BusinessInsider: Android is the new Windows.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    In some ways I'd say yes but even if Android devices significantly outsell iOS devices, they are running a unix system with a webkit browser and OpenGL games so they are far more compatible with Apple's offering than Windows was and have similar ideas about changing products for the better rather than for volume.

Google love Apple, just like Adobe. In their ads, they show Apple products alongside their Nexus One (including the iPhone) and they have eradicated Windows from their working environment.

It may eventually become the same story of Apple having the 10% and Android 90% but Apple already have an install base of 100 million.

Their current smartphone share (pre-iPhone 4) is 15%, with RIM 19%, Android 10%, WinMo 7% and Symbian 44%. Symbian devices (Nokia, Sony Ericsson etc) don't really get the headlines in the smartphone category so it may be possible to dismiss that for now but it's still a threat now that it went entirely open source this year and has touch capabilities.

But, given that there are multiple big players, it doesn't seem to me like there will be a monopoly anytime soon the likes of what we see on the desktop. I think RIM, iOS and Android will erode the Symbian share and come out fairly even.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    If this does turn out to be the case, Apple will look back and rue the day they gave ATT exclusive iphone rights for 4-? years.

If the iPhone would have been available on more US carriers beginning last year, i think that would have blunted Androids rising popularity.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Recently saw this apt illustration of the current iWar. And that looks at least 80% right to me!

• Reply 4 of 4
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Recently saw this apt illustration of the current iWar. And that looks at least 80% right to me!

Apple and Google are one up in "phone", Win Phone 7 & Kin...