iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1%

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Opening eyes.

Personally, I managed to wrap my brain around what Consumer Reports actually is; and Gene Munster sounds so cogent on the matters of appliance field tests and cases.
  • Reply 82 of 106
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Sane article from BusinessInsider on why this is a non-issue here.

Great to see at least a bit of op-ed contrary to the FUD-fest this topic has turned into.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They have acknowledged that there's a problem (several problems, in fact). They've offered work-arounds for some and have promised a fix for others.

What do you want them to do? Sacrifice a goat?

If the software fix doesn't solve the problem, then you can start your whining again. But for now, let Apple fix it like they've promised (I realize that I'm speaking hypothetically since you don't even own an iPhone but continue to whine about it. How much does Google pay you?).

You do like to pretend knowledge that you could not possibly have. Please try not to be ludicrous. Please try not to be flippantly dismissive of everyone who doesn't completely agree with you. I know it's hard, but try.

No, Apple has not actually acknowledged the problem. We all know the steps they've suggested and taken. Have any of them stemmed the tide of negative publicity? No, not in the least. So I think by that measure (the only one that really matters), they have certainly not done anywhere close to enough. The very fact that they've moved so slowly on this issue suggests me that they haven't figured out how to solve it. If it was simply a matter of adjusting the bar measurement formula, that software fix would have been delivered a week or more ago. Notice that this has not happened yet. Notice that Apple has been utterly silent on the issue since then.

This is Apple's biggest PR gaff in years, and I see them doing nothing to get out in front of it. As a stockholder, this makes me unhappy.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I've owned multiple cases for my other iPhones, and the bumper case is the best I've used.

To each his own, but that doesn't fuel FUD does it?

Oh boy, come on,.. Do me a favour,... Wake up and smell the coffee,.. Why would anyone buy a beautiful sophisticated piece of kit , iPhone 4, and turn it into a kids looking toy with one of those bumpers,.. I mean come on man,...

But your right , each and everyone to their own, Hey ho,......
  • Reply 85 of 106
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

How would YOU describe yourself? I mean elsewhere you were asking people to post cv's and credentials in order to validify there opinions on an Internet message board. And only for starters....

I mean...words like "obnoxious", "rude", "snob", "lunatic" have all come to mind when a lot of your posts have come up. And you have this unhealthy obsession with defending EVERYTHING to do with this antenna deficiency, this very obvious and ever increasingly significant design defect that needs to be addressed by Apple pronto or face longer term ramifications. The right thing to do is recall...at the least... free bumper case

Mmmm... Should Apple take your advice or Steve Jobs' advice...

That's a tough call, based on your relative track records!

• Reply 86 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Sane article from BusinessInsider on why this is a non-issue here.

Great to see at least a bit of op-ed contrary to the FUD-fest this topic has turned into.

A completely fact-free article. I kept looking for any concrete reasons why he thinks it's a complete non-issue, but I never found anything but his opinion that it is. FWIW, I think it's probably going to blow over too, but only as quickly as Apple gets on the stick and makes a determined effort to counteract the bad publicity.
  • Reply 87 of 106
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A completely fact-free article. I kept looking for any concrete reasons why he thinks it's a complete non-issue, but I never found anything but his opinion that it is. FWIW, I think it's probably going to blow over too, but only as quickly as Apple gets on the stick and makes a determined effort to counteract the bad publicity.

I agree that Apple is on the wrong side of the PR on this issue, but it's not clear to me what they should be doing (or should have done) differently that would improve matters, short of understanding the problem fully.

As for the article, I would point out that much of what has been written on this subject is fact-free. One fact that I do know is that Apple isn't close to meeting demand for the iPhone4.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

This is a serious question? I mean, given how Steve and Apple did react?

Ok, the easy part, I wouldn't have sent an email telling someone the problem was the way he handled the phone and to handle it differently, aka you're holding it wrong.

I wouldn't have feigned an "oh my gosh! we've used a wrong bar formula all along! you can't believe how surprised we are!" response with the pretense that "cosmetics" was the only issue and it would be solved soon via a patch.

Good for starters?

Yup, a good start. And #3 would be either:
    "we understand there are some unconfirmed reports and we are looking into it"
    or
    say nothing more until you've determined a course of action
    As much as I think Apple made a mistake in the design (physical contact with an antenna affects its performance - end of story), they made an even bigger blunder with their arrogant and clumbsy responses to the complaints.
  • Reply 89 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I agree that Apple is on the wrong side of the PR on this issue, but it's not clear to me what they should be doing (or should have done) differently that would improve matters, short of understanding the problem fully.

As for the article, I would point out that much of what has been written on this subject is fact-free. One fact that I do know is that Apple isn't close to meeting demand for the iPhone4.

To start, telling customers that they were "holding it wrong" was a huge blunder. They never recovered from the mistake of trying to make users feel like they were the problem.

Even a simple but forceful statement, repeated as often as necessary, that Apple is totally committed to making every customer happy with every Apple product they buy would have helped a great deal. In business it is truly the case that "the customer is always right," even when they are completely wrong. Apple took the opposite tack, which unsurprisingly, played very badly. They have lost control of the message, and I wonder how and when they are going to get it back. The mystery to me is how they fouled up so badly at game at which they usually excel.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    Reception issues, bah!!! I don't enjoy talking on the phone that much anyway. I'm still waiting on the email confirmation from Apple saying my iPhone 4 is at the store ready for me to pick it up. But, so many people are buying them, that it looks like that may take a while.\

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Either that or I need to have my eye site checked.

You misspelled iSite.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Gene Munster's assertion is that 25% of the iPhone users' sample space would be periodically effected (i.e. suffer dropped calls now and then) by this design flaw. He based his assertion on the fact that his research shows that 75% of the people purchase cases. Shouldn't we also further reduce that sample space by the fraction of people who are left-handed (about 10%, IIRC)? It seems to me very unlikely that a right-handed person would naturally implement the "death grip". Together, it seems to me that about 2.5% of the iPhone users would even be candidates for this problem, and that's before you take into account that some people hold their phones with fingertips instead of palms and that others live in areas of good strong signals, where the effect typically won't cause a dropped call.

This seems to be a significant problem (in principle) that is only a significant problem (in practice) to people that meet a very specific set of circumstances. I think that Apple should do all it can, within reason, to help that (small) set of people.

Thompson
  • Reply 92 of 106
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I have been waiting to buy a case for my iP4-- I was hoping to get a combination case/battery like the one Mophie has for the 3G and 3GS: the JuicePack Air.

But soccer season is about to start with 4 practices and 2 games per week-- it was time to get some protection (for my iP4).

The nearest Apple store is about 30 miles and AT&T was sold out of cases. So, I went to my friendly, local, Radio Shack.

They carry a Incipio dermaSHOT anti-slip case for $20.

It is great... and attractive, too...

I am not experiencing any antenna or proximity problems, but for those who are, this could be a work-around.

http://www.myincipio.com/c=FAclYgQyV...aSHOT+iphone+4

HTH

Dick

• Reply 93 of 106
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Why do I have a little red dot over there?

<-------------

Oops. It turned green.

What does the dot indicate?
  • Reply 94 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Whatever you do, don't upgrade to iOS4!! You're phone will be slow as molasses. A deliberate ploy on Apple's part to force you to buy new hardware. Once you upgrade there is no going back.

I had this problem on my iPhone 3G, but a restore from backup helped significantly. It's still not as snappy as iPhone 4 but it became usable again. Worth trying.
  • Reply 95 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

There will be NO recall.

If you don't like the phone, RETURN IT.

Yelling louder doesn't change anyone's mind.

People seem to be all false-dichotomy about this, that one should either keep the unit you have or use some other brand product. I've yet to see anyone suggest trying an exchange. For the one in a thousand (just a guess, I don't know) that might very well be defective, a replacement might be the fix.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Why do I have a little red dot over there?

<-------------

Oops. It turned green.

What does the dot indicate?

With many graphics, you can mouse over them. It indicates whether or not someone is on this web site. I don't know if it really matters to anyone though.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    sdeetzsdeetz Posts: 5member
    I think a huge part of the problem is that the iphone does not switch from 3G to edge fast enough when the signal drops.

I have been testing this out by manually turning 3G on and off and comparing signal strength and call quality. On edge at my house, I get significantly stronger signals and have yet to drop a call. On 3G at my house I get 1-2 bars, and it never switches to edge, even when the signal drops to zero bars. The calls have dropped 6 or 7 times, and not once did it switch to the edge network.

On my old iPhone 3G, the signal would routinely switch to edge whenever the signal dropped down to about 1 bar.

AT&T says the 3G network is everywhere edge is in my neighborhood, but the fact remains that the edge only setting gets better reception & fewer dropped calls. Perhaps that's because the edge network is less congested.

I suggest Apple looks into a firmware update that switches voice calls to edge faster when the signal degrades.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Just give them away to the people that ask for them and everyone is happy.

Apple is not going to try to appease customers with free Bumpers.

Appeasement never works. Just ask Chamberlain.
  • Reply 98 of 106
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Really? If you compare his estimates to EVERY other analyst you'd be hard pressed to name one with a better track record. Can you? Waiting...

I gave my own opinion, why do you have to be such a dick about it?
  • Reply 99 of 106
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

With the Internet Bullhorn Effect, a defect rate of 1 in 10000 can be made to sound serious and widespread.

Exactly. And that would mean that there are only 200 defective iPhones in the whole wide world, assuming Apple sold 2 million of them.

But the haters won't face reality.
  • Reply 100 of 106
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Exactly. And that would mean that there are only 200 defective iPhones in the whole wide world, assuming Apple sold 2 million of them.

But the haters won't face reality.

Yes, that's it - there are only 200 people in the entire world who have had a problem. That's all. The rest of this is just a conspiracy. Its all haters. Evil people who will stop at nothing to tarnish the reputation of Apple. Why? Because they are mean. Nasty. Haters. Invested in pointless, contemptuous, reasonless hatred - of a phone. Yep, that's the issue. That's the most logical, cogent, well-considered and most probable reason... because there are so many MANY people who so badly hate... this phone, and the company that makes it.

Yep. Totally - that's the whole thing.