iPhone 4 recall

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Should Steve jobs recall or even redesign iPhone 4 ???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Nope.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    glgbnafglgbnaf Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phoenix29 View Post

Nope.

Why is that?? Do u have iPhone 4?? I do but.... It sucks to see Steve jobs remarks about the issue on reception, but I'm in a ok location so it could be better... But over all it's a step up compared to the other three years!! Thanks phoenix
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I am waiting patiently for mine (Canadian release is end of month) I just don't think that Apple will recall the phone. You have to remember they have shipped millions of units and only a very small number of people are reporting problems. I am curious to see how it will perform on Rogers network in Canada which trumps AT&T's network. I have never dropped a call on my 3G
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glgbnaf View Post

Should Steve jobs recall or even redesign iPhone 4 ???

No

Recalls are typically for something that's dangerous or unfit for use in the field. The iPhone is neither. What needs to happen is some legal way for Apple to discount bumpers and include a bumper or similar (cheaper ) cover for the antenna. Other than that it seems the iPhone 4 does what Apple say it does.

Re Antenna : I think the problem with the Antenna is two fold

1 - Psychological - they've been told it's bad. Also the Reception strength bars lie to the consumer making the effect more dramatic

2 - Physics - The antenna is indeed more sensitive to radio than it was before. Some could describe this as better. It's problem is that without a cover it's more sensitive to attenuation. The solution is to cover the antenna with something non conductive. When this is done it performs better than the antenna in the previous iPhones. ( paraphrased from AnanTech.com).

The problems are 2 mistakes from Apple - not covering the antenna, and lying about the strength of the signal

And one problem from the consumer - not understanding what the signal bars really mean

Apple are fixing the signal strength perception problem, they just need a legal way to provide a cheap cover for the antenna. Case closed.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Thanks they should give bumpers free or something, I'm not sure if u heard of gizmodo.com I read yesterday someone plugged there iPhone 4 with a apple USB cable to computer and it caught fire but it's only one case and it showed the phone fried and cable, but the guy supposably got burned, my opinion is he or she was doing something wrong or was high as a kite???? But yes your right it does what apple says I think even more but people like to sue apple a lot, hey were human and make mistakes what kind of phone do u have? This iPhone 4 is my first smartphone I was on my old 2005 motorola razr v3 ya it was time to upgrade finally lol lol but hey the thing still works lol thanks for all your input...great
  • Reply 6 of 12
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    In my country (Malaysia) and on my current network provider (Maxis) ... The iPhone 4 will probably launch sometime between August and the end of the year. I will see what the initial local user feedback is before getting the iPhone 4. It's a long time before it launches anyway, so... meh... we'll see. Or maybe I'll get a craving to have it and get my brother to purchase the unlocked set from the UK for me. We'll see.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Same here. In Switzerland, the 4G should be launched by the end of July. I'm going to sit and wait until there's at least one month worth of local feedback around and if there's no real problem, I will buy. Otherwise I will - unwillingly - pass this one on.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In my country (Malaysia) and on my current network provider (Maxis) ... The iPhone 4 will probably launch sometime between August and the end of the year. I will see what the initial local user feedback is before getting the iPhone 4. It's a long time before it launches anyway, so... meh... we'll see. Or maybe I'll get a craving to have it and get my brother to purchase the unlocked set from the UK for me. We'll see.

Yes hopefully a good fix for iPhone 4 for uk by that I hope good luck
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Yes wait I had to buy mine the day released but always wait to get all the bugs out .. Good luck u will love it it's a way better built iPhone 4 compared to the last three good luck and enjoy :-))
  • Reply 10 of 12
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    You know I've been thinking about this but don't have the ability to do it but someone could really make some money if instead of a case, they were willing to make a replacement back along with a little extra bit of plastic to conveniently make it much harder to join the two antennas and detune them.

From everything I've seen and read, it is two screws and some suction and the back comes off. If someone were smart, they could offer a replacement back that is a more durable plastic and stops the two antennas being joined.

Would it be less beautiful than the stock iPhone4? Of course but you could run it closer to naked and keep the back for when you want to resell it or when you just want it to look nice.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Yes hopefully a good fix for iPhone 4 for uk by that I hope good luck

Are you in the UK? How is the iPhone4 reception in the UK (particularly crowded spots in London, for example)...?

Quote:

Yes wait I had to buy mine the day released but always wait to get all the bugs out .. Good luck u will love it it's a way better built iPhone 4 compared to the last three good luck and enjoy :-))

How is your reception? Any issues?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You know I've been thinking about this but don't have the ability to do it but someone could really make some money if instead of a case, they were willing to make a replacement back along with a little extra bit of plastic to conveniently make it much harder to join the two antennas and detune them.

From everything I've seen and read, it is two screws and some suction and the back comes off. If someone were smart, they could offer a replacement back that is a more durable plastic and stops the two antennas being joined.

Would it be less beautiful than the stock iPhone4? Of course but you could run it closer to naked and keep the back for when you want to resell it or when you just want it to look nice.

yes I can agree ya it's fancy but less of that and more dependability would be nice but otherwise it does what apple says except antenna problem apple and AT&T were aware of preselling the thing...but a hard plastic to cover antenna area I agree 1000% on you