Calling all germans: Help needed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am considering to take one or two semesters in Die Freie Universität in Berlin in 2003. My field is sociology. but of course I have a lot of questions before I start the planning for real.

1) Have anyone any experience with FU? Especially their faculty of sociology? What about Humbolt? How is the two compared with eachother (both from own experience and from the general opinion)?

2) What is the conditions for foreign students? Is there a lot of english courses? Can you do your exams in english?

3) Housing: Is it easy to get a (rented) appartment in Berlin? How many ? do two and three room appartments with bath cost? I am especially interested in Friedrichshain around Warschauer Str. (know some people who live there) or Kreuzberg.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]Calling all germans: Help needed<hr></blockquote>*G*ermans

[quote]3) Housing: Is it easy to get a (rented) appartment in Berlin? How many ? do two and three room appartments with bath cost? I am especially interested in Friedrichshain around Warschauer Str. (know some people who live there) or Kreuzberg.<hr></blockquote>Could you not ask your friends who live there?

All I know is, that accommodation in Berlin is cheaper than in Hamburg.

- T.I.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Installer:

<strong>Could you not ask your friends who live there?

- T.I.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is the accommodation cheaper In Hamburg than Zermatt, the hotel in particular with the lovely bar ?

• Reply 3 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Installer:

<strong>*G*ermans

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks

[quote]<strong>Could you not ask your friends who live there?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have asked but I need more input since can´t really believe what they tell me. According to them a two room 60 Sq meter/650 Sq feet appartment with bath costs from ?200/$180 per month with a normal price around ?270-340/$240-300. My appartment cost me ?540/$470 and even though its placed very central in Copenhagen in a very attractive area its a very normal price here. I really can´t imagine that appartments only costs half in Berlin compared to Copenhagen.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tobyxtobyx Posts: 35member
    [quote]2) What is the conditions for foreign students? Is there a lot of english courses? Can you do your exams in english?

<hr></blockquote>

I am actually more than 500 km away from Beriln and therefore can't tell you anything about the Universities there A good recommendation for foreign students coming to Germany is <a href="http://www.campus-germany.de/"; target="_blank">http://www.campus-germany.de/</a>;

You can take your classes and write your exams and tests in English only if you get to study in a bachelor/master class, you need to catch information on that before. The usual German Master equivalent diploma 'Diplom' is only held in German. Anyway, good knowledge of the German language is highly recommended.

Berlin is a great city although I would recommend Hamburg or Frankfurt (no bashes please).

TobyX

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: TobyX ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by powerdoc:

<strong>

Is the accommodation cheaper In Hamburg than Zermatt, the hotel in particular with the lovely bar ?

</strong><hr></blockquote>Depends on who wants to stay there. I am always at table 10 BTW

- T.I.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by TobyX:

<strong>

I am actually more than 500 km away from Beriln and therefore can't tell you anything about the Universities there A good recommendation for foreign students coming to Germany is <a href="http://www.campus-germany.de/"; target="_blank">http://www.campus-germany.de/</a>;

You can take your classes and write your exams and tests in English only if you get to study in a bachelor/master class, you need to catch information on that before. The usual German Master equivalent diploma 'Diplom' is only held in German. Anyway, good knowledge of the German language is highly recommended.

Berlin is a great city although I would recommend Hamburg or Frankfurt (no bashes please).

TobyX

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: TobyX ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks that the kind of info I need. I anyone got more specific answers to my q´s please post post POST.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Anders:

[QB] Is there a lot of english courses?

Are there a lot of English courses?

It's still improve Anders's English Week isn't it?