Got Mine.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Got the iPhone 4 today. It is fantastic.

--Fantastic screen

--MUCH faster UI and load times as compared to my 3G

--Better speaker and call quality.

--Vastly improved camera(s)

Now, the million dollar question: Death Grip?

When trying to reproduce the Death Grip/Bridging problem, I did get it to drop a few bars. But, they came back up as I continued to hold the phone. I can't get it to happen consistently. The proximity sensor appears to work fine, as does everything else.

Overall, I'm thrilled!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Got the iPhone 4 today. It is fantastic.

--Fantastic screen

--MUCH faster UI and load times as compared to my 3G

--Better speaker and call quality.

--Vastly improved camera(s)

Now, the million dollar question: Death Grip?

When trying to reproduce the Death Grip/Bridging problem, I did get it to drop a few bars. But, they came back up as I continued to hold the phone. I can't get it to happen consistently. The proximity sensor appears to work fine, as does everything else.

Overall, I'm thrilled!

Yeah. I waited a bit as I usually do for first gen stuff (The iPhone 3GS was an opening day exception for me) but yours is the general opinion that I have recieved from friends who already got one. No one I have talked to in person would ever give theirs up or go back to the 3GS although some could get a real Death Grip response while others could not reproduce it. I talked to several Best Buy store employees and a Radio Shack about the problems. They said not a single return had come back to their stores...

I ordered mine last weekend and the delay is till July 30. bummer!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah. I waited a bit as I usually do for first gen stuff (The iPhone 3GS was an opening day exception for me) but yours is the general opinion that I have recieved from friends who already got one. No one I have talked to in person would ever give theirs up or go back to the 3GS although some could get a real Death Grip response while others could not reproduce it. I talked to several Best Buy store employees and a Radio Shack about the problems. They said not a single return had come back to their stores...

I ordered mine last weekend and the delay is till July 30. bummer!

Update: There does appear to be a proximity sensor issue after all. I've accidentally triggered UI changes with my face. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's noticeable. I assume a software update will fix this.

The thing I really notice with it is the speed. Pages and apps load so much faster than on my 3G, it's not even funny. The ability to create folders has reduced 7 pages of disorganized apps into 2, all organized by category.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    As someone who just bought himself a side-grade and had his wife snork the older phone and then place the whole family on tmobile, I'm really hoping for a 4.1 that addresses speed issues on the 3G and also that Apple goes with Tmobile for a second provider.

I mentioned that the wife snorked my previous iPhone. What became of yours?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

As someone who just bought himself a side-grade and had his wife snork the older phone and then place the whole family on tmobile, I'm really hoping for a 4.1 that addresses speed issues on the 3G and also that Apple goes with Tmobile for a second provider.

I mentioned that the wife snorked my previous iPhone. What became of yours?

Right now it's sitting here. Not sure what I plan. It's just a 3G, so it's not worth selling.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Got mine too. Put it in a case and I have had no problems with reception (replicated prior to case) and proximity sensor. Battery life, sound and speed are fantastic, not to mention the screen.

I do see how this phone would not be viable without a case. Apple should provide this free as their product is not viable as is.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I heard 3gs were selling hot right now.

Ordered my first iPhone @ the ATT store last Friday...and as of today, it no longer says 'backordered'....
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Got mine too. Put it in a case and I have had no problems with reception (replicated prior to case) and proximity sensor. Battery life, sound and speed are fantastic, not to mention the screen.

I do see how this phone would not be viable without a case. Apple should provide this free as their product is not viable as is.

That's ridiculous. It's perfectly "viable." It actually might be the first iPhone that is fine without a case.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Today, it says "shipped"...tracking number & everything.

Arrives tomorrow.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Right now it's sitting here. Not sure what I plan. It's just a 3G, so it's not worth selling.

In my neck of the woods that phone unlocked and jailbroken is fetching around $200. That isn't too bad an amount.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

I heard 3gs were selling hot right now.

Ordered my first iPhone @ the ATT store last Friday...and as of today, it no longer says 'backordered'....

I've seen the 3GS selling for $300 but they would probably be worth more if people could more easily hack them. AT&T's customer base for iPhones has got to be at maximum saturation for now.

Quote:

That's ridiculous. It's perfectly "viable." It actually might be the first iPhone that is fine without a case.

I'll disagree but considering most people I know bought and used cases for their prior iPhones, I don't really see what the issue would be with the iPhone 4 needing a case. If I had bought one I'd practically wrap it in styrofoam. It's a $700 minicomputer and hidef camcorder that people want to slide across desktops and toss in with keys and coins. If you handed them a small netbook laptop or a camcorder they wouldn't slide them anywhere or toss anything else in a carrying case with them.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:

No it's not. Holding the phone normally to make calls and surf the web in the portrait mode with the phone in front of me completely wiped out my signal. I was not giving it the "death grip" just holding the phone the same way I held my 3G for two years. If you touch that area, even lightly your signal is toast.