Microsoft exec compares Apple's iPhone 4 to Windows Vista

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A Microsoft executive has said that the iPhone 4 could become Apple's version of the maligned Windows Vista operating system -- implying the product could be a misfire that will leave a bad taste in the mouth of consumers.

Microsoft Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner gave the keynote speech at his company's Worldwide Partner Conference this week, and commented on the iPhone 4 antenna issue that has gained a considerable amount of media attention this week, following a change of opinion on the handset by Consumer Reports. The comments were reported Wednesday by Gregg Keizer of Computerworld.

"It looks like the iPhone 4 might be their Vista, and I'm OK with that," Turner was quoted as saying.

Earlier, he took another jab at Apple, saying that when the multitouch Windows Phone 7 launches later this year on mobile devices, users will "not have to worry about how you're holding it to make a phone call." He said that Microsoft's forthcoming mobile operating system, along with the bad publicity being experienced by Apple, are evidence that Microsoft can still be a force in the mobile phone market.

"We're back in the game," Turner reportedly said. "And this game is not over."

This week's event is not the first time Turner has made disparaging remarks about Apple in public. Last year, he bragged that Microsoft received a phone call from Apple's legal department over the company's "Laptop Hunters" advertisements. Apple reportedly called to complain that the advertisement showed an outdated, higher price for a MacBook Pro. Microsoft later quietly changed the advertisement.

Microsoft is not the only company that's poked fun at the iPhone 4. Earlier this month, Verizon ran a full page ad in The New York Times for Motorola's new Droid X smartphone. "Most importantly, it comes with a double antenna design," the ad read. "The kind that allows you to hold the phone any way you like and use it just about anywhere to make crystal clear calls. You have a voice. And you deserve to be heard."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Always nice to see big companies make fun over their failures while making fun of others.
  • Reply 2 of 113
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I thought you had to actually have a product to be "in the game".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

• Reply 3 of 113
    When people line up for Windows phones, then he can talk. Until then, he's just embarrassing himself...and MS.
  • Reply 4 of 113
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Microsoft is *literally* defining The New Dictionary Of Product Failures.

*Vista is the new term for a serious stumble.

Dude, be careful. You don't wanna Vista this project.

*Kin is the new term for major fvckup.

OMFG! This is one unmitigated Kin.
  • Reply 5 of 113
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    When MS decides to make phone hardware, are they going to put a red ring of lights on it?
  • Reply 6 of 113
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

A Microsoft executive has said that the iPhone 4 could become Apple's version of the maligned Windows Vista operating system -- implying the product could be a misfire that will leave a bad taste in the mouth of consumers.

Or maybe Microsoft's Kin?

• Reply 7 of 113
    ndengndeng Posts: 14member
    What a Shame !!! he mentioned Vista !!!

I've got a bumper case to fix it; What did MS had to fix on Vista? Patch after Patch... and total lost at the End including all the hardware costs.

Compare to Apple? I haven't lose a penny. I sold fist iphone to upgrade 3g and had left over, sold 3g to upgrade to 3gs had left over now keeping 3gs and having iphone 4 fresh is priceless but no one want my Vista that is worthless...

Now, use Mac after 10 year using Window. And My Window 7 at home act as a DVD Player.

Shame, I'm sorry to say...
  • Reply 8 of 113
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    At least MS admits Vista was a failure and complete crap. But...it's way to early to call the iPhone 4 Apple's Vista. Honestly, IF it's a defect, so what? Just pick up any Android smartphone and notice all the defects: OS with total lack of polish, plastic crap hardware, horrible touch screen, not an iPod, you call that an app market(?), battery life of a non-alkaline 9 volt... Now that's defective!
  • Reply 9 of 113
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:

A Microsoft executive has said that the iPhone 4 could become Apple's version of the maligned Windows Vista operating system -- implying the product could be a misfire that will leave a bad taste in the mouth of consumers."

Well, if we needed to have more proof that this whole issue is being hyped way out of proportion, I think we just got it.

Ask yourself; who gains from trying to make this molehill of an issue into a mountain? Well, DUH!

Meanwhile, Apple will speak with deeds when the "fix" comes out. And that will be that.
  • Reply 10 of 113
    They still don't understand that there is a bit of a difference between producing a phone or merely an OS. They won't have any influence on flaws of the phones on which their OS is installed.
  • Reply 11 of 113
    Quote:

And then he said:

"Yeah. We put in our B team to trick 'em. Yeah. Make 'em overconfident. This way, we can sneak up on 'em, and beat 'em. We're tricky like that, see?"
  • Reply 12 of 113
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    I'd hardly say that the iPhone 4 antenae problem is on the same level as the Vista problem. As one person said, it can be fixed with a simple non-conductive coating or adding the "bumper".

All Apple should do is give out free "bumpers" to existing owners who have a problem, if that fixes it. Apple can then fix future iPhone 4's by adding the non-conductive coating.

Apple, however is going to become the butt of all jokes.
  • Reply 13 of 113
    M$ has 2 problems with it's phone:

1- software - it doesn't have W7 mobile ready

2- hardware - it has no hardware of it's own

so... even if they come up with the software part, they can't be certain the hardware works properly, since they don't make it
  • Reply 14 of 113
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Microsoft is *literally* defining The New Dictionary Of Product Failures.

*Vista is the new term for a serious stumble.

Dude, be careful. You don't wanna Vista this project.

*Kin is the new term for major fvckup.

OMFG! This is one unmitigated Kin.

And XBox is shorthand for 100% failure rate. As in the Minnesota T-Wolves have gone XBox ever since they traded KG away.
  • Reply 15 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

...As one person said, it can be fixed with a simple non-conductive coating or adding the "bumper".

I have to admit, though, I'm pretty surprised that the antenna "issue", no matter how impactful, slipped through product testing. Given that reception is one of the primary concerns of 3G/3GS owners (warranted or not, whether AT&T's fault or design), I expected Apple would have that aspect sewn up.
  • Reply 16 of 113
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    apple's detractors are pulling out all the stops to make this an issue.
  • Reply 17 of 113
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Too funny! MS is so far behind the game in both Computer AND mobile OSes it sad! I just got my iPhone 4 a couple days ago. I tried to drop the bars with the so called "Death Grip", and it just isn't like people are saying. I've covered as much of the metal band as possible with my hands and it drops 2 bars at most. Vista is a F-up of gargantuan proportions!
  • Reply 18 of 113
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Company takes a dig at another company. Big deal. This is like schoolyard gossip.
  • Reply 19 of 113
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

At least MS admits Vista was a failure and complete crap. But...it's way to early to call the iPhone 4 Apple's Vista. Honestly, IF it's a defect, so what? Just pick up any Android smartphone and notice all the defects: OS with total lack of polish, plastic crap hardware, horrible touch screen, not an iPod, you call that an app market(?), battery life of a non-alkaline 9 volt... Now that's defective!

Sorry, I have to disagree. In the court of public opinion, the iPhone 4 is already a Vista. EVERYONE "knows" the iPhone 4 is problematic, regardless of whether or not it actually is. Apple has already lost the battle for "common knowledge" on the product; it is permanently tainted in the cultural vernacular. Not everyone knows that Android phones have issues, but even technically-ignorant grandmothers have heard of the iPhone 4's problems.

I honestly don't know if a recall would help or hurt, but the only way Apple can fruly fix things is to move on and release the iPhone 5. That's what it took for Microsoft with Vista, Ford with the Edsel, Disney with EuroDisney, McDonald's with the Arch Deluxe, etc.
  • Reply 20 of 113
    For years, Microsoft had to deal with the "Get a Mac" TV ads which were much more of a public attack on Vista then this one comment would be from Microsoft about the iPhone. But to say it will be Apple's Vista...a little to soon to say that...But the bigger issue is going to be how bad the iPhone brand itself will be damaged, moving ahead in the future...

No matter how big or small the antenna and proximity sensor issues might be, it's not starting to matter at this point...Case in point. Letterman's top ten list from the other night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEAGos68cBg

Notice it isn't mentioned as an iPhone 4 issue but just iPhone. It's things like this that will have a bigger impact long term to the iPhone brand itself than any current hardware or software issues. You can argue about Letterman being full of crap but the point is, this has gone mainstream and it isn't just people who visit blogs like Appleinsider or any others who might be aware of the issues. Hell, my dad last night who barely can use a regular cell phone, let alone an iPhone was asking me if I was dropping calls with my new iPhone 4...

If Apple has a software fix, it better do more than just correct the display of reception bars on the phone...Because if the reception things keep hanging around, it's only giving free ammo to the Microsoft's and Google's of the world. Right or wrong, any competitor will take any free shots they can take. Apple has done it's fair share of this also...Will it slow down sales of the iPhone? Who knows but at the least, it gives competitors a bigger chance at gaining market share, based on perception alone...