Apple discontinues Radeon 4870 in Australia and New Zealand.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi All,

Mac Pro 1,1 owner here.

Was just looking to buy a Radeon 4870...and noticed that in both store.apple.co.nz and store.apple.com.au, all current high end accessory video cards are discontinued. Something must be about to change...

Can still order a current Mac Pro with a 4870 as an option.

Too bad for all the 1,1 owners...heres hoping that a new 1,1 compatible card is released soon.

Brendon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    That sucks, but do yourself a favor and buy a PC card and flash it. If you want specific links to the tools to do this, let me know. Avoid the Apple tax! Many, many PC cards are faster and cheaper, and loaded with video ram. After flashing it with a Mac ROM, you'll have a "Mac" card with PC specs.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

That sucks, but do yourself a favor and buy a PC card and flash it. If you want specific links to the tools to do this, let me know. Avoid the Apple tax! Many, many PC cards are faster and cheaper, and loaded with video ram. After flashing it with a Mac ROM, you'll have a "Mac" card with PC specs.

Someone reposted this thread, not me.

However, I actually have a flashed 8800GT in the mac pro at the moment, so not worried about that approach at all. What does worry me is that if Apple does not release a newer card compatible with the MP 1,1 machines, there will shortly be no such card available as they are not made any more.

I'm not keen on playing games like has to be done with the 4890, even though I applaud netkas, rominator and cindoris efforts in that regard.

You might ask why this is an issue...well I like to have a quick computer (intellectual interest mostly (:->)), however that mac pro until recently held all of my photos, videos of married life and kids. Kind of irreplaceable. So I need to know that if the machine breaks I can get it going again, and if it is unsupport(ed/able) then its too much risk for me. Kind of like a mission critical app with no financial return - just all the risk!

Having apple "withdraw" support through arbitrary obsolescence irritates me...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Look into Hackintoshes. Craigslist (at least in North America) is a good place to start.