Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China, curtains off Shanghai store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The chairman of PC maker Lenovo said this week that Apple doesn't care about China because Steve Jobs has a "bad temper," while Apple has taken the wraps off of the grand entrance to its forthcoming Shanghai retail store.

Lenovo is 'lucky' Apple doesn't compete in China

Lenovo Chairman Liu Chuanzhi believes that Apple is missing a huge opportunity in the Chinese market, according to the Financial Times. He said his company is "lucky" that Apple doesn't compete, as it would likely be to Lenovo's detriment.

"We are lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesn't care about China," Chuanzhi reportedly said. "If Apple were to spend the same effort on the chinese consumer as we do, we would be in trouble."

Lenovo recently launched its LePhone designed specifically for Chinese consumers. The chairman said he believes his handset had an advantage because of that localization. He also praised Jobs, calling him a "genius."

The Times noted that Apple's products are desirable in China, but there is limited availability due to a small number of retail options.

Shanghai store to open this Saturday

This Saturday, Apple will hold a grand opening for its new flagship store in Shanghai, China. For weeks now, the megastore has been hidden behind red curtains pictured on its massive glass storefront. But this week, they were removed to reveal its exterior.

AppleInsider reader Matthew Lesh sent in photos he took of the cover being removed from the store's entrance in preparation for the grand opening. The cylindrical glass structure serves as the entrance to the store, which is located underneath and accessed via staircase.

White iPhone 4 unboxed

Finally, Chris Chang of MIC Gadget sent along photos of Apple's forthcoming white iPhone 4, in and out of its box. The box looks identical to the packaging for the black iPhone 4, except the pictured hardware on the front includes the white glass front and back.

In June, just before the iPhone 4 launched, Apple announced that the white model will not arrive until late July. The company said the device proved "more challenging to manufacture than expected," forcing the delay.

The pictures of the handset show holes above the earpiece that are not found on the already released black model. These are likely to allow the handset's proximity sensor to work through the colored glass.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Here comes yet another sales surge...

(If they have sufficient quanity to sell!)
  • Reply 2 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So does this mean that Lenovo is in trouble?

I respect Chuanzhi for his candidness, but it sounds much like a dare and one that is already on its way of happening with this known store and increase Apple product sales in China.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Here comes yet another sales surge...

(If they have sufficient quanity to sell!)

At least shipping with be faster and more cost efficient.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At least shipping with be faster and more cost efficient.

?????
  • Reply 4 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Imagine that. Just a few short years ago none of these big companies even knew that Apple existed. And even of they did know about Apple they laughed and snickered. Remember Michael Dell and his famous putdown? These days Apple is looming large on their radar screens, a giant blip heading straight for their balance sheets. It gives me great pleasure to see a bozo like this getting nervous and sweaty.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    nanotechnanotech Posts: 38member
    How does the chinese iPhone compared to the "real" one, is it still somewhat crippled?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

?????

Foxconn, Shenzhen, China to Apple Store, Shanghai, China
  • Reply 7 of 43
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Lenovo sucks! The IBM thinkpad was an awesomely built system. But when Lenovo bought it they totally screwed it up.

Anyway!!!!!!

Now watch for Apple's stock to sore to close to $400.00 especially with iad on the iphone and soon the ipad.

Sorry Google! Your a** is grass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 43
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member

HTML Code:
    Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China, curtains off Shanghai store
    So on first glance it appears that because Apple is missing out in China, Lenovo curtained off (screened off) the Lenovo Shanghai store. I guess a semicolon rather than a comma would have helped!
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Something just doesn't sound right... Did something get lost in the translation. The way he said Jobs doesn't care about China becuase he has a bad temper sounds like a 4th grader poking fun at someone. Jobs isn't the only one running the company. Then in the next breath he praises Jobs? How about Apple is slowly entering that market because like most foreign countries the process of building takes time. Then the article talks about a store opening in Shangai.. well isn't that competing in China??? Clearly he and Apple care because they are opening a store?? If you move to quick you could seriously miss something and completley destroy what your trying to do. Last time I checked China is still a communist country that doesn't like to give a whole lot of power to the population. The iPhone would have to be seriously tuned down and what Apple wants to accomplish might be missed. If they can't sell a product to the best that they can deliver then why bother trying in the first place.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    Bad temper=Genius???

what is Lenovo? - never heard of it
  • Reply 11 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "Lenovo is 'lucky' Apple doesn't compete in China"

Kind of the way Creative was 'lucky' that Apple didn't sell MP3 players. Back in 2001.

We'll see how lucky Lenovo is in about 5 years.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Definitely something lost in translation.

I suspect "bad temper" = unwillingness to customize Apple devices and services to accommodate China's censorship of information.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    I don't think Liu Chuanzhi really understands Apple and how they think about products and markets. That's OK though. Hardly any of Apple's competitors do.

Soon enough he'll come to see that Apple's drinking Lenovo's milkshake, but just easiest to get and most profitable part of it.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Anyone wanna bet the China store opening is why the iPhone 4 still has a 3 week lead time?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Anyone wanna bet the China store opening is why the iPhone 4 still has a 3 week lead time?

No...
  • Reply 16 of 43
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Oh, I thought you were referring to the white iP4s.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

How does the chinese iPhone compared to the "real" one, is it still somewhat crippled?

I believe so. But the legal shackles have been removed, so I would expect the next iPhone released in the PRC will be a "normal" one.

I don't think there is as huge a market for Apple products in China as everyone seems to think. Not for a while anyway. Apple products are just too high end for all but the most affluent Chinese. I see them hitting a few big cities hard (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, etc.) There are plenty of affluent people in those locations to support Apple infrastructure, but probably not enough elsewhere.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    That new store looks like a keyhole with the Apple store as the key.

Symbolism, perhaps?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

So on first glance it appears that because Apple is missing out in China, Lenovo curtained off (screened off) the Lenovo Shanghai store. I guess a semicolon rather than a comma would have helped!

Exactly my reaction to seeing the headline...Lenovo curtained off a store? Huh?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    From the actual FT article:

“My theory is that a manager needs to be the string on which he puts one pearl after another. But Jobs himself is a big pearl.”

--- did he just call Steve Jobs a pearl necklace!?!! (sorry, but I had to do it)

I've been to China a few times pre-iPhone launch there and when I showed folks my iPod touch and later iPhone many wanted it and said Apple is highly thought of there, because they symboloze American success and innovation. I did see a couple iPhones there, but guessing folks got 'em from HK, and was offered a fake iPhone on the street, but I just kept walking.

I feel Apple has the interest there, but need to make it easier to get products and although the Chinese middle-class is growing fast a lot of people still can't afford them, so they go with the cheaper homegrown items they are familiar with and trust. Of course many can and do buy Apple, I'm just talking about the avg buyer or lower income buyer. That's my 2cents.