Apple's updated Mac Pro, iMac rumored to have USB 3.0, faster FireWire

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple will update its Mac Pro desktop at the end of this summer, and its all-in-one iMac a few weeks later, adding both USB 3.0 and faster FireWire connectivity to the machines, a new rumor states.

French Mac website Hardmac reported Friday that Apple aims to update the desktops in time for its back to school sales period. The report cited one of the site's "better sources" in relaying the information.

"On this occasion, Apple should inaugurate two great innovations, the arrival of USB 3.0 and a faster FireWire interface, 1600 or 3200," they wrote. "Thus, FireWire will not be forgotten. Note that Apple is also interested in LightPeak technology, but they do not expect to use it or set it up before one year."

Finally, the report also said that the new hardware will not support Blu-ray discs. That news should come as no surprise to those who have heard Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs' assessment of the format. Jobs was recently alleged to have said that the physical medium's days are dying, and will give way to digital download services like iTunes.

The USB 3.0 specification was in Apple's hands over a year ago. The new standard will be ten times faster than the current Hi-Speed USB standard (USB 2.0), and also more power-efficient, leading to lower active and idle power requirements. Like its predecessor, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices.

Rumors of a new Mac Pro have persisted for all of 2009, with Apple expected to adopt Intel's Gulftown processor, the 32nm Core i7-980X with six cores. The chips have 12MB of L3 cache. Apple usually doubles the processors in its high-end professional workstations, so it's possible the new Mac Pro system could have a total of 12 cores and 24 threads.

The last major refresh to the Mac Pro equipped it with its Nehalem Xeon processors, with a high-end eight-core Mac Pro offering two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 chips. Last year, Apple quietly upgraded that to a potential maximum 2.93GHz eight-core system.

Last October, Apple updated its iMac desktop line, redesigning the hardware with a new edge-to-edge glass design and seamless all-aluminum enclosure. The LED-backlit iMacs come in screen sizes of 21.5 inches and 27 inches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    A friend of mine, has been waiting for this update all year. He needed a new Mac Pro to run SL server on for his office. I told him "just wait the new 6 core version is coming out soon" but months later its still vapor. He got tired of waiting and his new Mac Pro arrived yesterday.

I am sure it will eventually come out, and saying end of summer is kind of funny after reading many times here that is would be sooner.

Apple used to be first to market with new CPU's and such and the Mac Pro was the one that usually did it. I guess its just another sign that iOS is Apple and the Mac is being slowly left out of the loop.
  • Reply 2 of 108
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Yay!! Another underpowered and overpriced update are on their way...
  • Reply 3 of 108
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Apple used to be first to market with new CPU's and such and the Mac Pro was the one that usually did it. I guess its just another sign that iOS is Apple and the Mac is being slowly left out of the loop.

Sadly...this is so true. I always thought the iPods and iPhones were supposed to be a gateway drug to bring users into the Mac fold. Now, I think they're slowly becoming a gadget company instead of a computer company.
  • Reply 4 of 108
    Hopefully the new iMac will give me enough justification to upgrade my C2D. But, it's going to take more than USB 3.0 to get me excited. What about eSATA that I have on several of my external HDs?

Personally, I would love to see the following:

1. Blu-ray (as a storage option, not for watching movies)

2. Two internal HDs optionally configured as a Raid 1 in the 27" model. There has to be enough space in the case and an internal Raid would be a great. The iMac would automatically boot from the mirrored HD in the event of the primary drive failing and alert the user to take their Mac into the Apple Store to replace the failed HD.

3. Ambient backlit keyboard like those on the MacBook Pro.

4. Perhaps lose the white on the mouse and keyboard, which feels a bit out of place on an aluminum and black machine.

5. Optional multi-touch input device to be used in conjunction or as a replacement for the Magic Mouse.

6. Not really iMac specific, but could Apple PLEASE begin updating software between versions of OS X? With the time between OSes increasing, I don't see how Apple can hold off on upgrades to key software such as Mail. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO STRUGGLE USING WIDEMAIL OR LETTERBOX FOR WIDESCREEN MAIL PREVIEWS WHEN MOBILEME AND THE IPAD ALREADY HAVE THAT FEATURE!
  • Reply 5 of 108
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    how about a wireless keyboard that has a numeric keypad....

nothing like working on a spreadsheet with a laptop sized keyboard.
  • Reply 6 of 108
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Two things prevent me from buying a new iMac. One is the lack of USB 3, and the other is the lack of blu-ray.

Looks like my Win 7 box won't be replaced anytime soon then.
  • Reply 7 of 108
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Sadly...this is so true. I always thought the iPods and iPhones were supposed to be a gateway drug to bring users into the Mac fold. Now, I think they're slowly becoming a gadget company instead of a computer company.

No surprise here. It is years since they dropped the "computer" from the company name (which was Apple Computer Inc.).
  • Reply 8 of 108
    Glad I checked the site out as I was just about to get an iMac!

Faster Firewire and USB 3.0 is enough to get my wallet out at the moment. Lack of blu-ray's not such a deal breaker now, as if they aren't going to put it in without a r-vamped iDVD.Blu-ray I might as well just stick with third-party options.

The Firewire is best for my editing needs and shows a glimmer of hope that Apple haven't entirely abandoned the pro-sumer market, even if the do prefer to sell mobile phones these days.
  • Reply 9 of 108
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

Glad I checked the site out as I was just about to get an iMac!

Faster Firewire and USB 3.0 is enough to get my wallet out at the moment. Lack of blu-ray's not such a deal breaker now, as if they aren't going to put it in without a r-vamped iDVD.Blu-ray I might as well just stick with third-party options.

The Firewire is best for my editing needs and shows a glimmer of hope that Apple haven't entirely abandoned the pro-sumer market, even if the do prefer to sell mobile phones these days.

I Shopped in 4 local <<10036 and 10310 zip codes>> Best Buys for a Fire Wire 800 1tb or 2tb drives . 2 YRS ago i found them . Now they all but are gone and people who work there look at I am like i am nuts. Apple stores sell them at such a high price .

I move 400 g of movie data back and forth all the time . FIRE WIRE 800 blazes thru ,

usb 2 is so f--ing slow .

what is light speak ??

peace and thank god no one is talking about you know what !!!

best buy sells macs ?? so why not sell mac users drives ???

duh

nine
  • Reply 10 of 108
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I don't understand why Apple doesn't do a basic hardware refresh every 6 months for their desktops, they wouldn't have to redesign the asphetics at all.

The current generation of Mac Pro's are now a joke and Apple should be ashamed to still be trying to sell them, even the iMacs are really starting to show their age (internally I mean).
  • Reply 11 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Apple stores sell them at such a high price.

Check Amazon for external HDs. I currently have two LaCie Quadra HDs (Firewire 400, 800, USB 2.0 and eSATA) that I am very happy with. Also, I'm using a G-Drive Mini as a portable HD (Firewire 400, 800 and USB 2.0) that I love.
  • Reply 12 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

You have to love the trolls.

There's no idea of what the specs will be, how it will perform, nor what it will cost - just a rumor that there will be an update soon (big surprise there). Yet the trolls are already running around claiming that it's overpriced and underpowered. Amazing.
  • Reply 13 of 108
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Urrrrr, the iMac and the Mac Pro are known to be the cheapest and most powerful computers of their respective lines.

Especially the 27" iMac...

...it rocks...
  • Reply 14 of 108
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I would love faster ports. When I backup my home folder to a USB hd it takes a good 4 hours. Syncing my iPad also takes ages if there are movies.
  • Reply 15 of 108
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacinScott View Post

1. Blu-ray (as a storage option, not for watching movies)

5. Optional multi-touch input device to be used in conjunction or as a replacement for the Magic Mouse.

apple needs to finally support blu-Ray. It's bullshit not to .... Sorry you can add another BD drive for storage already

Give us blu-Ray already. This is blatant protectionism and monopoly for iTunes
  • Reply 16 of 108
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You have to love the trolls.

There's no idea of what the specs will be, how it will perform, nor what it will cost - just a rumor that there will be an update soon (big surprise there). Yet the trolls are already running around claiming that it's overpriced and underpowered. Amazing.

Hardly a troll. I have been using Apple computers since my II GS in 1989... I just don't kiss Apple's ass over everything they release (or about to release).

According to MacRumor's buyer's guide, the current MacPro is over 500 days old without an update. That is pathetic. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 17 of 108
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:

I Shopped in 4 local <<10036 and 10310 zip codes>> Best Buys for a Fire Wire 800 1tb or 2tb drives . 2 YRS ago i found them . Now they all but are gone and people who work there look at I am like i am nuts. Apple stores sell them at such a high price .

If you're shopping for this kind of thing at Best Buy, well, you have a good deal to learn about being an effective buyer. See there's this thing called the internet, with all kinds of vendors and stuff...

Since you claim to live in the methane seas of Neptune, perhaps UPS doesn't deliver there?
  • Reply 18 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

If you're shopping for this kind of thing at Best Buy, well, you have a good deal to learn about being an effective buyer. See there's this thing called the internet, with all kinds of vendors and stuff...

Since you claim to live in the methane seas of Neptune, perhaps UPS doesn't deliver there?

Well, if you live in the US then you can easily buy reasonably cheap from online shops. But in other parts of the world you may prefer local stores than the US-based internet ones for this kind of purchase, because of taxes (for example 21-25% VAT in Europe) and shipping cost.
  • Reply 19 of 108
    Quote:

According to MacRumor's buyer's guide, the current MacPro is over 500 days old without an update. That is pathetic. Plain and simple.

So true. \ Apparently, Apple has other priorities these days.
  • Reply 20 of 108
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

I move 400 g of movie data back and forth all the time . FIRE WIRE 800 blazes thru ,

usb 2 is so f--ing slow .

what is light speak ??

peace and thank god no one is talking about you know what !!!

best buy sells macs ?? so why not sell mac users drives ???

duh

nine

Try Newegg or OWC for Firewire drives.