Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 286
    rsmrsm Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

Your still in denial?? After Apple even admitted it? Come on now, multiple reviews have tested it an confirmed it. Many people I know have experienced the problem.

The fact is that Apple had a design constraint, the thinness, and had to engineer around that, resulting in risky antenna placement. Reports show that experts at Apple were very opposed to the idea, any other company would of ditched it and made the phone thicker. Steve took the risk, and now the phone is thinner.

This "flaw" is on every iphone, but depending on how you use it, you may notice it or not. People who value close to 100% reliability on their phones were disappointed by the service, and felt misled. Apple has corrected the issue by offering free returns.

However I'm willing to bet more people would just prefer the phone being thinner than having a dropped call here an then, who cares right. Well the iPhone is just not for business purposes, and other things that demand reliability out of a phone. One phone can't suit all, but for the vast majority who could care less about the occasional dropped call the iPhone's form factor is the best on the market right now.

My friends who use iPhone believe dropped calls are a "Fact of life" for all phones, and are fine with their iPhone 4 with a bumper. However I never, ever have dropped calls on Verizon, even the occasional dropped call on the iPhone 4 is simply a deal breaker for people like me, and I am disappointed that I'll have to buy something else. Realize that different people might have different needs than you do.

Trolls still out in force I see.
  • Reply 42 of 286
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Wait a second. "People who still think something is going on here"? There are people with a genuine issue with their phone. The free case is Apple's solution. The issue has been documented numerous times with video so people can see for themselves what's happening...

No.

The "problem" has always been that people are making a big deal out of something that is no different from any other phone. The "problem" is primarily one of perception and feeling.

The solution that Apple has suggested (and stuck to!), is that you should be careful how you hold your phone when you are in a low signal area.

The cases are only to mollify people who live in a poor signal area, still want to have an iPhone 4, and refuse to hold it any other way than the way they currently like to hold it. They are a fix for the perception/entitlement problem and partially due to the law suit, they aren't a fix for the antenna problem because there isn't an antenna "problem."

All antennas behave in the same way, therefore it's incorrect to call it an antenna problem or say that the iPHone 4 has a problematic antenna. It's just an antenna, pretty much like any other.
  • Reply 43 of 286
    imoiimoi Posts: 15member
    I would have tought that with these spaced-out futuristic state of the art labs, Apple would have got something better than a rubber band to hold the iPhone for testing.

\
  • Reply 44 of 286
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No.

The "problem" has always been that people are making a big deal out of something that is no different from any other phone. The "problem" is primarily one of perception and feeling.

No different then any other phone. Oh, you mean Apple's spinning claim. Lol. Tell me how many phones you know lose over 20 decibels of reception from just touching one small spot with a fingertip ? And this spot is in a place many people naturally hold a phone.
  • Reply 45 of 286
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

No different then any other phone. Oh, you mean Apple's spinning claim. Lol. Tell me how many phones you know lose over 20 decibels of reception from just touching one small spot with a fingertip ? And this spot is in a place many people naturally hold a phone.

Try to stick to the facts while you are spinning your conspiracy theory at least. the 20db figure that Consumer Reports came out with was debunked a long time ago. It's more like 6db-13db and yes, every phone does it.
  • Reply 46 of 286
    Quote:

Try to stick to the facts while you are spinning your conspiracy theory at least. the 20db figure that Consumer Reports came out with was debunked a long time ago. It's more like 6db-13db and yes, every phone does it.

Uhh, the 20db loss was also from AnandTech's tests too. Where those debunked also ?
  • Reply 47 of 286
    Quote:

All antennas behave in the same way, therefore it's incorrect to call it an antenna problem or say that the iPHone 4 has a problematic antenna. It's just an antenna, pretty much like any other.

You have got to be kidding . . . that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read here, and I've read plenty of them.

Your devotion to Apple has clearly gotten the better of you, especially if you believe what you wrote.
  • Reply 48 of 286
    Quote:

Source?
  • Reply 49 of 286
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

No.

The solution that Apple has suggested (and stuck to!), is that you should be careful how you hold your phone when you are in a low signal area.

The cases are only to mollify people who live in a poor signal area, still want to have an iPhone 4, and refuse to hold it any other way than the way they currently like to hold it. They are a fix for the perception/entitlement problem and partially due to the law suit, they aren't a fix for the antenna problem because there isn't an antenna "problem."

Your whole point is based off whether other phones suffer from the same issue though, and I can tell you, I never even knew this sort of thing happened until it was brought to light by how aggressive the issue is on the new iPhone.

After reading them say it happens on all phones, I did confirm that when I wrap my hands around my friend's touch pro and squeeze, the bars go down, but it was never as exaggerated as what has been shown in the videos posted by people w an ip4. I'm talking one bar in difference (but noticeably repeatable.)

I don't own the phones he mentions, so I can't comment on the validity of the statement, but it's a little odd that if those phones also had this issue that I didn't hear about it at all before ip4 (and I do frequent a couple of the most popular PPC websites on the internet.)

So again, you're going too far to one side of this argument instead of keeping a rational stance. I'm willing to accept the issue may be present in "all phones" but definitely not to the degree described here.

The whole argument can be wrapped up in a single sentence: If you have this issue and a case isn't good enough, return it before 30 days, otherwise you can't complain because it's now known Apple won't replace it, or change the way it's made.
  • Reply 50 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Uhh, the 20db loss was also from AnandTech's tests too. Where those debunked also ?

Oh, and yet another reliable source showing the massive data speed losses.

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...athinator.html
  • Reply 51 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

4. Consumer Reports said that the iPhone 4 was the best phone out there except for the alleged reception problems and they couldn't recommend it unless Apple offered a free solution. Apple has done so - where is your recommendation, CR? So much for 'fair and unbiased"

Really? Really? Because CR hasn't issued a recommendation for the iPhone 4, what, less then half an hour after the news conference ended? C'mon, you've got to admit that was a major stretch.
  • Reply 52 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Really? Really? Because CR hasn't issued a recommendation for the iPhone 4, what, less then half an hour after the news conference ended? C'mon, you've got to admit that was a major stretch.

He won't admit it. He's genuinely concerned about the issue to the point where things like this don't process the same.

It's all good, we all do it in some form or another. Whether it comes to politics, girls, religion, buying a house, you name it. People will always allow their thoughts to lean towards the direction that makes them feel better.

I almost bought a house with a cracked foundation. I kept telling myself it would be worth it to pay and have it fixed, but in the end, my Dad needed to step in and show me how silly I sounded.
  • Reply 53 of 286
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Out of curiosity I just checked my old Nokia non-smart phone from 4 years ago, and it goes from 4 bars to 2 bars instantly. Neat. 4 years and I never noticed, because I don't hold my phone completely around the edges.
  • Reply 54 of 286
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

It might be unreasonable to expect a response so quickly - except that they were so quick to post their attacks on Apple. If they can post their negative stuff in a matter of minutes, they should expect to post their retractions at least as fast.
  • Reply 55 of 286
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

You aren't good at logic are you?

The "problem" that caused them to give away the bumpers is their customers weren't going to be satisfied with anything less. That customer service "problem" has no bearing at all on whether or not there is a hardware problem.

I wish the people who still think something is going on here would either shut the hell up or make a single logical argument that blows away all the stuff we just heard from Apple. There was some (typically Apple), slanting of the data but only a bit and the conclusion is inescapable nonetheless.

As far as I can see the conference was a slam dunk and the facts of the matter are rather unassailable. I say, come up with proof that Apple is lying or STFU. Hypotheticals about their possible motivations (as you imagine them to be), don't count.

The conference if far from a slam dunk because the only press Apple is getting on the iPhone at this point is negative press. I am very good with logic.
  • Reply 56 of 286
    Quote:

It might be unreasonable to expect a response so quickly - except that they were so quick to post their attacks on Apple. If they can post their negative stuff in a matter of minutes, they should expect to post their retractions at least as fast.

LOL. It took them weeks to attack Apple, not minutes. Try again. lol
  • Reply 57 of 286
    Quote:

The consumer reports article came out July 12, 2010. The iPhone4 came out June 24, 2010.

I could probably post your own comments and get you to argue with yourself you know... You want them to be just as "quick" as before, but also they're being too slow.
  • Reply 58 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Out of curiosity I just checked my old Nokia non-smart phone from 4 years ago, and it goes from 4 bars to 2 bars instantly. Neat. 4 years and I never noticed, because I don't hold my phone completely around the edges.

I can confirm if the touch pro 2 does it, it's not enough to make the bars change at all.
  • Reply 59 of 286
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Apple, you're out of your minds after having worked your butts off! Speak about your products. Only yours!

I disagree. Jobs clearly showed the problem exists and that it exists for all smartphones. He then gave a demonstration to show this.

This whole thing has been blown so far out of proportion that it's ridiculous.
  • Reply 60 of 286
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    1 and 2. You didn't have the data before today to back up your claims either. And yet you continued to defend the iPhone 4 with information that you did not have.

3. There is a problem. Jobs admitted as much. It is just endemic to all smart phones. That is where the bumper comes in, as this seems to alleviate some of the problem.

4. The press conference was only a few hours ago. You gave Apple 22 days. Do you want to give CR a little time to respond before you start your attack?

5. There was exaggeration, and it is easy to get clicks if you put "Apple" in your headline. The biggest issue (as Jobs said) was that people in low/weak signal areas are much more likely to notice the problem. As I have said before, Apple needs to move to another carrier besides just AT&T. There is some evidence that they are testing with Verizon equipment on the Cupertino campus. The sooner that happens, the better.

Quote:

First!

Now, we can recap what we've learned from this:

1. All the analysts who chimed in on this don't know anything and can safely be ignored in the future.

2. In spite of hard data that the iPhone 4 is a great phone, the press managed to blow this up into a huge fiasco. Beware of sensationalistic junk you read in the press.

3. In spite of significant data that there's no problem, Apple once again stepped up with an extra to try to make customers happy. And then got criticized by the whiners...

4. Consumer Reports said that the iPhone 4 was the best phone out there except for the alleged reception problems and they couldn't recommend it unless Apple offered a free solution. Apple has done so - where is your recommendation, CR? So much for 'fair and unbiased"

5. All the reports of 'massive' 'universal' problems were grossly exaggerated. Do not believe that kind of hype.