Fortune names Apple's Steve Jobs, Jony Ive smartest in tech

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Fortune magazine has compiled a list of what it believes are the smartest people in the technology industry, and topping the list of CEOs is Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, while designer Jony Ive was named smartest designer.

The magazine credited Jobs with bringing Apple from the brink of bankruptcy when he returned in 1997 to great heights. This year, Apple's market cap surpassed Microsoft's, making it the most valuable technology company in the world.

Fortune credited Jobs with reinventing music through iTunes, elevating animated films through Pixar, changing smartphones with the iPhone, and redefining the portable computing space with the iPad.

"Rocking one industry could be luck, but upending four? That's smart," the magazine wrote.

"He is a visionary, a micromanager, and a showman who creates such anticipation around new products that their releases are veritable holidays," author Jessi Hempel wrote. "And Jobs is a pop culture icon like no other business executive: An episode of The Simpsons a few years ago featured a Jobs-like character named Steve Mobs."

"His dictator-like control can cause havoc for partners: Jobs, 55, has decided, for example, that Apple products won't support Adobe Flash, the code most video-heavy websites depend on, leading designers to switch to new tools. But Jobs' vision is also what gives these devices their elegance, causing consumers' hearts to flutter."

And the magazine also named Apple's 43-year-old Ive the smartest designer in tech, crediting him with setting the course for design throughout the tech industry. Ive is Apple's senior vice president of industrial design, and crated the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

"With the launch of his first product, the iMac G3, Ive turned the utilitarian gray desktop computer into a translucent, gumdrop-shaped fashion statement," Hempel wrote.

Jobs finished ahead of Amazon Chief Executive Jeff Bezos, while Ive beat out Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of such beloved game franchises as Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong.

Last November, Fortune also gave Jobs the title "CEO of the Decade." The magazine lauded him for making Apple a groundbreaking technology leader and the most valuable company in Silicon Valley.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    3goldens3goldens Posts: 34member
    Smartest guy?

This the same guy that just released a phone that people can't make calls from?

And the other schmuck, is the actual designer of the phone that can't make and reciee calls unless of course you hold it in a certain way.

No way, tell me this can not be true.

Forbes is a loser magazine anyway, sales way down probably near folding!
  • Reply 2 of 44
    johnnyb0731johnnyb0731 Posts: 326member
    And it took one post for an antennea reference
  • Reply 3 of 44
    jcubbsjcubbs Posts: 2member
    The title to this article says Forbes, but then the entire article talks about Fortune. Just wondering which one it is? Fortune or Forbes?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    This must have been awarded before the iPhone 4 came out.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    nomadmacnomadmac Posts: 96member
    They also failed to mention that Steve Jobs helped create the personal computer industry and then revolutionized the industry with the Macintosh.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, the smartest unless it comes to antenna design.

Well, if you do not touch that one particular area, the phones is unquestionably better as far as reception, fewer dropped calls and better upload and download speeds in comparison to the previous phones.

So close.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Smartest guy?

And the other schmuck, is the actual designer of the phone that can't make and reciee calls unless of course you hold it in a certain way.

3goldens ... What an absolute Richard-cranium you are! Go get a phone designed by Steve Ballmer. You deserve it.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    @Post #1

Being smart does not mean just good in one thing but severals. And it is natural to be bad on a few others as well. The award obviously gave consideration to all things and meritted them accordingly. If you are so annoyed with the antennae issue, save your mind and leave buying (or using, if you already - unfortunately, succumbed to the vibe) the iPhone or any Apple products. Obviously, judging from your post you are not that 'smart'.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    salada2ksalada2k Posts: 1member
    Oh for crying out loud already, its like the iphone 4 is the first and last thing Apple have ever designed. I'm so sick of hearing about it (the antenna). I get mine in a week with any luck and can't wait. Hasn't stopped me from buying it, or 9.5 million others. GEE. Stinks of 'failure' to me??? LOL. Go Steve Jobs. As genius as ever. And Im going to get an element case for my iphone 4 anyway just cos theyre sexy not because I give a toss about some death grip, which ironically enough, has been done to death.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    eliangonzaleliangonzal Posts: 490member
    "And it took one post for an antennea reference."

It's called bib-dribbing and spoon-clanging. Don't knock it: it take a special talent to do both at the same time.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Smartest guy?

Pardon me, but your jealousy is showing. (And you have a spelling problem, no less) reciee? wtf is that?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

... Richard-cranium.....

Good one! Got to remember that one.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

And the magazine also named Apple's 43-year-old Ive the smartest designer in tech, crediting him with setting the course for design throughout the tech industry. Ive is Apple's senior vice president of industrial design, and crated the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

And damn fine.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salada2k View Post

...which ironically enough, has been done to death.

Welcome to the forum. Beware of the Stobor.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:

Smartest guy?

Often the simplest explanation it the correct one. That would be that you are wrong, and everyone else is right.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Apple sells millions of iPhone 4's and Johnny Ive is a brilliant designer.

I see the world has indeed "moved on" from the antenna issue. Just curious, how did we end up dismissing it? It didn't really happen or it just doesn't matter?

Anybody catch the article over at 9 to 5 Mac about an iP4 catching on fire?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Smartest guy?

And you are, what? 14?
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

Smartest guy?

Well, it seams that every second of every day, 3 new iphone 4s end up in the hands of people that disagree with you. 3 million so far and counting.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

Smartest guy?

someone doesn't like apple.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Apple sells millions of iPhone 4's and Johnny Ive is a brilliant designer.

I see the world has indeed "moved on" from the antenna issue. Just curious, how did we end up dismissing it? It didn't really happen or it just doesn't matter?

Anybody catch the article over at 9 to 5 Mac about an iP4 catching on fire?

Perhaps people are using the phone more and realizing it's not nearly as big of a deal as it was made out to be