Apple engineer warned Steve Jobs about iPhone 4 reception last year

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark-m View Post

Did anyone notice that Ruben Caballero, "a senior engineer and antenna expert with Apple", is actually the Sr. Director iPhone/iPod at Apple?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Ruben/Caballero/

His profile says he is interested in career opportunities. What a surprise.
  • Reply 82 of 137
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Ruben Caballero also has a patent for "iPhone's Isolated Antennas".

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...t-display.html

I'm assuming he had a hand in the design, being the Sr. Director Engineering for iPhone. That assumption could be wrong. However, I find it hard to believe some engineer of this level is running around talking about product issues to people who'd be reporting it over to Bloomberg.

For all we know, he is pissed that this fiasco has happened, regardless of his warnings and he is the leak himself. Or it could be someone in his dept, they knew their boss presented the warnings and they leaked it. Or maybe he was drunk at a German beer hall and let it slip
  • Reply 83 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

You're assuming that Senior Director is a top level dog. At the two organizations I've worked there are multiple Senior Directors in an organization branch

It seems he is not the only Senior Director., He is the Senior Director of Engineering for the iPhone and the iPod. Here's his Linked-In title:

Current

* Sr. Director Engineering iPhone/iPod at Apple Inc.

Ruben Caballero?s Experience

Sr. Director Engineering iPhone/iPod

Apple Inc.

(Public Company; AAPL; Computer Hardware industry)

January 2005 ? Present (5 years 7 months)

Wireless System Engineering
  • Reply 84 of 137
    Quote:

Ruben Caballero also has a patent for "iPhone's Isolated Antennas".

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...t-display.html

I'm assuming he had a hand in the design, being the Sr. Director Engineering for iPhone. That assumption could be wrong. However, I find it hard to believe some engineer of this level is running around talking about product issues to people who'd be reporting it over to Bloomberg.

Read the article again. It does not say that Caballero did anything that you suggest. The anonymous source is making statements about what Caballero did/said. That source could have heard directly (as is another Apple employee) of from another. Nowhere is it said that Cabellero reported this to others outside of Apple.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Quoted for truth.

It's why Steve is also refusing to give away free bumpers up to this point. The profit margin on those things is over 90%.

Or maybe it's because bumpers don't fix the 'problem' and throwing around free bumpers to people who would continue to have the problem would simply make Apple look worse rather than better.

In reality, bumpers will solve one of the 4 problems. It will have no impact on the rest. Until Apple has analyzed the situation, determined the frequency of each type of failure, and found a good solution that works, they shouldn't be doing ANYTHING like giving away free bumpers. Blindly desperate moves rarely pay off.

Now, if they find that it's a real problem affecting a large number of people and if a bumper will solve the problem, then it would be perfectly reasonable to give them away. But you don't know that.

Quote:

Did anyone notice that Ruben Caballero, "a senior engineer and antenna expert with Apple", is actually the Sr. Director iPhone/iPod at Apple?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Ruben/Caballero/

One would think it would change the entire tone of the original article. Are we to believe the the Sr. Director of the iPhone was warning about the issue and would just talk about this carelessly with an unknown source?

Doesn't make sense to me. By the Bloomberg author leaving out this bit of information, it makes it sound like some regular engineer was not heard or ignored.

Shame on Apple Insider for not doing a simple Google search on the name Ruben Caballero to find out who he is.

That's just the way AI works. They get paid by the hit, so the more crap hits they generate, the better. That means that they'll intentionally try to stir up controversy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

One thing that is for certain....

Someone is going to get fired/sued.

Someone already got sued. Several times. I don't know how many suits have already been filed on the iPhone. Of course, whether Apple will lose any of them is still an open question.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Wow. Mental math...11,000 posts....9 years....what is that, 3 or 4 posts per day?! I guess if anyone is a judge on a loss of objectivity...

But what do I know, I only have 113 posts.

Indeed. Some of the people around here are scary. How in the world could they possibly maintain anything close to objectivity when you have a significant part of their life invested in the naive worship of a corporation's products?

You also have to love how this clown uses his post count as a means of suggesting forum "superiority".
  • Reply 87 of 137
    Quote:

I find it hard to believe some engineer of this level is running around talking about product issues to people who'd be reporting it over to Bloomberg.

True. More likely this anonymous "source" claims he just sorta kinda overheard it.
  • Reply 88 of 137
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    given the secrecy of Apple's operation, and small amount of people in the knows before launch.

I find it hard to believe that anyone of them would leak something like that to the press.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Obviously those you have replied have never worked in such an environment and therefore find it impossible to believe. Whereas other "engineer" will immediately relate.

Yeah, I'd like you to back up some of the non-obvious assertions you made. Here are a few you could try to defend:

1) There is no camera because they could not get it to function properly - at all.

-As opposed to being just a placeholder for they could get the feature out with iPhone 4 first

2)Brought in new Engineer who within 1 week said the problem was with the Industrial Design:

- the mounting needed to change

- the material coating was causing reflections in to camera and needed to change as well

-really, he knew it in one week? Not 3 weeks? Not 4 months?

3) Apparently that was not well received and he was almost fired as well.

-Was he almost fired? You sure he wasn't almost given a raise?

That's funny. I am a developer at a company that does software and hardware. Lots of engineers running around here. My office building is surrounded on all sides by the RIM campus. Many friends and associates working at RIM, Google, Sandvine, Agfa. Some are engineers. My son's godfather is a mechanical engineer. I am familiar with 'such an environment'. So, again, stop pulling shit out of your ass.

I am not disputing that your claims might be true. But, simply spewing them out with nothing to substantiate them makes them as useful and worthwhile as someone here making claims about their date with your mom. Back it up, or it is just worthless shit.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you see no relevance then to the Thread about the Antenna Engineer then?

Where is that "substantiated".100%? Yet it is surely true. Granted the circumstance somewhat gray as is life.

The previous engineer did what he could to get the camera to work given the Industrial Design was not to change - no matter what. The new engineer having the benefit of the previous work and the skills easily discerned the problem. Yet was to green to know that he was not giving them the answer they wanted.

Now lets look at the "receive signal strength" bull. We were "shocked" to find our algorithm was totally wrong. Really - gee - really. But doesn't the Transceiver which is an OEM component report the RSSI measurements? I think the Transceiver is from Infineon. But Apple said "their" algorithm for calculating the signal strength was wrong not anything with the measurement reports themselves. Now lets see 3GPP standards like TS27.007 and others...hmm...received signal strength indication values are documented. So what is this magical algorithm? a Range checker?

Oh well I will let developers and highly skilled engineers like yourself carry on this emotional thread. Last post. Least I be hunted down and persecuted.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 87vert View Post

So it looks like Apple will be looking for one more engineer after they fire this guy.

Fire which guy? The guy who found the issue and doesn't work for Apple. Or the guys who didn't design the phone correctly and said nothing?
  • Reply 91 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Man, you never know how many trolls are in the place until someone lets off a stinkbomb; then they come crawling out of the woodwork like an infestation of cockroaches!

It's hard to admit it, but Apple ain't perfect.
  • Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Wow. Mental math...11,000 posts....9 years....what is that, 3 or 4 posts per day?! I guess if anyone is a judge on a loss of objectivity...

But what do I know, I only have 113 posts.

Actually, you are right, what do you know about the posters here?

SDW has been here a long time (longer than the current join date would suggest) and is an Apple fan, but you could never call him an Apple apologist. He is very opinionated and I wouldn't necessarily call him objective about a lot of things, but I've never found his views to be coloured by his fanhood of Apple. He'll question Apple whenever he sees fit.

Besides, most of thousand and thousands (and thousands) of posts have been in PO and have nothing to do with Apple at all.
  • Reply 93 of 137
    If you were an Apple employee who had probably violated an NDA to contact the press as a whistleblower, would you want to be outed? The source is not anonymous... as the Bloomberg story clearly states, the source asked not to be identified. You can bet your asses that Peter Burrows and Connie Guglielmo confirmed the identity of the person making the allegations and confirmed that this person was in a position to know such information before they would go to press.

And apologies to the fanbois/apologists, but when every mainstream media outlet is reporting this stuff as truth, and even Chuck Schumer (D-NY) is issuing statements calling for Apple to provide a substantive fix to the problem, this IS a legitimate issue.
  • Reply 94 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Ok Apologists, line up to take your turn at discrediting the source.

Ha.. you said it pal.

I want these reports to come to light everyday until iPhone 5 comes around just to give these Steve Jobs suck offs a heart attack.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stst0001 View Post

Obviously you see no relevance then to the Thread about the Antenna Engineer then?

Where is that "substantiated".100%? Yet it is surely true. Granted the circumstance somewhat gray as is life.

The previous engineer did what he could to get the camera to work given the Industrial Design was not to change - no matter what. The new engineer having the benefit of the previous work and the skills easily discerned the problem. Yet was to green to know that he was not giving them the answer they wanted.

Now lets look at the "receive signal strength" bull. We were "shocked" to find our algorithm was totally wrong. Really - gee - really. But doesn't the Transceiver which is an OEM component report the RSSI measurements? I think the Transceiver is from Infineon. But Apple said "their" algorithm for calculating the signal strength was wrong not anything with the measurement reports themselves. Now lets see 3GPP standards like TS27.007 and others...hmm...received signal strength indication values are documented. So what is this magical algorithm? a Range checker?

yes, believe me, I acknowledge there are problems. That doesn't mean any of the extraneous assertions you have made are true. Anymore than me saying I know for a fact that everything you posted is bullshit. Or how about I say it is a fact that Jobs fired the entire RF engineering team at Ives request, after Ives took offense to Caballero criticizing his design. Titillating, perhaps, but far from factual or supported.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stst0001 View Post

Oh well I will let developers and highly skilled engineers like yourself carry on this emotional thread. Last post. Least I be hunted down and persecuted.

not an engineer. I am a developer. But, I work in an engineering environment and have many acquaintances that are engineers at tech firms. Means nothing. But then, neither did you claims that only people in such an environment would understand your position.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Ok, so Steve shows the original iPhone 4 held with poor reception ?

Then takes the same iPhone 4, up-dates the software, and shows plenty of reception ? or

Steve eats crow, apologizes to the masses, and provide FREE cover ? or

Says they are working on a fix, and should have something within the next 2 weeks. For the next 2 weeks them both basters over-seas work around the clock, making NEW phone to gave everyone ?

or

They work around the clock, making a whole new antenna system and Apple replaces the current one, with the new one, and the iPhone now gets the BEST reception, of ANY cell phone on the market ? Apple is the hero?

Tomorrow will be an interesting day if the "Times & Life of Steve Jobs & Apple".
  • Reply 97 of 137
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

Ha.. you said it pal.

I want these reports to come to light everyday until iPhone 5 comes around just to give these Steve Jobs suck offs a heart attack.

lol you are probably one of those one hit wonders who creates an account, use it to troll for a few days and create another one.

But anyways....

There is a reason why none of those reviewers ever notice a problem with the antenna before launch. Because if you use it normally, under most situation no one will notice a thing.

also you can't discredit an anonymous source, anonymous doesn't have any credit to begin with.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

....naive worship of a corporation's products?

It's not that Apple is perfect. They are surely not. It's just all the other manufacturers are so god awful!

I love Apples SW and hardware and try not to buy any tech stuff unless Apple makes it.

Reluctantly, bought a flat screen TV and detest it's clunky interface. And the same goes with my cable box...what a piece of crap.

Won't buy a GPS unit. I will make do with the iPhone, won't buy another point and shoot camera...will make do with the iPhone 4's new camera with flash. No video camera, use iPhone. And so on.

Best.
  • Reply 99 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

It's not that Apple is perfect. They are surely not. It's just all the other manufacturers are so god awful!

I love Apples SW and hardware and try not to buy any tech stuff unless Apple makes it.

Reluctantly, bought a flat screen TV and detest it's clunky interface. And the same goes with my cable box...what a piece of crap.

Won't buy a GPS unit. I will make do with the iPhone, won't buy another point and shoot camera...will make do with the iPhone 4's new camera with flash. No video camera, use iPhone. And so on.

Best.

Seriously? Apple is the only tech company that makes a good product?
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

lol you are probably one of those one hit wonders who creates an account, use it to troll for a few days and create another one.

But anyways....

There is a reason why none of those reviewers ever notice a problem with the antenna before launch. Because if you use it normally, under most situation no one will notice a thing.

also you can't discredit an anonymous source, anonymous doesn't have any credit to begin with.

Are you saying that anonymous sources in general have no credibility?