Apple's US Mac sales grow 11% in June, forecasting strong quarter

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
U.S. Mac sales increased again in June, the third month of Apple's fiscal quarter, growing 11 percent and foreshadowing an announcement of strong sales in Apple's earnings report Tuesday.

The NPD Group on Monday released its domestic Mac sales estimates for the month of June, which showed year-over-year growth for all three months of the June quarter. Analyst Gene Munster said that likely puts Apple on track to announce sales of between 3.1 million and 3.2 million in its quarterly earnings report Tuesday.

Mac sales were up a strong 35 percent stateside in May, following the introduction of the iPad in both Wi-Fi and 3G models. Those sales figures have been interpreted to suggest that Apple's new portable multitouch device will not cannibalize Mac sales.

In addition, NPD estimates for April found that Mac sales were up 39 percent year over year.

If the estimates hold, they would mean that Apple is likely to exceed its Mac sales from last quarter, when the company sold 2.94 million machines to start 2010. Those sales from January through March were accomplished without a new product launch.

June quarter sales, however, will likely be bolstered by new product launches. Early last quarter, Apple launched new MacBook Pros, equipped with Intel's latest Core i7 and Core i5 processors in the high-end 15- and 17-inch models, as well as a refresh to the 13-inch MacBook Pro adding a Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics processor.

Then in May, the company also updated its low-end $999 MacBook, giving it, too, GeForce 320M graphics. And in June, the company redesigned its Mac mini, adding an HDMI port, a built-in SD Card slot, and giving it a unibody enclosure with a built-in power supply.

The latest NPD data for June also shows that iPod sales were down 10 percent year over year, leading to an estimate of between 9 million and 10 million iPod sales. Wall Street expects Apple to report about 9.5 million in Tuesday's earnings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    That appears to suggest 28% increase yty for the quarter which seems to be a very strong result.

The report should be an interesting one.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    I just want to see some new iMacs so I can boost the Chinese economy.

We are so ready to buy.

Just waiting and waiting.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I guess iPad is not cannibalizing too much on the mac sales. Good for apple.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I guess iPad is not cannibalizing too much on the mac sales. Good for apple.

We joke about UPS and FedEx delivering more AS (Apple shit).

Yes, the wife and I are fanboys.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    I don't think that word means what you think it means
  • Reply 6 of 13
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i bought a new Mac Mini in July. maybe the 3rd quarter will be good too.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sinceresincere Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

Yes I just got a new mac mini server too
  • Reply 8 of 13
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    i was ready for all the stupid apple cracks here today

but i am happy to report that all above have been haapy apple campers

you all have won free gifts !!!

i sometimes reflect after good news like this, look back at

3 lost apple products

the cube ..which is the mini ..still the cube was coolness unleashed and sadly a few hairline cracks sent people to the nut ward..

the fat nano ... hmmm well it seemed better at video playback size wise than the latest nano ..

apple sadly needed to make a change for change sake .but when the nano phone is birthed , i hope its in a fat nano from factor ..

and way back when apple had a portable 13 lb laptop that inserted into a larger computer , i have only seen this on those remember old apple lisa1 type shows ..

apple was so far ahead of its time and way back then apple had like 30 models out there including a laser printer to boot .. but i would love to un hinge my MBP screen and have a ipad tpo subway ride with..

any way good news for apple >>sales are up ..way up !!!

congrads

• Reply 9 of 13
    Thats very good for Apple, but I hope they tell more about the next OSX.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrick159 View Post

Apple does not discuss new products in their quarterly conference calls with financial analysts.

To do so might be interpreted as manipulating the stock price, so most companies avoid such behavior, lest they get sued by disgruntled shareholders.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrick159 View Post

Don't hold your breath. This is an earnings report. Nothing more....Seriously doubt they'll talk about upcoming software..
  • Reply 12 of 13
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

I just bought a new Macbook Pro Core i7 15" so doing my part for next quarter......
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Even better than the earlier prediction. That's a stellar result for the Mac, especially as the overall market 'only' managed 22%. Another couple of quarters like that should pay off in a measurable increase in market share, with the attendant bragging rights and increased exposure.

So well done Apple and particularly the Mac team. Great result.