Verizon mocks Apple's iPhone 4 antenna issue with full-page NYT ad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 151
    ipaladinipaladin Posts: 20member
    Moto were the ones that ran this ad, not Verizon. It's pretty clear that if Verizon ran the ad it would be in it's typical "Droid Does" red and black fashion. Also, it's pretty clear that it only ran once, in one place. VZW isn't this stupid to torpedo any chance of a relationship with Apple. This story was pure link bait. Nothing to see here, now move along.

Furthermore, yes, let's eschew the biggest and most reliable network in this country because a partner of them ran an ad insulting an Apple product. Some of you really have thin fanboy skin.
  • Reply 103 of 151
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Worse case you slide your hand a millimeter in any direction. It still takes 'supposedly' more than a few conditions to be met to drop the signal a trivial amount.

It's a design trade-off, like the lack of a physical keyboard. Don't like it, don't buy it. But nobody, including Apple, is responsible for satisfying every demand a customer might have.

It's pretty simple dude, welcome to reality.

Thanks for defending Apple's rights! It's always nice to see some support for the underdog!
  • Reply 104 of 151
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPaladin View Post

Moto were the ones that ran this ad, not Verizon. It's pretty clear that if Verizon ran the ad it would be in it's typical "Droid Does" red and black fashion. Also, it's pretty clear that it only ran once, in one place. VZW isn't this stupid to torpedo any chance of a relationship with Apple. This story was pure link bait. Nothing to see here, now move along.

Furthermore, yes, let's eschew the biggest and most reliable network in this country because a partner of them ran an ad insulting an Apple product. Some of you really have thin fanboy skin.

I agree. The NY Times ad definitely looks like it was run by Motorola. Apple knows it's only business. Besides, I've seen the Droid and it looks like cheap plastic compared to the iPhone. No wonder Motorola wanted to show as little as possible.
  • Reply 105 of 151
    sdeetzsdeetz Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They have product to move. Ads are for right now not six months from now. Nobody will even remember this in six months.

I'll tell you who will remember in six months... Steve Jobs.

Making fun of ATT is fair game. Making fun of the iPhone will not be forgotten by Jobs. If you recall, Apple wanted the original iPhone on Verizon, but Gizmodo reported that Steve left the meeting pissed that Verizon's officers actually laughed at him when he proposed their revenue model. Jobs went to ATT and had no intention of ever putting the iPhone on Verizon at that point.

After 3 years, he may have softened, some of those officers may be gone now, and he sees the benefit of multiple carriers. But if Verizon targets Apple right now, Jobs will not let them have the iPhone. He's too egotistical. He'd release it on Sprint and/or Tmobile just to piss Verizon off if they keep up this kind of attacks.

Verizon needs to target ATT and leave the iPhone barbs out if they ever want to see it on their network.
  • Reply 106 of 151
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Mazda 3s that's awesome.
  • Reply 107 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdeetz View Post

I'll tell you who will remember in six months... Steve Jobs.

Making fun of ATT is fair game. Making fun of the iPhone will not be forgotten by Jobs. If you recall, Apple wanted the original iPhone on Verizon, but Gizmodo reported that Steve left the meeting pissed that Verizon's officers actually laughed at him when he proposed their revenue model. Jobs went to ATT and had no intention of ever putting the iPhone on Verizon at that point.

After 3 years, he may have softened, some of those officers may be gone now, and he sees the benefit of multiple carriers. But if Verizon targets Apple right now, Jobs will not let them have the iPhone. He's too egotistical. He'd release it on Sprint and/or Tmobile just to piss Verizon off if they keep up this kind of attacks.

Verizon needs to target ATT and leave the iPhone barbs out if they ever want to see it on their network.

You should read iPaladin's note.
  • Reply 108 of 151
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    From my post on another thread:

You know, I'm not sure this coating thing that some are suggesting as a fix is as simple as one might think. It would be on an exposed edge that is designed to afford some protection to the glass if the phone is dropped. As such the metal band will take the brunt of normal wear. What kind of coating could keep its integrity for long? Once it wears off along the edge of the band it would be compromised. I'm not a materials expert, but it would have to be one hell of a coating. Mylar? Some kind of glass-like material? Polyester? Ceramic? Then there is the matter of yellowing or discoloration over time. The unsightliness of a coating peeling off or being abraded. And of course it would have to be non-conductive. Not as simple as just shooting a coat of clear lacquer on the thing.
  • Reply 109 of 151
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Oops. Blatant plagiarism. This appeared in Scoopertino a week before that one:

http://scoopertino.com/apple-introdu...d-your-iphone/
  • Reply 110 of 151
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

Evidence that they will NOT, in fact, be getting the iPhone any time soon.

Or iPad!
  • Reply 111 of 151
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Thanks for defending Apple's rights! It's always nice to see some support for the underdog!

Do you just accidentally happen to post the same thing again and again, or is it by design?
  • Reply 112 of 151
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

From my post on another thread:

You know, I'm not sure this coating thing that some are suggesting as a fix is as simple as one might think. It would be on an exposed edge that is designed to afford some protection to the glass if the phone is dropped. As such the metal band will take the brunt of normal wear. What kind of coating could keep its integrity for long? Once it wears off along the edge of the band it would be compromised. I'm not a materials expert, but it would have to be one hell of a coating. Mylar? Some kind of glass-like material? Polyester? Ceramic? Then there is the matter of yellowing or discoloration over time. The unsightliness of a coating peeling off or being upbraided. And of course it would have to be non-conductive. Not as simple as just shooting a coat of clear lacquer on the thing.

Quickly pointing out that I have absolutely zero expertise in coatings, I totally agree that a suitably robust and aesthetic coating would be no trivial achievement. Somehow I doubt a coating will be the answer Apple comes up with.

In fact, I'm struggling to foresee any fix that Apple can provide to overcome the skin on metal attenuation thing*. So my best guess is that they won't try anything other than what they can do in software/firmware. They'll just continue to offer your money back on return.

I imagine there's some serious antenna re-design happening at Cupertino right this second though.

EDIT: Gizmodo reports that AppleCare are confirming that the SW fix won't correct the hand on antenna attenuation issue. The thread is here if you can stomach giving the dreaded Giz some hits...

*(Other than the "get a bumper or a case" workaround, for those anal retentives who are about to gore me for ignoring the obvious...)
  • Reply 113 of 151
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

Evidence that they will NOT, in fact, be getting the iPhone any time soon.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Reply 114 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdeetz View Post

. He's too egotistical. He'd release it on Sprint and/or Tmobile just to piss Verizon off if they keep up this kind of attacks.

See, CEOs don't think like you, holding grudges and angered irrationality. That is not acceptable. Apple is a publicly traded company. If Jobs can justify from a business perspective why not offering the iPhone to Verizon is a calculated strategy then the board of directors is likely to go along with the plan. But if he says I hate those guys and I'll see them in hell before they get the iPhone, the board is obligated to remove him for the sake of the shareholders.
  • Reply 115 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Worse case you slide your hand a millimeter in any direction. It still takes 'supposedly' more than a few conditions to be met to drop the signal a trivial amount.

It's a design trade-off, like the lack of a physical keyboard. Don't like it, don't buy it. But nobody, including Apple, is responsible for satisfying every demand a customer might have.

It's pretty simple dude, welcome to reality.

At least you're making sense now. So your saying that its an outrageous demand to want a phone that can make phone calls no matter how it's held? I could understand the 2G having this problem but not with the 4th incarnation. And how the hell are you just figuring out NOW that the phone was displaying the signal incorrectly? I'd expect stuff like this from LG, Samsung, or HTC since they crank out several models a year but not from Apple.
  • Reply 116 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

See, CEOs don't think like you, holding grudges and angered irrationality. That is not acceptable. Apple is a publicly traded company. If Jobs can justify from a business perspective why not offering the iPhone to Verizon is a calculated strategy then the board of directors is likely to go along with the plan. But if he says I hate those guys and I'll see them in hell before they get the iPhone, the board is obligated to remove him for the sake of the shareholders.

They did do it once before but I doubt they ever will again.
  • Reply 117 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do you just accidentally happen to post the same thing again and again, or is it by design?

:-) I did not know you are reading me so throughly, but does it matter either way? Feel free to skip reading if you don't like it. (Same way people suggest not buying this or that if we don't like it).
  • Reply 118 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They did do it once before but I doubt they ever will again.

It will be different this time. Steve will quietly go, never to be heard from again.
  • Reply 119 of 151
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

It will be different this time. Steve will quietly go, never to be heard from again.

Yeah, right.
  • Reply 120 of 151
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Verizon's backing the wrong horse again.