Apple third fiscal quarter 2010 earnings preview

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

The sell-off (for profit) will only be done, in hope that the stock DOES fall, so they can purchase more at a cheaper price.

Apple isn't going anywhere but up, and even they know it.

I' waiting for the 2 or 3 for one stock spilt! The see what happens.

Skip

Who is "they" in this scenario?

How does a stock split figure into anything?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Unfortunately the market has been a millstone.

Are you referring to recession, Apple?s stock growth, Apple?s YoY revenue growth or something else? I can see if one thinks the stock is overvalued (even if the P/E is still under 21) but the sales are very telling of a strong company and I don?t see that stagnating anytime soon. I?d say AAPL is a good buy.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just STFU about arrogance, the antenna, and Verizon. Most of us are tired of the same bullshit being regurgitated daily. Just like the analysts poking around for the lamest reason to explain price moves the antennagate and Verizon crowd uses any downward movement to point the finger and say, "SEE, SEE, SEE!" It's all a crock and you know it.

Well, as an epitome for arrogance...

If Apple can't reduce the wait time for the iPhone to under a week, they will not come close to meeting expectations. Look at Andy's numbers. It looks like the white iPhone was a huge distraction to their supply chain.

While another carrier isn't a panacea, it does address the inherent fact that AT&T is approaching a saturation point for smart phones. It also addresses people's frustrations with AT&T. And, in a perfect world, it just might help to bring a better value to the cell phone pricing plans.

Anecdotal though it may be, 80% of the iPhone users I work with are having a hard time justifying an upgraded iPhone. Dropped calls are the biggest issue, price gouging (SMS plan, etc) is a distant second. Half the people will likely go with a pre-paid dumb phone, and the balance will be split between a new iPhone and a competitor.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you referring to recession, Apple?s stock growth, Apple?s YoY revenue growth or something else? I can see if one thinks the stock is overvalued (even if the P/E is still under 21) but the sales are very telling of a strong company and I don?t see that stagnating anytime soon. I?d say AAPL is a good buy.

I stay well clear of making any stock recommendations or predictions. I could not say whether AAPL is a good buy or not, if only because I really don't know. That said, the markets have been pretty much in free-fall for the last week with a couple small dead-cat rallies in between, so to me obviously AAPL is facing at least one headwind not of their own making, not to mention, another one unique to Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Who is "they" in this scenario?

You know, them.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You know, them.

Not THEM? Run for your lives!
  • Reply 27 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Don't feel down - it's a good time to buy! Well, give it until Friday to fall a bit more, then next week I see things improving.

BTW, my predictions (educated guesses) are probably about as accurate as those of full-time market analysts (paid guessers).

I've had a large buy order in place for some time for AAPL at 185. If there is a real overreaction to this quarter's numbers, it could be the last chance to buy AAPL at an icredible discount (barring the impact of a double-dip recession, naturally).
  • Reply 28 of 48
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Not THEM? Run for your lives!

That's exactly what they want you to do!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

If Apple can't reduce the wait time for the iPhone to under a week, they will not come close to meeting expectations. Look at Andy's numbers. It looks like the white iPhone was a huge distraction to their supply chain.

While another carrier isn't a panacea, it does address the inherent fact that AT&T is approaching a saturation point for smart phones. It also addresses people's frustrations with AT&T. And, in a perfect world, it just might help to bring a better value to the cell phone pricing plans.

Anecdotal though it may be, 80% of the iPhone users I work with are having a hard time justifying an upgraded iPhone. Dropped calls are the biggest issue, price gouging (SMS plan, etc) is a distant second. Half the people will likely go with either a pre-paid dumb phone, and the balance will be split between a new iPhone and a competitor.

I don?t agree with the way lkrupp responded to you, i do agree with his general statement regarding "arrogance, antenna, and [carrier]" being brought up in nearly every thread. Not just here, but pretty much everywhere Apple is mentioned.

That said, I agree with your comment about a Verizon mention would skyrocket the stock price; however, I doubt they would announce it at the quarterly earnings meeting so I don?t think it makes much sense to mention it.

Also, if they are unable to meet demand as it is, then adding any other US carrier wouldn?t help sales right now. I think a CDMA/CDMA2000{/LTE} and GSM/TD-SCDMA{/TD-LTE} iPhone is inevitable but this isn?t something we should expect right away or so close to the GSM/UMTS launch of the iPhone. This would need to be several months apart. As it stands now it?s taking 3 months release to last year?s countries.

Note that there is a ?3G? operating band for NTT docomo, Japan?s largest carrier, in the iPhone 4, yet they aren?t an officially listed carrier. This tells me that a future Special Event, within the year, will announce this addition.

As for your comment regarding dropped calls and SMS prices, Verizon doesn?t make these things go away. Verizon offers better coverage in fringe areas and some major cities, but they aren?t better in all places than other carriers, they are typically much slower than AT&T in data, and they have excessive SMS charges like everyone else. If you want to change SMS pricing get with congressman.

As for ?80% of the Phone users I work with are having a hard time justifying an upgraded iPhone? I don?t think that is true unless they A) bought a 3GS well after if came out last year, or B) have thought through the deal AT&T is offering. If I can get a phone that is faster, with a longer lasting battery, 4x the display pixels and all the other stuff for pretty much free of charge, and a relative assurance that I?m going to stick with an iPhone for 2 more years I?ll do that. That is exactly what i and many others did..
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Yeah... I'm getting a little worried on Q4 guidance killing the stock. If they can't get iPhones into the channel quickly, they ARE going to lose sales. The Apple arrogance isn't sitting well with me either.

About all Apple could do to reinvigorate the stock is announce a Verizon iPhone (with a redesigned antenna). That, ot even T-Mobile or Sprint partnership.

Me... I need a new phone very soon, and it doesn't look like I will be able to get an iPhone.

Yes all they can do is bring out a verizon iPhone... or you know, ANY other new product. lol
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

Anecdotal though it may be, 80% of the iPhone users I work with are having a hard time justifying an upgraded iPhone. Dropped calls are the biggest issue, price gouging (SMS plan, etc) is a distant second. Half the people will likely go with a pre-paid dumb phone, and the balance will be split between a new iPhone and a competitor.

Keep in mind the 3 week wait time you see now is most likely due to the fact that they are launching in 17 more countries next friday.

3 weeks wait for supplying only one country could choke sales figures.. 3 week waits for supplying 18 countries.. not that big an issue.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

No, don't tell him to STFU. Apple needs to grow their business so I can make money. The iPhone ain't gonna sell if the stores are all empty. People's attention span is ten seconds long. If there are no phones available when the next great thing comes along, customers are going to bounce.

I think the iPhone is at saturation like the old iPod. Switching to new carriers is a great way to expand sales. The iPhone has a really bad reputation right now and Jobs needs to pull his head out of his ass and smell the coffee.

So why don't you STFU and get lost butt munch.

This from a self admitted troll (your choice of username outs you bigtime) who just joined this month, and whose every post since is a scripted talking point troll. And you think we don't know what your motives are? You think we don't know what you'rte here for? You think we don't know that you're some previously banned gooffball come back under a new name?Aren't trolls supposed to be clever and deceitful? Not you apparently. You're as transparent as glass.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    vexorgvexorg Posts: 69member
    Quote:

Don't feel down - it's a good time to buy! Well, give it until Friday to fall a bit more, then next week I see things improving.

BTW, my predictions (educated guesses) are probably about as accurate as those of full-time market analysts (paid guessers).

If you don't already own AAPL stock, don't do it just prior to earnings - too much can happen. Wait till after earnings when things have settled a bit, and buy on a pullback or a breakout.

If you already own AAPL stock you might want to consider a hedge - perhaps buy a put as insurance or sell a call on stock you own. That does lower your upside potential, but will help if AAPL stock takes a dive.

Earnings are notoriously hard to play. Even if the company beats expectations, sometimes the stock will sell off as traders believe the move is baked in and they take profits.

Long term, I think AAPL is a good buy, but there is a lot of volatility in the markets now. Look at what just happened to IBM after they reported yesterday.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Win7 Phone succeeding? Having read engadget's review last night, I don't think there's much chance of that in a marketplace already containing mature (iOS) and strongly developing (Android) platforms.

My reasons:

1 - No cut and paste (I kid, I kid)

2 - Zune & its marketplace instead of iPod & iTunes or Android's 'play-all-sorts' player

3 - XBox game marketplace - how much do you bet this is a US-only feature for an international market, what percentage of the 40+ casual gaming market owns an XBox?

4 - Firm integration with social media (Facebook, Twitter etc.) i.e. not by choice

5 - Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers...

We know about all of that, but until it's actually released, we won't know what will happen. I don't like to count something out until it's actually out.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, AppleInsider will start calling this "Win7 Phone succeeding-gate". They will invent the story that Win7 Phone is succeeding, and blogs will echo it without proof, then the mainstream media will get wind of it and start parroting it back to the echo chamber. Then more blog sites will start reporting that the mainstream media is reporting "Win7 Phone succeeding-gate, will it doom Apple?" And then fanbois and the haters will start their little flame war on forums, neither side convincing the other. Then AAPL stock will take a hit, and AppleInsider will rub their hands together and say "eeeexcellent!" all while shorting AAPL.

I'm not sure where this is coming from. It's far more likely that the PC centric sites will begin that, such as the Windows Supersite that Paul Runs, and who has already given the OS a good "review" while admitting it has its deficiencies.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

If you don't already own AAPL stock, don't do it just prior to earnings - too much can happen. Wait till after earnings when things have settled a bit, and buy on a pullback or a breakout.

If you already own AAPL stock you might want to consider a hedge - perhaps buy a put as insurance or sell a call on stock you own. That does lower your upside potential, but will help if AAPL stock takes a dive.

Earnings are notoriously hard to play. Even if the company beats expectations, sometimes the stock will sell off as traders believe the move is baked in and they take profits.

Long term, I think AAPL is a good buy, but there is a lot of volatility in the markets now. Look at what just happened to IBM after they reported yesterday.

If you're buying Apple to sell within a short time, then any buy is risky. But right now, it's well below its high. If you plan on keeping the stock, then the risk isn't as great. If you bought at 200 several years ago, and sold at 80, then that would have been a bad move.

So the stock was almost down to 240 earlier today. If you buy in the 240's, and for some reason it drops further, the question is where it will be going a year or two from now. Excepting some enormous disaster, which the iPhone 4 problem isn't, the stock will have risen to well above the buying price.

I hold during the times of depressed pricing, and buy more whenever I can.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Win7 Phone succeeding? Having read engadget's review last night, I don't think there's much chance of that in a marketplace already containing mature (iOS) and strongly developing (Android) platforms.

I think it looks pretty good. Not every company will want to use an iPhone or Blackberry, for various reasons, and Android isn?t a competent OS for the enterprise. Too many potential issues. But WP7 has many great features that could keep MS? mobile marketshare from sliding and likely allow for some growth. As of February, WinMo accounted for 18% marketshare in the US and even though BB, iPhone and Android OSes have all surpassed it there is still a lot of potential for a mobile OS that can be used by different HW vendors. I think this is what MS is banking on with WP7.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just STFU about arrogance, the antenna, and Verizon. Most of us are tired of the same bullshit being regurgitated daily. Just like the analysts poking around for the lamest reason to explain price moves the antennagate and Verizon crowd uses any downward movement to point the finger and say, "SEE, SEE, SEE!" It's all a crock and you know it.

Somebody needs a time-out.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    garbage reporting

• Reply 40 of 48
    Andy Zaky getting accolades from Gruber on http://live.twit.tv/ right now. I have to agree, Zaky is more accurate than other analysts and always has great articles on AI.