Apple has no plans for iPhone 4 recall - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

No recall is necessary. There are many methods available to update the antenna in-store that will prevent conductive items (e.g. fingers, metal, et al) from coming in contact with the metal of the antenna. There is no doubt that touching the antenna will detune it, but I also agree that this whole issue is blown WAY out of proportion.

Just upgraded my 3GS to 4.01 and I can Death Grip it and get exactly the same effect as many are reporting on the 4. Case rested.

The primary failure here is a failure of Apple's PR department to address the issue directly up to this point, making the company appear arrogant and uncaring -- not a good thing for a high-visibility, premium consumer products manufacturer...

I agree it's been blown out of proportion, but I'm glad it was. Apple's been getting a pretty big ego lately. And if the rumors that Steve Jobs' preference for this design overruled the concerns of his engineers are true, and even if they aren't, Apple needed to be brought down a peg or two, in my opinion. Time to take their lumps and get on with giving us the next great thing.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Stores (Apple, AT&T, BestBuy) just don't seem to have the phone in stock and when they do it's very small numbers and gone quickly. "Return it for a new one" doesn't make sense to me. Does everyone else have local stock but me? I'm in a large metropolitan area, plenty of Best Buy and AT&T stores, 2 Apple stores, there is no stock for exchange.

Duh! One will never know until they try. In any event, it may help to contact customer service and send it in. You'll be inconvenienced for a few days, but you'll probably get your problem solved.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Why? Do you understand how products are rated by CR? They gave the iPhone 4 the highest marks in everything but reception and the cumulative scores of those other parts put it at the top. Given the low marks on such an important PHONE component I'd say it was a no-brainer to deny the recommendation. Typically highest cumulative score wins out (as long as the item is priced reasonably, sometimes second-rated item gets the only recommended label) but what would have been lacking in credibility is if CR did recommend this iPhone despite their test results.

The fact that the iPhone was still at the top of the heap says more about the competition than anything else.

Sorry for the reality check that doesn't play into your hyperbole.

I could give a flying fuck over CR's recommendation personally. I believe in 2007, they trashed the original iPhone. So what? I bought it anyway and I bought a 3G and have had ZERO problems with both. I have a 4 and it's just as awesome.

So F CR. I could care less one way or the other.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I have had every model iPhone that has come out. The iPhone 4 has by far the best reception of any previous iPhone. There used to be spot on the highway that the previous iPhones would lose a call every time. It doesn't happen anymore.

Multiple publications have reported the reception of the iPhone 4 is better then previous models. The alleged problem isn't the general reception abilities of the phone. It is some strange people hold the phone funny by pressing hard on a less 1/4 square inch spot which then in a weak signal area makes the signal weaker and can sometimes cause a phone call to drop. These people are especially strange because they are a minority of users who don't use a case on an expensive phone. I mean really, who doesn't use a case. My brother's Droid Aris has the same issue except his is worst because it is on the bottom of the phone. Yet, he doesn't notice it because he uses a case.

Oddly enough I know five different people with the new iPhone, none of them are anything but happy. Face time rocks. If they weren't happy, they'd do as Apple suggests: return the phone. This is just a big feeding frenzy for no reason. Unhappy people aren't being injured by Apple as Apple offers a full refund.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I usually don't cuss on things like this, but I think this calls for it. ARE YOU THAT F#CK1N9 STUPID!?

Really? No problem at all with the phone. Then you come to where I am and explain why I could make calls (without dropping them) on all of my previous iPhones and not with my new iPhone 4. My bumper does fix the issue somewhat, but if the iPhone was supposed to have a "case" to let it work correctly, then it would have came from the factory with the bumper already wrapped around it.

Don't be a dumbass man. You may be one of the privy few that actually live in an area with stellar AT&T service so you aren't affected. But, it IS a design issue when none of the previous phones did it and now this one does. When a product gets worse in its 4th generation then there is a problem. Quit lying to yourself.

And don't get me started on the prox sensors. Muting people constantly isn't a hassle at all in your mind I bet.

• Reply 65 of 86
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Yes, but my friend you have 'blind mistrust' of corporations. I think your analysis of recent events might be suspect to such.

Not as familiar with MS, but Google is always on the wrong side of integrity issues, that's a function of their own corporate direction. I don't suspect malfeasance from most companies for example - Apple, Canon or Avid. I don't see any logical reason changing that opinion, even when they make things that I don't care for, can't afford or missing 'x' feature that 'I want'. I don't think many complainers can claim such emotional restraint in their technological endeavors.

Not blind mistrust, my friend, just agnosticism. I do not assume malfeasance, but I also do not assume innocence. As I said apple has treated me well and I give them the benefit of the doubt. However, the benefit is constrained by their behavior. In the end this may be much ado about nothing, bu they have not handled this well. The statement that they were shocked by the bars misrepresenting signal strength sounds much like the line frm Casanlanca regarding gambling, for example.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'm wondering what I should do about my proximity sensor. It's clearly a problem. I hear I may be able to take to an Apple store and have it exchanged.

it hasn't even been 30 days, you can return for a full refund
  • Reply 67 of 86
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Although Apple has called a press conference tomorrow to discuss well-documented problems with the iPhone 4's antenna and reception, a new report claims that a recall of the handset won't be among the announcements.

Citing a person familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple doesn't plan to instate a recall of the more than 2 million units it's shipped worldwide thus far.

Is Apple the new TOYOTA??? Dodging issues instead of facing them and showing leadership in solving quality issues?

In the end, reality will catch up with Apple, or Steve Jobs, and the cost as well as the damage to Apple will only be greater.

• Reply 68 of 86
    Quote:

Ain't gonna happen. Why would they do it within the 30 day cancelation time? People could still jump ship and head over to Verizon.

Plus, the way Verizon is bashing the new iPhone in adds and commercials (open your eyes people) they still aren't getting the iPhone.

Plus we already know that Apple and AT&T are tied together until 2011.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Not blind mistrust, my friend, just agnosticism. I do not assume malfeasance, but I also do not assume innocence. As I said apple has treated me well and I give them the benefit of the doubt. However, the benefit is constrained by their behavior. In the end this may be much ado about nothing, bu they have not handled this well. The statement that they were shocked by the bars misrepresenting signal strength sounds much like the line frm Casanlanca regarding gambling, for example.

You fool yourself, very weak intellectually. A predisposition to agnosticism is 'blind mistrust'. You say they've handled 'it' poorly, while not convinced it's a real issue? You've already pre-disposed yourself to negativity based on essentially online fluff. Then you describe how you've given them the benefit of the doubt, but constrained it because of some assumed negative behavior? So... you've given no benefit of the doubt, because you assume their behavior is negative? Do you practice these sorts of mental gymnastics with or without a net? Logic fail dude, thanks for playing. Troll along now.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Is Apple the new TOYOTA??? Dodging issues instead of facing them and showing leadership in solving quality issues?

In the end, reality will catch up with Apple, or Steve Jobs, and the cost as well as the damage to Apple will only be greater.

Apple has issued how many statements on this so far, inside what time frame?

Maybe you and Senator Chuck should take a ride together to discuss your tech issues?

He strikes me as quite the expert, but I think that helmet money was wasted on totally unnecessary insurance.

• Reply 71 of 86
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

That same person echoed an earlier report from Bloomberg in claiming that hardware engineers warned chief executive Steve Jobs about the risks of the phone's new external antenna design nearly a year ago, but that Jobs "liked the design so much that Apple went ahead with its development." [...]

Although Apple declined to comment on its development methods for the new iPhone, a company spokesperson fired back at Bloomberg's claim that a senior antenna expert had expressed his concern over the new design to Jobs, challenging the publication to "produce anything beyond rumors to back this up."

"It's simply not true," the spokesperson said.

The real question is:

Will Steve Jobs remember anything at all?

Steve Jobs has gone through a lot over the last year with a near death experience and a life saving last minute liver transplant. Steve Jobs could be excused if he doesn't recall anything so trivial as a design issue on an iPhone prototype. Really.

Now that he is back like his old self, it's time for Steve Jobs to show some leadership and recall the defective iPhones before the crisis escalates any further. Yes, there will be a cost to Apple, but the cost of denying the antenna issue promises to be even greater.

• Reply 72 of 86
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Schumer is a creepy politician, and there is zero reason for him to insert himself into this issue.

Now, we know that the Bloomberg story is bogus because obviously Apple did not have any antenna experts! OK, sorry that was too easy.

Schumer is a great guy ,

but i agree he is creepy this time .

• Reply 73 of 86
    Quote:

I usually don't cuss on things like this, but I think this calls for it. ARE YOU THAT F#CK1N9 STUPID!?

Really? No problem at all with the phone. Then you come to where I am and explain why I could make calls (without dropping them) on all of my previous iPhones and not with my new iPhone 4. My bumper does fix the issue somewhat, but if the iPhone was supposed to have a "case" to let it work correctly, then it would have came from the factory with the bumper already wrapped around it.

Don't be a dumbass man. You may be one of the privy few that actually live in an area with stellar AT&T service so you aren't affected. But, it IS a design issue when none of the previous phones did it and now this one does. When a product gets worse in its 4th generation then there is a problem. Quit lying to yourself.

And don't get me started on the prox sensors. Muting people constantly isn't a hassle at all in your mind I bet.

Did you go back and get it replaced with a unit that actually works where you are? Standard consumer procedure there - yes? At least it's what <I> do when a device doesn't function properly. Are you so wedded to the device that you will irrationally attack other commenters when they report not having issues? Or sit frozen in fury and refuse to do anything to resolve your issues? At the risk of being tedious - take it back and have it replaced. If the replacement device doesn't work - take it back and get a refund. Find another phone that will give you the receptivity you need.

Does any of this seem unreasonable to you? Note I didn't say you weren't having problems. I assume you are, and are having difficulty putting in motion the same behaviors that you would employ if your new car did not run well, your blender mixed instead of blended, your refrigerator warmed instead of cooled and your stove just chilled.

I have returned Apple products under such circumstances. And cars. And appliances. How is this any different?
  • Reply 74 of 86
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:

You fool yourself, very weak intellectually. A predisposition to agnosticism is 'blind mistrust'. You say they've handled 'it' poorly, while not convinced it's a real issue? You've already pre-disposed yourself to negativity based on essentially online fluff. Then you describe how you've given them the benefit of the doubt, but constrained it because of some assumed negative behavior? So... you've given no benefit of the doubt, because you assume their behavior is negative? Do you practice these sorts of mental gymnastics with or without a net? Logic fail dude, thanks for playing. Troll along now.

The absence of blind trust is not mistrust, as you seem to feel. There are no gymnastics here.

I give them the benefit of the doubt, because I do not think there is a huge issue here, nor do I assume that they have engaged in some sort of cover up etc. as many posters do. In this sense I do not see their behavior as negative.

I do think that they could of handled the PR aspect of it better (hence the statement of handling of it better). Reality (i.e., probably no big deal here) is often different than perception (i.e. there is a big deal here), and the handling of one, is often different than the other. As I said in response to jrgosta, I think if Apple had said something like "we have heard the comments, we are studying the issue, and will get back to you" the situation would have been different. I could be wrong, but I do not think so.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Second, can corporations be trusted. No, not really. If you are a working adult, I am not sure you could have lived through the last couple of years and still have blind trust in the goodness and altruism of corporations. This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories involving the Illumanti.

Maybe you can't trust corporations because you incorrectly assign social motives and responsibilities to them!

Have you ever heard of the profit motive?

Simply stated: Corporations are in business to make a profit at the risk of a loss!

Any other motives or responsibilities you (or anyone) chooses to assign to a corporation are gratuitous!

Corporations can opt to assume social responsibilities-- but it is profit that makes that possible.

Juxtaposing an old saw: "doing good by doing well".

Without profit, the corporation ceases to exist!

As to Apple: One of Apple's most precious resources is its large and loyal customer base. It is in Apple's best interest to satisfy and support this base-- as well as to release attractive new products/services that appeal to them.

Corporations must be careful in what they say and how they say it-- I offer the last 2 weeks feeding frenzy as proof.

A savvy person will realize that every public statement a corporation makes is in their (the corporation's) self-interest! And, underlying that is the profit motive!

Corporations will [almost] always try to put the best "spin" on problem issues-- not to do so would be a disservice to their investors, employees, and to their customers.

However, when directly confronted on a specific issue, the corporate spokesman needs to tell the truth, or decline to comment*

* At times there are extenuating circumstances-- legal, national security, etc. where "no comment" is appropriate.

To sum up. I understand why Apple is in business! I understand their motivation. I appreciate how they must deal with the public to handle real and perceived problems. I have a vested interested in Apple's success

If Apple lies to me on an important specific issues, then I will look elsewhere to buy my products and invest my dollars. (my self interest)

When you think about it, that attitude, likely, is in concert with the attitudes of Steve Jobs, the Apple executive team and Apple employees.

• Reply 76 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

They've done that in the past. Same result.

With a legit issue or concern. But for a moment imagine that the issue is ridiculous, petty or total bullshit. Better to identify the clowns early on than validate their opinion.

Apple has already addressed the issue in a press release. Why are you so sensitive about what some idiot's email exchange Steve Jobs? How do you know who this guy is? If you're going to distrust one, why not the other? Camaraderie? I doubt the iPhone whiners will do anything to help you if there's a problem. Uncle Steve at his crankiest is going to give you treats and fix your stuff way before any online whiner. I say you're loyalties might be outta-wack bro.

In addition: I'd really like to see iOS4 on my iPad, I think Apple has better priorities than feeding attention to rumor-mongering troll & retards on summer break.

Oye! Oye! on your last point. Especially, from a developer's standpoint, it is a PITA to incorporate iOS 3.2 in your workflow.

You are making some sane, considered posts in a supercharged atmosphere! While I don't agree with everything you say, I enjoy the occasional snippets of mature discussion (in this thread), to which you contribute.

Actually, this particular thread has fewer "over the top/under the bottom" posts than most recent threads related to iP4 problems.

• Reply 77 of 86
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mka View Post

I Just hope they tell us when the White iphone 4 is coming out like next week hopefully.

Yes, I'm waiting for whitey too.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Lemme guess:

"A small batch may possibly have manufacturing issues. Phones with reception issues will be handled on a case-by-case basis with either repair or replacement at Apple's discretion. Those who are unsatisfied with their phones may return them before the 30-day window closes. After that, no refunds.

This is the ideal response from Jobs! I totally agree this should be what we hear today. I have the issues. After installing 4.0.1 yesterday the death grip effect happens even faster now!

However I am encouraged that some have had their iPhone replaced and the new until does not have the issues.

That's all I want to happen...otherwise it's an awesome device!
  • Reply 79 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Saying this overblown problem is "well documented" is a crime against intelligence.

If you don't have the problem great. But don't claim it's "overblown". If you were having the issues like me and thousands of others you wouldn't be so terse.

If you don't have the problem, stay off this thread!
  • Reply 80 of 86
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Unlike most other companies, Apple does do its best to take care of its customers. They have certainly treated me well when issues have arisen. I'm patiently waiting for what Apple has to say and what their plan is.

Apple-Haters will always find some pathetic excuse to smack Apple since Apple's computing direction directly conflicts with their way of life. Sad.

Until then, I will happily continue using my iP4. It does exhibit the same death-grip issues but it is barely an annoyance since I use a case anyways and when not, a simple hand movement of 1cm resolves that.

I had an old Motorola phone with similar issues but folks never whined about that. People accept so many deficiencies with all the junk phones out there yet they hold Apple to the level of unobtainable perfection. Nothing is perfect in this world.

What about those of us who have been (and remain) loyal Apple fans for decades, yet are very unhappy about the way Apple has handled this issue?

I have the ip4 and love it. It is in a case, so I don't deal with the reception issue, however if I take it out of the case and even lightly touch the gap, my signal is gone.

There is certainly an issue, and while I am not upset that glitches and bugs happen, I am upset at Apple's utter lack of a quality response to this thus far. I am hoping they will rectify that today, but I am afraid it'll just be more excuses, shifted blame and garbage. Here's hoping I'm wrong.