MacBook Pro won't boot up...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Yes, i have tried the safe-mode and the ram restart... neither worked.

I was trying to install Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro, but after a few minutes of installing, the screen went to a white (very pale grey?) screen with the Apple logo. That's all... no mouse, no keyboard, no nothing. Nor is there a pinwheel or whirly thing (as they are called by really cool people (: ) or any other animation other than the stoic grey Apple logo.

Further more, i cannot remove the Snow Leopard disk from my MacBook.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Sounds like your harddisk is fried. Apparently the harddisk shares the i/o port on the motherboard with the DVD drive. So when the HD croaks it 'jams' the i/o port and so locks out the DVD drive.

Apple tech will need to swap out the HD for a new one. If your MBP is still under warranty there will be no charge (apart from maybe shipping).

I hope you have a good backup data set...

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaxG View Post

Yes, i have tried the safe-mode and the ram restart... neither worked.

I was trying to install Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro, but after a few minutes of installing, the screen went to a white (very pale grey?) screen with the Apple logo. That's all... no mouse, no keyboard, no nothing. Nor is there a pinwheel or whirly thing (as they are called by really cool people (: ) or any other animation other than the stoic grey Apple logo.

Further more, i cannot remove the Snow Leopard disk from my MacBook.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

It's not necessarily a dead hard drive, but we should test the hard drive to make sure.

Follow these steps:
    1. Reboot your computer (hold down the power button).

2. Immediately. after you hear the boot noise, left click (yes, on the mouse).

3. Once the disc ejects (it should, if it doesn't we have more trouble) shut down the computer again.

4. Boot the computer and reinsert the disc.

5. If you can get to the installer, click the Utilities tab at the top and select "Disk Utility".

6. Run "Repair Disk" on your hard drive.

7. Tell us the results if there are any warnings or errors, if not simply boot off the disc and retry your install.