Verizon mocks Apple's iPhone 4 antenna issue with full-page NYT ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 151
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

While all phones exhibit some attenuation, the iPhone 4 is the only hone on the market today with an exposed uninsulated antenna, exacerbating the problem as compared to competing phones such as the 3GS, nexus one, and the evo 4g.

What you conveniently don't mention is that, by having an exposed uninsulated antenna, they also IMPROVE the reception of the antenna. So for those with enough brain cells to move their fingers so they don't touch both antennas at the same time, their signal increases.

In addition, just to make everyone happy (those who like the improved reception and those who hate having to move their fingers), they've made available a cover for the antenna, even though it will degrade the signal somewhat.

Finally, they've offered people their money back if they don't like the phone.

Time to quit the whining and move on.
  • Reply 42 of 151
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foe Hammer View Post

... so why do the mocking in the smaller print? At the end of the paragraph? At the bottom? And not even as the last sentence? Why not lead with the mocking in the big headline?

1. Verizon has to sell what it has.

2. Verizon has to keep up appearances.

3. Verizon doesn't have the iPhone.

4. Verizon still wants the iPhone.

5. Verizon can't let its balls grow much larger than a shot glass.

6. Verizon chose not to lead in innovation when choosing to rely on CDMA.

7. Verizon was stupid and blew their opportunity at the iPhone

8. Verizon can't advertise Android into anything other that a crappy knock-off.

9. Verizon stores will never have to deal with long lines.

10. Verizon knows that even with big balls, their main equipment still lacks.
  • Reply 43 of 151
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's no lie that all phones suffer from some degree of attenuation - obviously, some more so than others. My iPhone 4 works awesome. So, naturally I'm not buying the poor hardware design babble. I don't know what they sold you, but I bought a new iphone that works beautifully.

It works beautifully for where you currently are. If you are in a heavily covered AT&T phone area, chances are you could take a tin snips and cut the antenna clean off your phone and never drop a call.

But, if you travel to an area with poor coverage - you too will experience the 'Grip of Death' phenomina. It's inherent in the design.

On a similar note - if you turn off 3G and 'suffer' with using only Edge; your frequency of dropped calls will mysteriously dimminish. Just something to keep in mind, should you find yourself travelling into a poor coverage area and are unable to call for help and are continuously gettting dropped.

A case is a big step forward, and when you disable 3G - things work better.
  • Reply 44 of 151
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    That ad won't last long...

With their past history of being fast and Lois with the facts, I wonder if this could be construed as willfull.
  • Reply 45 of 151
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Congrats for publishing this article Sam, Dilger must be having a fit
  • Reply 46 of 151
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    The issue is real and needs to be addressed by Apple. Till then, there is no point us wasting each other's time on AI forums lamenting/criticizing other companies' guts to mock Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 151
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    As far as Im concerned Verizon is still kicking themselves for not taking a chance with Apple and the iPhone.

I have been shopping around for a new phone and Looking at the Droid X and iPhone 4.

Droid X is to big to use as a Phone, and the Game's just arent available to make use of the bigger screen.

Who would you trust more with your information Apple or Google?

Think I will be staying with Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 151
    msfmsf Posts: 20member
    I recently switched to a Mac, Purchased an Airport Extreme and had the iPhone, iPhone 3G and currently use the iphone 3GS. I was ready to purchase the iPhone 4 but am holding back.

I am not sure what pisses me off more, the actual antenna issue or Apples handling of it.

If Microsoft did something like this, all the Apple defenders would be all over them. If Android did something like this, All the Apple defenders would be seriously all over them.

That being said, a fan-boy is a fan-boy. I think Apple products are great, their attitude is a disgrace.

I will check out the Droid X next week.

Also, I believe Apple needs Verizon more than Verizon needs Apple. I also believe Verizon will not bend over for Apple like AT&T did.
  • Reply 49 of 151
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Is the droid X shipping? Has it been verified that there is no reduction in signal regardless of how you hold it?

I had the same thought. You can just bet that its antenna's characteristics are going to be gone over with a fine toothed comb, and the results posted on YouTube. People who live in glass houses . . .

Also, Steve has been known to carry a grudge. As others have pointed out, this stick in the eye may or may not mean anything beyond business as usual. But if I were Verizon, I would have checked with Apple first. Say "Droid is forcing us to do this," say anything, but don't assume Mr. Jobs will not remember this.
  • Reply 50 of 151
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Do people forget how much Apple mocked intel chips?

Perhaps but Apple was not looking (or others speculating they were trying) to jump in the sack with them at that time.
  • Reply 51 of 151
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

You can't be serious! First, Jobs said to "not hold the phone that way." Are you kidding me? I should be able to hold my phone any way I'd like...with or without a "bumper." None of my Blackberry or Android devices has EVER had an attenuation problem that Jobs claims every device has. This is complete and utter BS on Apple's part to save face. They've put out a defective product and a massive recall at this point would be disastrous. But it would be the right thing to do.

You can hold it any way you like, but you won't be able to see the screen if it's up your butt. Would you be mad at Jobs if he pointed this out? Recall devices because it doesn't work in every way 'you' want it to. I'm sure you've never considered it, but in reality a lot of the things that you want to do are probably really stupid and nobody is required to help you.
  • Reply 52 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I had the same thought. You can just bet that its antenna's characteristics are going to be gone over with a fine toothed comb, and the results posted on YouTube. People who live in glass houses . . .

Also, Steve has been known to carry a grudge. As others have pointed out, this stick in the eye may or may not mean anything beyond business as usual. But if I were Verizon, I would have checked with Apple first. Say "Droid is forcing us to do this," say anything, but don't assume Mr. Jobs will not remember this.

Come on, do you think Verizon gives a shit. Remember, they turned down the original iphone and are doing just fine.
  • Reply 53 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

But, if you travel to an area with poor coverage - you too will experience the 'Grip of Death' phenomina.

You're assuming he hasn't. I live in a region where there is wide variability in signal strength, from full on to full off with everything in between, and we regularly move through all of them. I can't wait for my iP4 to arrive so I can test your assertion. Hope you're wrong. But I will scream as loud as anyone here if I perceive significant problems that I don't have with my iP3G.
  • Reply 54 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

You can hold it any way you like, but you won't be able to see the screen if it's up your butt. Would you be mad at Jobs if he pointed this out? Recall devices because it doesn't work in every way 'you' want it to. I'm sure you've never considered it, but in reality a lot of the things that you want to do are probably really stupid and nobody is required to help you.

Your kidding right? What a ridiculous response!
  • Reply 55 of 151
    nyc10012nyc10012 Posts: 9member
    Who sees full-page ads in the New York Times anymore?

No one who's in the market for a smartphone, probably...
  • Reply 56 of 151
    iharryiharry Posts: 42member
    Doesn't mean much. Apple has been making phones that dont make phone calls for years
  • Reply 57 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyc10012 View Post

Who sees full-page ads in the New York Times anymore?

No one who's in the market for a smartphone, probably...

Except all the blogs picked it up and I am sure other media outlets.
  • Reply 58 of 151
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

That ad won't last long...

With their past history of being fast and Lois with the facts, I wonder if this could be construed as willfull.

Hey, My mother's name is Lois!

• Reply 59 of 151
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Why would they bash Office

Really? Did you read the post I responded to?

Go back and read the first post I responded to (it was in my post) then read my response.

Quote:

Apple attacked where they could. This is business; exploit your opponents' weaknesses.

But if you want that item, you do not bash them. Apple did not bash MS Office but they did bash Windows. Verizon is bashing the iPhone 4 because either they were turned down for it or they have not again been approached.

Quote:

BTW they have bashed Dell and others for inferior hardware. Not in ads but in other areas.

Apple does not want to sell Dell hardware.
  • Reply 60 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSF View Post

Come on, do you think Verizon gives a shit. Remember, they turned down the original iphone and are doing just fine.

You really think they don't care one way or the other whether or not they become the only other carrier of the most successful handset in history? The road is littered with carriers who are no longer with us. Things change and successful companies plan ahead and don't rest on present success.