Mac OS X 10.7

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, I'm new here but I have been an Apple fan for a LONG TIME. My sister and I got the original iMac for xmas back in the late 90s =) and i have an eMac now. My parents both have an iMac and we all have an iPhone except my dad lol. Anyway, I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm very curious about Mac OS X 10.7... When do you guys think it'll be released? I would love to get a MacBook Pro next summer before I head off to college and it would be sweet to have the new operating system on the MacBook Pro. What are your ideas and expectation of 10.7?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jag9 View Post

Hi, I'm new here but I have been an Apple fan for a LONG TIME. My sister and I got the original iMac for xmas back in the late 90s =) and i have an eMac now. My parents both have an iMac and we all have an iPhone except my dad lol. Anyway, I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm very curious about Mac OS X 10.7... When do you guys think it'll be released? I would love to get a MacBook Pro next summer before I head off to college and it would be sweet to have the new operating system on the MacBook Pro. What are your ideas and expectation of 10.7?

Lots of software requires changes between OS releases. Anything with a kernel driver. So Mac OS releases tend to be released to developers several months before general release.

The release to developers is usually an WWDC in June. It didn't happen this year, so maybe next year. So a general release, think September '11.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I can't believe we have heard absolutely nothing about 10.7 since it was released almost a year ago. I wonder when they'll release the first Developer Preview...

I hope they copy a lot of features from Windows. Like being able to un-install OS updates, password-protect folders, etc. I hope we get Read/Write NTFS support natively. Resolution Independence is extremely important. Haha as I get older I'm already wanting it more and more with my decreasing vision! And laptops keep getting higher resolution displays. Further advances in Speech recognition would be cool. Apple kind of pioneered this in the early 90s and it seems to have stagnated for the last two decades. i predict more gesture and multitouch. Touchscreen Apple laptops with a screen that could flip over and make a tablet interface would be killer. I don't know whether that would be really expensive though.

And Snappier. FTFF. And of course they will debut some slightly different Aqua interface I assume.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Whats the point of releasing 10.7? What we really need are some good hardware upgrades to keep things more or less on par with the rest of the computer industry. (video cards first, newer CPUs won't hurt).

What is it that is missing from 10.6 that needs a 10.7 as a significant upgrade? Fuse allows support of all kinds of file systems. If you want full fledged NTFS 3G, you can look at products like http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/. I am sure there is an open source alternative to that as well.

We really need more developers on board the OS X platform. On a note, 10.7 could have more enterprise friendly management and security features.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jag9 View Post

I don't think Snow Leopard is working as it should yet but you are already pining for a new version that will most probably make all sorts of (expensive) new demands on all our software again...?

Better stick with what works.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I was not impressed with Snow Leopard. Of course, I couldn't just uninstall it, I had to reinstall Leopard. Doing a clean install of 10.5.0, installing iLife '08, and updating everything took just about as much time as the upgrade to Snow Leopard alone. Apple says its quicker. I don't think so. I have no use for Snow Leopard. For a company that prides itself on many things, their OS is the most bland of all. My iMac came with Tiger restore DVDs, but they are actually for the mini. So I can't use them to install, but did get to see what the OS would look like. Tiger has a much better look. If 10.7 is not going to improve the look, I won't want it either. Having low vision, I am reasonably sure Resolution Independence isn't going to solve the eyesight issues. We shall see. Pun intended.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I hope they copy a lot of features from Windows. Like being able to un-install OS updates, password-protect folders, etc. I hope we get Read/Write NTFS support natively.

I reckon filesystem-level encryption will be experimented with - that was one feature of ZFS. It encrypted meta-data along with file contents. It would be the best solution to the FileVault flaws and be more secure than simple password protection.

Something as simple as right-clicking a directory and choosing encrypt would protect that directory. To access it, you simply verify a session and the contents of the folder remain unlocked. The system would only decrypt each file's contents when you need it.

They'd need to modify the Spotlight index to contain encrypted entries too as well as deal with issues of moving an encrypted item out of an encrypted folder - maybe just warn the user or leave the file encrypted and allow the user to right-click, decrypt.

It's complicated but would be very useful and more efficient/stable than FileVault.

Native read/write NTFS would be good. I'm not sure why they don't just bundle MacFuse with BootCamp. VMWare installs it now with the latest version so that it can mount NTFS images.

Some features from iOS should make it into 10.7. I'd like to see a better UI like the iTunes UI - no more aqua. Even more minimal like the iPhone UI where scroll bars only appear when you scroll and they don't adjust the content position when enabled.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Hello,

Pure spéculation here of course but let me know if this make sense. Given the quality of the iPhone 4 display which renders a 960×640 definition, I was thinking that Apple could as well bundled the iOS in future verisons of Mac OS and offer it as a sort of Instant OS. Does this make sense ? I mean at some point it makes sens for Apple to place iOS (which is Mac OS X-based) inside their computers right?

Another idea that crossed my mind was the download of iOS apps and their integration in Dashboard or as stand alone mini apps.

now in both case one may wonder what do to about the multi touch part of this OS on a Macbook. What do you think Apple has in mind ?

i'm ssurprise we still haven't heard anything official about 10.7 or whatever will be called the next OS...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post

Hello,

Pure spéculation here of course but let me know if this make sense. ....

It does not.

This is a repetition of the fixation that some fans have with the "convergence" of MacOS X and iOS. The reasoning goes that iOS will become more powerful and will replace MacOS X. There are several flaws with this logic. The most difficult concept that most fans of this notion have is that MacOS X and iOS are the same under the hood. Their UIs differ because each is optimized for the hardware that it runs on. If Apple intended to "converge" the two OSes, then it never would have "diverged" them in the first place.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

If Apple intended to "converge" the two OSes, then it never would have "diverged" them in the first place.

They've done this in a lot of products during transitions.

iMovie 06 branched into 08 but both were needed as 06 didn't have HD format support and 08 lacked editing features. iMovie 09 tries to merge both.

Quicktime X is a branch from Quicktime 7 with certain improvements but lacking others so you need both and some future incarnation of Quicktime X will likely merge the two again.

Shake was a non-linear compositing package and components branched off into Motion and eventually Shake was discontinued.

The OS9 to OS X transition was the same keeping classic mode until people switched over and features were added between them.

If they make a gesture pad for OS X, iOS apps would work just fine, although the accelerometer part would be tricky as well as mapping to the screen.

They could make a touchscreen iMac though and offer iOS apps as widgets or use the iOS UI layer in a similar way to how HP uses their TouchSmart UI.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They've done this in a lot of products during transitions.

What transition?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

What transition?

The transition to adding touch support to their desktop OS. An Apple engineer had said that adding touch support to OS X was not a trivial task but they clearly have thought about it. The strategy is the same as the rest of their transitions - branch out into a new line, test how it works and then merge it back when they have a good understanding of how to do it.

The dual mode operation is something to think about because one day soon, mobile phones will be powerful enough to use as a desktop. The virtual desktop guys can already demonstrate what this looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7z6svWLbmM

They call it the Nirvana phone. You just have a monitor in your office, plug in your phone and it switches to desktop mode. With Intel's wireless display tech, you can even leave it in your pocket or just sit it on the desk. For a huge amount of people, this covers everything they need.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The transition to adding touch support to their desktop OS. ...

The dual mode operation is something to think about because one day soon, mobile phones will be powerful enough to use as a desktop. The virtual desktop guys can already demonstrate what this looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7z6svWLbmM

They call it the Nirvana phone. You just have a monitor in your office, plug in your phone and it switches to desktop mode. ...

The iPhone currently has ample processor power and storage capacity to support a MacOS X-style Desktop. Without doubt, it will gain ever more power and capacity in the future.

There is a clause in the law: "assuming facts not in evidence." You are assuming that there is some kind of transition based on personal wishes but not based on anything that Apple is doing. The "Nirvana phone" is a Citrix project, not an Apple project.

There are numerous reasons why this idea will at best have limited success. However, there is no more compelling reason than is revealed in the Citrix YouTube video that you linked to. The demonstration was interrupted by a telephone call.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I'll go out on a limb and make the following predictions for 10.7:

Hardware Support:

I expect 10.7 will run on all Macs with 64-bit Intel processors. That would mean that early Intel-based Macs with Core Solo or Core Duo (as opposed to Core 2 Duo) would not run 10.7. That would allow Apple to stop shipping 32-bit apps. The specific models that have 32-bit Intel processors are:

iMac: Rev A

Mac Mini: Rev A and B

MacBook: Rev A

MacBook Pro: Rev A and B

Except for the Rev B Mac Mini, these were all produced exclusively in 2006.

Kernel:

I expect 10.7 to continue to ship with both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels, but for the 64-bit kernel to boot by default on all Macs with 64-bit EFI. (By the way, I expect 10.8 to drop the 32-bit kernels and not run on Macs with 32-bit EFI.)

Xcode:

I expect 10.7 to drop all tools for Carbon development. (I expect run-time support for Carbon apps in 10.7.)

Resolution Independence:

Long overdue and probably the most important new feature for 10.7. At the very least, if not Resolution Independence, I think we'll see the UI optimized for 130dpi rather than 100dpi displays.

User apps:

I expect all the user apps that Apple will ship with 10.7 to be 64-bit. (10.6 includes a mix of some 32-bit and many 64-bit user apps).
  • Reply 14 of 14
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I'd like to think TRIM support is in the cards for SSDs, which ought to be approaching mainstream by then.