Every week Apple doesn't act on iPhone 4 antenna could cost $200M

Comments

• Reply 81 of 227
    mutantmutant Posts: 12member
    Guys - in all honesty, NOBODY here knows the answer! We are all just guessing based on what others have said, personal experiences (good/bad) and personal feelings towards Apple (good/bad). Add money to the equation and it gets even more touchy. I personally will wait until the patch comes out before I pass any judgment.

Please stop this craziness - it's turning into a freaking middle school biatchfest. I'm not saying people aren't having issues - just no need to name call and flame. It's a discussion board, not a I DEMAND, or YOU"RE AND IDIOT board.

Sheesh!
  • Reply 82 of 227
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

If this were a TV that dropped TV shows without warning whenever you entered the room; or a car that randomly stopped while being driven - would you expect anything other than a re-call and the produce repaired?

I paid an early termination fee to leave Verizon - that was my decision, based upon the belief that the 4th Generation iPhone would be a solid product. I then ordered my iPhone through AT&T, because Apple's website was woefully inadequate to handle the demand that the iPhone created.

Now, I have a phone that does not operate as advertized, it drops calls in areas where the reception is poor (ie. where I work). On the desk, it works fine; but if I dare to pick it up - the signal goes from 4 bars to No Signal.

I have since purchased a case, and disabling the 3G has given me improved reception - but this isn't what was advertized, and this is not what I was would think would be an acceptable product. If I try to return the product, I'm still out my early termination cost from Verizon (significant), a restocking fee from AT&T (minor, but irritating) and then will be forced into taking a phone I do NOT want (Apple 3GS) for the remainder of the 2 yr committment.

I see no reason why this was not discovered during testing, and I'm an engineer with over 25 yrs experience, working in R&D, Manufacturing and Testing. I find it very suspicious that Apple would say that this came as a surprise, this indicates that either Apple's official stance is to have no integrity and give an outright 'Lie' as their official stance; or they are horribly inept at product test. I don't believe that they are inept.

No one loves a liar.

I am in almost the same situation where a return is a catch-22 (no real point in going into details). Thankfully I still have my (jail-broken) 3GS that I am able to use with my new contract.

Shame on Apple. They are worse than BP, ethically speaking.
  • Reply 83 of 227
    Quote:

Consider, for the first time ever ..... ever! Apple made an accessory for the iPhone, and what an amazing coincidence that the product doesn't work well without this accessory!! Why, it's almost beyond belief.

Emphasis mine!

It's rather convenient to ignore facts when they don't support your assertion.

Below are 2 links for Apple sites: the first is accessories for the iPod / iPhone -- since the iPod has not been updated to the iPhone 4 architecture, it represents accessories that were available for iPhones prior to the iPhone 4.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODQwNw

Many of the accessories shown are Apple products and support prior generation(s) iPhones. So, your claim "Consider, for the first time ever ..... ever! Apple made an accessory for the iPhone" is patently false.

The second link is for iPhone accessories. As expected, it targets accessories that are for the new iPhone 4, with some targeted at last-years 3GS model (which is the current entry product). Support for prior generation iPhones may be mentioned, incidentally, but is not emphasized (as these products are no-longer available for sale).

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODQyNg

Many accessories, including the new bumper case are Apple products.

I chose to show the iPod accessories because it is not easy to retrieve the pages for the prior generation of iPhones, now that the iPhone 4 has been announced. The iPod accessories show several 3rd-party cases for the iPod.

I can't easily prove, but it is reasonable to assume that the iPhone accessory site, prior to iPhone 4, included similar 3rd-party cases for prior iPhones.

So, you made a false, overly broad statement: "Consider, for the first time ever ..... ever! Apple made an accessory for the iPhone", and seem to imply that, because it is a bumper case, it was offered to mitigate a design defect.

While your conclusion, could, possibly be true-- the "facts" you used to arrive at that conclusion are inconveniently false. But you just go ahead and state them as facts.

What other assertions have you made on this issue that are conveniently tailored to fit your point of view?

• Reply 84 of 227
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:

But there just aren't digitally controlled energy storage media in a microchip format (inductors or capacitors).

Digitally tuned capacitors have been used for ages. If I were you I would at least google around before impersonating as an engineer. Maybe it's time for you to go back to school?

Quote:

It's better than calling your customers an idiot.

But what if some of them are?
  • Reply 85 of 227
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course, that assumes that you even own an iPhone. Given your posting history, it's far more likely that you've never bought one and never would, but you're simply doing what you're being paid by Google to do.

Damn, I wish I were employed by Google!! I'd have a nice office, a great campus and wouldn't live in the sticks where my job is located.

Nope, I had a Verizon Dare, and jumped ship to AT&T to get the iPhone after admiring the 3G and the 3GS. I expected the iPhone 4 to be AT LEAST as good as the 3GS - and in a great many regards it's superior. But holding onto a weak signal is not one of them. When my phone is on my desk, it works great; when I pick it up - the phone drops the call.

However, when I disable the 3G - the phone works as well as my co-worker's 3GS. So, a part of the puzzle is firmware (face detection, 3G degrading cell phone reception) - but the design flaw still exists. I'm using a case, and with the case the problem is essentially fixed - but the principle of the matter remains. The phone requires aftermarket accessories for it to function as advertised.
  • Reply 86 of 227
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    How do you go from making comments like these?

Quote:

...allow a fanboi like you to give them an excuse

Quote:

Please point out the error, fanboi...I'm sure Mommy has some safety scissors for you to use. Noob.

Quote:

Ok, Noob ... the origional cell phones all had external antennas...

...to one like this? It hurts your credibility.

Quote:

Your statement regarding re-tuning the receiver is flawed - I am unaware of a digitally tunable capacitor. Digitally controlled resistors, yup. But there just aren't digitally controlled energy storage media in a microchip format (inductors or capacitors). Thus, you 'tune' your receiver in hardware and use software filters to further re-fine the tuning - but if you detune the antenna system by adding a variable 10-40 pF (human) load - I don't see how Apple can overcome this in firmware.

• Reply 87 of 227
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

I'm sick and tired of reading this crap. It is time for AI and the rest to move on from this stupid antenna thing.

If the product is a problem for you, take it back, don't buy it, or just shut up about it.

This whinning and stategerizing about what Apple does or doesn't do or it's effect on Apple is Apple's business.

Get a life. Move on. Buy something else and bitch about it's problems.

You do know that won't happen don't you? The problem is that I'm still wasting my time reading the same minutia. I just wish Apple would do something to shut up the whiners. Everyone of them knows they can take the iPhone back for a refund anytime they choose. But whining and bitching about Apple is more fun. Of course we can only guess at how many of these people actually have an iPhone to whine about.
  • Reply 88 of 227
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Who Cares... Just Resolve the Issue Already -
  • Reply 89 of 227
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Consider, for the first time ever ..... ever! Apple made an accessory for the iPhone, and what an amazing coincidence that the product doesn't work well without this accessory!! Why, it's almost beyond belief.

NOT true. How about informing yourself before you state something like that?

If you hate the phone that much return it and get over it.
  • Reply 90 of 227
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    I got to thinking today... perhaps this whole mess actually is a software issue.

I read somewhere where someone suggested that maybe when you touch that part of the phone, it's actually making it MORE signal, not less, but the software screws up and makes the signal drop.

How hilarious would it be if Apple rolls out a software update that fixes the problem and reception is actually improved when you pick it up and have no more dropped calls.

If I recall correctly, Apple has been able to fix issues with their computers that a lot of people SWORE that it HAD TO BE HARDWARE with a software update. After all, software CONTROLS the hardware.

Am I right?

I'm not saying that this software update will solve the problem because I have just as much doubt as everyone else about it, but it would be interesting if they did in fact find something in the baseband that wasn't making the hardware act as it should.
  • Reply 91 of 227
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

good one lol

impiously

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...EYWORDS=toyota

For me it's not the most evident thing who's fault it was but how to avoid it.

Please keep at least least the respect for the victims.
  • Reply 92 of 227
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

You do know that won't happen don't you? The problem is that I'm still wasting my time reading the same minutia. I just wish Apple would do something to shut up the whiners. Everyone of them knows they can take the iPhone back for a refund anytime they choose. But whining and bitching about Apple is more fun. Of course we can only guess at how many of these people actually have an iPhone to whine about.

Except you, I guess everyone else has an iPhone around here. You should get one too. It's a glorious new way of watching movies and listening to music. When you need to make a call, use your micro SIM adaptor with your micro SIM on the 3GS!
  • Reply 93 of 227
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

I had a Verizon Dare, and jumped ship to AT&T to get the iPhone after admiring the 3G and the 3GS

LOL, you bought a Verizon Dare and expect to be taken seriously?
  • Reply 94 of 227
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Do you have a iPhone 4? If not, I suggest you STFU. You have no skin in the game; you are background chatter. Somehow, I think if you had put your money where your mouth is, you'd be singing another song.

Some of us paid money for a defecive product, some of us face fines (re-stocking fees) and will then be forced to take another unwanted AT&T product for the remainder of our 2 yr committment - so having an ignorant Apple fanboi telling us to return the product is not helpful, or particularily intelligent.

No, that's what some of you think. And its really irritating to people who know better.

So knock off the name calling, as it doesn't make your iPhone work any better, and it certainly doesn't make mine suddenly develop a problem it never had in the first place.
  • Reply 95 of 227
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    In other news, iPhone 4 fits really well into the original iPhone dock...anyone try this yet? I just discovered it today and could not be happier.
  • Reply 96 of 227
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

NOT true. How about informing yourself before you state something like that?

If you hate the phone that much return it and get over it.

I think the reason people aren't returning their iPhones just yet is:

1. It's still an amazing piece of tech (if held right). HD video camera, Facetime, Retina Display, blazing speed

2. People are still within their 30 days and they're waiting for some sort of fix or response from Apple.

3. It doesn't bother some people enough to return it. They just learn to hold it differently.

4. People in high signal areas will never know that something is wrong with their iPhone 4.

I returned mine and now I'm back to being happy again. I'm using my iPhone 3G on a go-phone plan from AT&T and I've got 2.2.1 firmware loaded on it. I couldn't be happier right now.
  • Reply 97 of 227
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

except you, i guess everyone else has an iphone around here. You should get one too. It's a glorious new way of watching movies and listening to music. When you need to make a call, use your micro sim adaptor with your micro sim on the 3gs!

q.e.d. :d
  • Reply 98 of 227
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DominoXML View Post

impiously

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...EYWORDS=toyota

For me it's not the most evident thing who's fault it was but how to avoid it.

Please keep at least least the respect for the victims.

it wasn't out of disrespect for the victims, but rather out of disrespect for the illogical bs that was posted earlier about needing to be affected by the antenna issue in order to comment on it. Obviously if someone dies in a car crash, they can't comment.
  • Reply 99 of 227
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Damn, I wish I were employed by Google!! I'd have a nice office, a great campus and wouldn't live in the sticks where my job is located.

Nope, I had a Verizon Dare, and jumped ship to AT&T to get the iPhone after admiring the 3G and the 3GS. I expected the iPhone 4 to be AT LEAST as good as the 3GS - and in a great many regards it's superior. But holding onto a weak signal is not one of them. When my phone is on my desk, it works great; when I pick it up - the phone drops the call.

However, when I disable the 3G - the phone works as well as my co-worker's 3GS. So, a part of the puzzle is firmware (face detection, 3G degrading cell phone reception) - but the design flaw still exists. I'm using a case, and with the case the problem is essentially fixed - but the principle of the matter remains. The phone requires aftermarket accessories for it to function as advertised.

I understand wanting an expensive product to work well. I do not understand buying a product with a new design and not understanding the risk in buying on the first day. When I am an early adopter (white slab iMac and iPad) I understand that there is a risk of undetected problems.

I do hope for the sake of all who bought, that Apple will be able to fix the problem that many are having. If the problem with antenna does bother you excessively, return the thing. You can cancel your contract with AT&T in the U.S,
  • Reply 100 of 227
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutant View Post

Guys - in all honesty, NOBODY here knows the answer! We are all just guessing based on what others have said, personal experiences (good/bad) and personal feelings towards Apple (good/bad). Add money to the equation and it gets even more touchy. I personally will wait until the patch comes out before I pass any judgment.

Please stop this craziness - it's turning into a freaking middle school biatchfest. I'm not saying people aren't having issues - just no need to name call and flame. It's a discussion board, not a I DEMAND, or YOU"RE AND IDIOT board.

Sheesh!

No way. The answer is clear: Once Apple releases their software update which defies the laws of physics, this whole mess will go away.

Anyone who believes otherwise is a troll.