Advice on switching to a MacBook Pro?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all...

I'm a 20+ year desktop PC user, and I'm looking to take the plunge into a LapTop, and got the chance to use a MacBook pro for a few weeks. I like it a lot.

I'd like to game a bit, in addition to all the other awesome Mac stuff there is to play with...I've also been looking at high-end PC gaming laptops from Sager, and I'd prob. spend about the same amount of money on that as a 17-inch i5 MacBook. Here, it seems I could boot into a Windows 7 environment with boot camp, but also reap the advantage to using the Mac side for most things, and be able to play some games from time to time.

Is this a reasonable train of thought?

I really appreciate your comments. I really don't know a whole lot mac-wise, but the more I see, the more I really would like to

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Do it, Vig!

In 3 months you will slap your forehead, cursing yourself for not doing it 10 years ago.

Got an external harddisk to store your Time Machine backups on?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Do it, Vig!

In 3 months you will slap your forehead, cursing yourself for not doing it 10 years ago.

Got an external harddisk to store your Time Machine backups on?

Appreciate the support, R.S. I have a feeling you're right. I think it's time to do it!

So, of course the question now: As I'm re-siding and getting new windows in the house ($24K), do I add another $3K to the price? Of COURSE I do.....

Thanks again.

Vig.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Might feel a little weird in the beginning but once you get used to it, you will never turn back!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jim1405 View Post

Might feel a little weird in the beginning but once you get used to it, you will never turn back!

Maybe, maybe not. After over 2 years with my iMac, I plan to turn back. Bad eyesight is one reason. Games than don't work with Mac, and never will, is another. Mac OS is nice, but I need more hardware options. It may feel more than just a little weird too, until you stop trying to figure out how to do things the Windows way.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Maybe, maybe not. After over 2 years with my iMac, I plan to turn back. Bad eyesight is one reason. Games than don't work with Mac, and never will, is another. Mac OS is nice, but I need more hardware options. It may feel more than just a little weird too, until you stop trying to figure out how to do things the Windows way.

Can you expand on the bad eyesight comment? In what way is Windows better than Mac in this regard? Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

So in 2 years of using an iMac it still hasn't dawned on you that you can run Windows, and all Windows software, natively on your iMac? Even side-by-side on-screen, and simultaneously. Try that on a Windows box!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Can you expand on the bad eyesight comment? In what way is Windows better than Mac in this regard? Thanks.

If the original poster can see the MacBook Pro fine, then it doesn't really matter. I could not use any MacBook. Fonts are too small. My weak vision is more of a birth defect than anything else, but I am not the only one on earth with things like Nystagmus. "Look Up In Dictionary" will tell you exactly what Nystagmus is. I am not alone, many people cannot see the high resolution on the new 27 inch iMac. Mine is a 20 inch.

None of the tools available in Mac or Windows are all that helpful. My vision is blurry. Windows does allow for altering the DPI. It is even easier to do in Windows 7. I can see Windows better running the DPI at 125%. For some reason, at least for myself, Windows just looks better. I cannot wait to see if Resolution Independence will help me.

This forum is the worst. I struggle to use it. Contrast is low, and fonts are tiny.

Biggest thing for me is not being able to do things on a Mac that can be done with Windows. The new mini is the only Mac I could consider. While RAM is now accessible, nothing else is. Not for me anyway. My brother could fix a PC for me, but he'd never consider messing with the mini. We could start the argument again that Apple doesn't want to ever make an affordable tower, but I'm not going to. HA!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Contrast is low, and fonts are tiny.

It looks like, after 2 years of iMac use, you still don't know the basics: on an iMac hit 'Command' and '+' as often as you need to increase the font size to any size you need (and 'Command' and '–' to decrease). On a MacBook (Pro/Air) you can zoom in (and out) with the Control key and a two-fingered slide across the touchpad.

And in System Preferences/Universal access you can set all manner of aids for visually or auditorily challenged people. Including contrast.

If you never even tried to properly set up that iMac for you then it's no wonder it doesn't work, for you!

Maybe it's time to stop whining, and start paying attention, WPLJ, because there's nothing wrong with that iMac. This is a typical case of "user error", to put it euphemistically.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

It looks like, after 2 years of iMac use, you still don't know the basics: on an iMac hit 'Command' and '+' as often as you need to increase the font size to any size you need (and 'Command' and '?' to decrease). On a MacBook (Pro/Air) you can zoom in (and out) with the Control key and a two-fingered slide across the touchpad.

And in System Preferences/Universal access you can set all manner of aids for visually or auditorily challenged people. Including contrast.

If you never even tried to properly set up that iMac for you then it's no wonder it doesn't work, for you!

Maybe it's time to stop whining, and start paying attention, WPLJ, because there's nothing wrong with that iMac. This is a typical case of "user error", to put it euphemistically.

Unless you have my eyesight, don't start with me! I am familiar with every single 'effing' feature available in Universal Access. I never said anything was wrong with the Mac, did I? My eyesight is blurry. All of the options, and I probably know the Mac and Windows stuff better than you, make things even more blurry. Did you look up Nystagmus?

Really, don't even start with me! This is a senseless battle you can't win.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Really, don't even start with me! This is a senseless battle you can't win.

So you think you're in a 'battle' with me, eh?

A typical case of projection.

I've got news for you, WPLJ: your 'battle' is not with me, nor even with your iMac, but with yourself...

Good luck.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

So you think you're in a 'battle' with me, eh?

A typical case of projection.

I've got news for you, WPLJ: your 'battle' is not with me, nor even with your iMac, but with yourself...

Good luck.

I am not in a battle with myself. It is only too common for boneheads like yourself, who are clueless, to launch an attack on people who are different. My eyesight started off bad, and only grew worse. I am nearly 53, and deal with my eyesight as best I can.

Read about Glenn Beck ... it could happen to anyone. Someday you eyesight will turn to mush, and I would not be abusive. The worst disability of all is the one you have ... ignorance.

As for the OP, if he has the bucks, go for it. Just remember, it is a Windows world, and BootCamp is not without issues of its own. After 20+ years, I would be interested in knowing why the switch. Mac OS is okay, but Windows 7 is too. Keeping your protective software up to date is not such a big deal.

Games were mentioned, and the Mac falls short, very short, in the game category. If the Mac is so good, why don't more people have them???