Apple says Steve Jobs' email replies on iPhone 4 reception were faked

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A top Apple spokesperson has emphatically denied that Steve Jobs was the author of a series of comments in an email exchange regarding iPhone 4 reception.

The comments, published earlier today by Boy Genius Report, attributed a series of email-based replies to Jobs, including the responses:

"No, you are getting all worked up over a few days of rumors. Calm down."

"You are most likely in an area with very low signal strength."

"You may be working from bad data. Not your fault. Stay tuned. We are working on it."

"Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it."

After the report was picked up and spread by various blogs, BGR corrected it, saying the last line was actually written by the customer, and not Jobs.

Shortly after the edit was made, Philip Elmer-DeWitt of the Fortune Apple 2.0 blog reported that a top Apple public relations spokesperson, speaking on the record, "emphatically denied" that Steve Jobs "was the author of any of these statements."

AppleInsider had previously reported that the source of the email exchange had originally offered the emails as a story, "for sale," without asking for a specific price.

The incident highlights an emerging trend where blog sites quickly publish alleged email conversations with Apple's chief executive under "exclusive" headlines designed to attract attention, with little or no effort made to either verify or or qualify the emails as potentially fake.

Many reports of email-based exchanges describe "verifying email headers," which is a completely unreliable method of determining the legitimacy of a purported exchange. Email headers are trivial to fake, and even a real email exchange could be edited afterward without any indication in the email headers or elsewhere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So the dork who sold the fake e-mails to BGR is now guilty of fraud. Nice. And now everyone knows what a tool he is... and that everyone who violently reacts to fake Internetz stories with no proof is also guilty of toolish behavior.

I think we've all learned a very valuable lesson today...

• Reply 2 of 145
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    Oh boy... I'm sure tomorrow the headlines will be "Authorities seize computers and servers at Gizm... I mean... BGR HQ."
  • Reply 3 of 145
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Well well well, whaddya know? Hands up if you're surprised. Nobody? Really?
  • Reply 4 of 145
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    What a pathetic display of collective bullshit by the tech media. (At least, AI was a bit cautious and tentative).

Not surprising, though.
  • Reply 5 of 145
    glockpopglockpop Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Oh boy... I'm sure tomorrow the headlines will be "Authorities seize computers and servers at Gizm... I mean... BGR HQ."

Big difference: BGR didn't buy equipment stolen from Apple and then attempt to extort further documents from Apple before agreeing to return the property.

BGR has the right to print bullshit. Fox News has set legal precedent for that in US court (!): you can't sue the media for printing things that are inaccurate, even if they are purposely, known lies.
  • Reply 6 of 145
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I wish the spokesperson had said whether or not the "you are holding it wrong" email

was legitimate.

Also, one of the bogus Jobs quotes was something to the effect that "we are working on it".

That is now out the window.
  • Reply 7 of 145
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Makes sense. What would make even more sense would be for the Apple people to say something so crap like this isn't all over the net.
  • Reply 8 of 145
    vercordiovercordio Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Also, one of the bogus Jobs quotes was something to the effect that "we are working on it".

That is now out the window.

I thought the exact same thing. However, with all the bad PR and lawsuits arising because of this, I have to believe that they are, in fact, working on it.

At least, as an owner of an iPhone 4 that can't be held but one way, I truly hope they are...
  • Reply 9 of 145
    Also throws a vat of boiling hot oil on BGR's cred, doesn't it?
  • Reply 10 of 145
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Big surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if Jizzmodo had their grubby little paws in this. They've been on an anti- Apple crusade ever since...

Wow! Notice the "Stay Tuned" comment at the end of Burford's bio in AI's original story in the pic. Coincidence??
  • Reply 11 of 145
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This episode could also have an effect on BGR's future access to Apple events. I hope the

clicks they got today were worth it.
  • Reply 12 of 145
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Amazing how few haters are posting to this thread, and the iPhone 4 screen wins thread. Nothing to see here, Trolls. Move along.
  • Reply 13 of 145
    Apple 1, Haters 0.
  • Reply 14 of 145
    Quote:

So the dork who sold the fake e-mails to BGR is now guilty of fraud. Nice. And now everyone knows what a tool he is... and that everyone who violently reacts to fake Internetz stories with no proof is also guilty of toolish behavior.

I think we've all learned a very valuable lesson today...

Nope!
  • Reply 15 of 145
    Quote:

I'll never trust them again. Seriously.
  • Reply 16 of 145
    shadow415shadow415 Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

BGR has the right to print bullshit. Fox News has set legal precedent for that in US court (!): you can't sue the media for printing things that are inaccurate, even if they are purposely, known lies.

I'm sorry. You seem to have misspelled "CBS".
  • Reply 17 of 145
    Quote:

A top Apple spokesperson has emphatically denied that Steve Jobs was the author of a series of comments in an email exchange regarding iPhone 4 reception.

Was this so called apple spokesperson with jobs when this was supposed to have happened.

Every comment is something jobs would say, and of course the apple spin machine is going to once again make this the publics fault.

I repeat, it is time for jobs to go, he is hurting apple in the worst way.
  • Reply 18 of 145
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Now Steve should start sending ACTUAL emails that are totally off-the-wall scary nuts, just for fun because nobody will believe it

These fake ones were a smart fraud: they weren?t anything too interesting, making them plausible enough to find a buyer more easily.
  • Reply 19 of 145
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

Words fail to describe your idiocy.
  • Reply 20 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

Was this so called apple spokesperson with jobs when this was supposed to have happened.

Every comment is something jobs would say, and of course the apple spin machine is going to once again make this the publics fault.

So you think the Apple spokesperson didn't check with Jobs? Or that Jobs is lying publicly? That's truly delusional.

No spin is needed. Some greedy person thought he could make some money by fabricating pretend emails from Jobs and he got caught at it. End of discussion.

I wouldn't say that it's the public's fault, but it's clearly the fault of the lying scumbag who came up with this idea. The public, in general, doesn't give a hoot one way or the other. There is a significant subset of people who jump in on every rumor and seem to live for the latest gossip about Apple - and this encourages this type of crap, though.