired' a CDMA test unit instead of the GSM unit.

That would have made for an interesting WWDC keynote speech.

so true!
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:

A wag noted some time ago that the main sticking point was Verizon's insistence on a Verizon logo on the phone.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing! After all....maybe Verizon customers actually want to advertise that their iPhone can stick through a 10 minute call without dropping 3 times! And that Verizon logo is the "I can make calls!" badge...

In all seriousness, every single other carrier in the world has agreed to not putting their logo on the iPhone. I doubt this is a "major" sticking point for VZ.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    notabullnotabull Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsshapiro View Post

Could be for SPRINT as they are CDMA also. Though the 2012 exclusive deal with AT&T seems to again speculate all this is RUMOR! Plus there are other countries that are running CDMA as well so stop thinking small - Think GLOBALLY

VZ (VERIZON) is as stingy as AAPL (APPLE) - Vcast for music and iTunes for music respectively they both want the $$$$ from the downloads.

The problem with Sprint is that they would need Apple to develop a WiMax+EVDO product. Verizon are launching LTE which is more of a worldwide standard so a Verizon phone *today* would be EVDO only, and then in 6/12/24 months they'd want to have one that is LTE+EVDO. LTE+EVDO is Qualcomm's speciality and this makes for an expensive phone.

This is why AT&T have the short to medium term advantage. They will move to HSPA+ which can easily offer the same bandwidth as LTE and WiMax without the massively disrupting addition of a new and incompatible technology. There isn't enough spectrum out there to allow LTE to reach its full potential in the near term anyway...
  • Reply 9 of 68
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has already built a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone that is being "perfected all the time," but it's not likely that a formal deal with Verizon is in place, according to a new rumor.

Responding to this week's report from Bloomberg which claimed that Apple will launch a Verizon iPhone in January of 2011, Jim Dalrymple of The Loop shared some information on the subject Thursday. He likened the CDMA iPhone allegedly being tested and perfected at Apple to the Intel-powered version of Mac OS X that the company kept under wraps for years.

Also this week, John Gruber of Daring Fireball said that a new Verizon-compatible phone would not be a holdup for a potential deal with Apple. He, too, said that the CDMA iPhone is similar to the Intel-compatible version of Mac OS X.

"It's all strategy and negotiations," Gruber said. "I wouldn't have been shocked if they'd gone to Verizon a year ago, and wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't happen for another two or three years. But whenever the time comes, hardware won't hold it up."

I know you guys live on rumours but this is rumour mongering at it's worst. It's almost certainly a circular rumour-feeding-off-of-rumour situation.

In the first place, Gruber has actually *not* said that there was a CDMA phone already in production, he just said he wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Most other people wouldn't either. Gruber actually doesn't know anything and said as much in his original article.

Secondly, the guy from the loop seems to be basically relying on Gruber for evidence of the CDMA phone. Then you publish both views as if they are backing each other up, when in fact we could easily be just listening to an echo chamber.

Knowing how Apple operates, it is indeed likely that they have a test CDMA phone in the lab, but your reporting of it here as fact and the way you've stacked these rumours together to make a story out of nothing is inaccurate, unconscionable, and just plain false.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    From Barron's this morning....

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...d=yahoobarrons

Oppenheimer contends that a CDMA phone ?will probably not be as streamlined as AT&T?s iPhone 4,? and will be on a slower network.

I doubt that Apple will ever sell an iPhone that can't be as thin or whose battery can't last as long as the GSM version.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    The New York Post ran a story yesterday saying a vPhone would be out in January. Take it for what it's worth.

Verizon, please shit or get off the pot. If you wait much longer, ATT will have fixed their network and no one will give a darn anymore.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know you guys live on rumours but this is rumour mongering at it's worst. It's almost certainly a circular rumour-feeding-off-of-rumour situation.

In the first place, Gruber has actually *not* said that there was a CDMA phone already in production, he just said he wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Most other people wouldn't either. Gruber actually doesn't know anything and said as much in his original article.

Secondly, the guy from the loop seems to be basically relying on Gruber for evidence of the CDMA phone. Then you publish both views as if they are backing each other up, when in fact we could easily be just listening to an echo chamber.

Knowing how Apple operates, it is indeed likely that they have a test CDMA phone in the lab, but your reporting of it here as fact and the way you've stacked these rumours together to make a story out of nothing is inaccurate, unconscionable, and just plain false.

Ummm... the title of the this article is - 'RUMOR:....', not FACT.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    I'll believe it when I see it; there have been rumors of this thing since launch and I am no longer willing to get excited over it until I have it in my hand or Steve Jobs is standing on stage with a giant Verizon logo behind him announcing that the iPhone will indeed be coming to Big Red.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Daring Fireball: "The well-sourced Jim Dalrymple has heard the same thing I have..."

I doubt John Gruber would claim that he is the reason that Dalrymple is 'well-sourced'. This sounds like they each have independent sources for this, and based on previous DF claims of pre-launch Apple products I think Gruber only passes along rumors that he himself can trace to multiple sources. It's not a rumor-mongering site by any means.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Folks....

There are Billions and Billions of dollars to be made or lost in this industry. There are many analysts, employees, stock holders (etc) who want to make you believe that the Verizon iPhone is "just around the corner". They have a hidden agenda here.....to delay the exodus of their customers to AT&T (or T-Mobile who will probably be next).

Don't you think it's more than a coincidence that these rumors get propagated right around the same time as the next version of the iPhone is announced and introduced?
  • Reply 16 of 68
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    A CDMA iPhone is absolutely nothing like Intel OS X. Moving to Intel was a major, permanent transition for the platform for the better. A CDMA iPhone is a step sideways at best, a major step back at worst, done to appease Verizon and Sprint while they sit on their asses while the rest of the world moves to HSPA and LTE.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    kyahxkyahx Posts: 1member
    Has no one seen this??

• Reply 18 of 68
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I'll see it when I believe it. However, if there is any kind of negotiations going on, I would bet my money that Verizon is still as arrogant as usual and is placing demands on Apple to cripple the phone in some fashion like it has with other phones in the past. It could also be an issue with Apple wanting total control over the phone and its App store. Something I know Verizon would hate.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Daring Fireball: " This sounds like they each have independent sources for this, and based on previous DF claims of pre-launch Apple products I think Gruber only passes along rumors that he himself can trace to multiple sources. It's not a rumor-mongering site by any means.

I agree.

I don't know why some people have such a difficult time accepting VZ as an iPhone carrier.

Its going to be good for both sides when it happens and it going to happen. Its only a matter of time and each side hashing out the details.

PS are you dlux at ars as well?
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

...a major step back at worst, done to appease Verizon and Sprint while they sit on their asses while the rest of the world moves to HSPA and LTE.

Actually, Verizon is leading the way in the US in terms of LTE deployment.

(And conceivably Sprint can switch to LTE in the future if WiMax doesn't work out - the next versions of each are hedging their bets in that direction in terms of compatibility.)

Nonetheless, CDMA for Apple would be a stopgap, albeit a potentially multi-billion-dollar-revenue stopgap.