AT&T's slow iPhone 4 upload speeds due to software defect

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T on Wednesday made an official statement on an issue causing slow upload speeds for some iPhone 4 users, blaming the problem on a software defect that will soon be fixed.

"AT&T and Alcatel-Lucent jointly identified a software defect -- triggered under certain conditions - that impacted uplink performance for Laptop Connect and smartphone customers using 3G HSUPA-capable wireless devices in markets with Alcatel-Lucent equipment," the company said in a statement.

"This impacts less than two percent of our wireless customer base. While Alcatel-Lucent develops the appropriate software fix, we are providing normal 3G uplink speeds and consistent performance for affected customers with HSUPA-capable devices."

On Tuesday, AppleInsider exclusively reported that, contrary to various Internet speculation, AT&T was not intentionally throttling upload speeds for iPhone 4 users. Some in major U.S. markets such as Los Angeles and New York reported upload speeds of around 100Kbps, well below the capabilities of the HSPA-equipped iPhone 4.

Instead, it was revealed Tuesday that the issues were a result of an unintentional software glitch related to High-Speed Uplink Packet Access in some sections of the country. When working properly, HSUPA can allow uplink speeds of 5.76Mbit/s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Translation: "We tried to get away with throttling your speeds, but you caught us."
  • Reply 2 of 24
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    This is interesting. I can at least confirm that AT&T does use Alcatel hardware in the northeast (NY) from working at a previous company providing EF&I for the telcos. My uploads/downloads for about the past two weeks have been terribly slow (such as this page, even). I had just assumed it was added congestion from iPhone4 users or AT&T trying to beef up it's network.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    AT&T is quickly running out of fingers with which to point.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "AT&T and Alcatel-Lucent jointly identified a software defect -- triggered under certain conditions - that impacted uplink performance for Laptop Connect and smartphone customers using 3G HSUPA-capable wireless devices in markets with Alcatel-Lucent equipment," the company said in a statement. ....

At the very least, if it's AT&T's software that has the glitch, it's a glitch that basically says, "throttle these type of connections back." So AT&T is throttling the bandwidth for those particular customers.

It also says "We didn't really even test what would happen with the new iPhone 4 in giant markets like San Francisco or New York, so we were caught by surprise."
  • Reply 5 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    350+ people posting about this on Mac Rumors across 30+ markets and it only affected 2% of their customer base? Yet another issue blown out of proportion.

PS: I really wonder who these people are in real life that don’t think companies ever make a mistake, that it’s meticulously planned malevolence on par with comic book evil geniuses.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    This is not a matter of having tested the iPhone - and if there is a small subset of hardware that on the provider end of the link that is not handling 3G for ALL 3G devices the way that it is supposed to then that device needs to be fixed or replaced. I don't see this as finger pointing - but root cause analysis and identifying the problem plainly and openly. Also it would seem that iDevice users are the most demanding and or likely to notice and complain when the service is not what it is supposed to be. I will reserve my Kudos to AT&T for fixing this one until it is actually fixed.

If you would prefer that AT&T and their partners continue to claim there is no problem so that you can continue to spout off about how they are denying any problems then don't spout off about how they are admitting the problem - can't have it both ways.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

At the very least, if it's AT&T's software that has the glitch, it's a glitch that basically says, "throttle these type of connections back." So AT&T is throttling the bandwidth for those particular customers.

It also says "We didn't really even test what would happen with the new iPhone 4 in giant markets like San Francisco or New York, so we were caught by surprise."

I've posted this on other forums, so I apologize if you have read this before.

As a network engineer, I encounter hundreds of software related issues on routers, switches, and other components. As much as you test this before you deploy it, many times you can never encounter an issue until it is exposed to the stress of a production network.

Good to see they are working with their vendor.

And, yes, complicated hardware/software does break time to time.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    it makes sense to me... why in gods name would AT&T throttle the connection speeds on purpose. the faster the network goes, the faster the customer uses up their $25 data plan...
  • Reply 9 of 24
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    You're uploading it wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

it makes sense to me... Why in gods name would at&t throttle the connection speeds on purpose. The faster the network goes, the faster the customer uses up their $25 data plan...

+1...
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

350+ people posting about this on Mac Rumors across 30+ markets and it only affected 2% of their customer base? Yet another issue blown out of proportion.

It could actually be accurate, given how small the percentage of HSUPA-capable devices on their network are (what, a few 3G cards, an Android device or two, and the newly released iPhone 4?) and that only portions of their network with the relevant hardware are going to cause fuss. 2% of AT&T's customer base is a large amount of people.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

What about Apple? Did they ever test an iPhone 4 without a case (with direct physical contact)?

No excuses there.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I've posted this on other forums, so I apologize if you have read this before.

As a network engineer, I encounter hundreds of software related issues on routers, switches, and other components. As much as you test this before you deploy it, many times you can never encounter an issue until it is exposed to the stress of a production network.

Good to see they are working with their vendor.

And, yes, complicated hardware/software does break time to time.

I understand and appreciate what you are saying, but it still seems a little odd.

We are talking about a new feature on one of their flagship phones, in fact the only new feature that is actually in AT&T's court to check. The throttling is occurring in their biggest markets also, like NY, Boston, etc.

How does AT&T release a new version of the number one phone, in their number one market, and fail to test the only new feature it has which relies exclusively on AT&T to implement correctly?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

They'll just start using their other hand! ;-)
  • Reply 15 of 24
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

Doubtful this was on purpose, since only HSUPA was affected. They were probably unaware of the issue until a large number of iPhone users using that protocol noticed it. I might also remind you, that the iPhone is not an 'AT&T Phone', it is an Apple phone which utilizes the AT&T network. It didn't have widespread use on AT&T's network until it was released.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The throttling is occurring in their biggest markets also, like NY, Boston, etc.

noexpectations is absolutely correct.

1) Yes, the issue happened in large markets, but not all large markets and there is evidence that it happened is smaller markets, too.

2) Throttling is not the appropriate terminology. You’re implying they are deliberately controlling the speed of the network with this software update. It’s like having your car breaking down and then claiming the driver is throttling the maximum speed. Just check out the latency and you can be assured this is not malicious on AT&T’s part toward their customer or correct.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I saw Houston on the list of cities that complained, but I didn't encounter any issues yesterday or today. Same upload speeds since the day I got the i4. 1.2Mbps or above.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

PS: I really wonder who these people are in real life that don?t think companies ever make a mistake, that?s it?s meticulously planned malevolence on par with comic book evil geniuses.

Dang, my secret identity has been exposed!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

PS: I really wonder who these people are in real life that don?t think companies ever make a mistake, that it?s meticulously planned malevolence on par with comic book evil geniuses.

Just went through first 50 postings, only 10 actually reported the problem.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Translation: "We tried to get away with throttling your speeds, but you caught us."

Quote:

what can be best served by stupidity or incompetence.