Apple says iPhone and iPad are at use in most Fortune 100 companies

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
More than 80 percent of Fortune 100 companies are using the iPhone, and about 50 percent of the Fortune 100 are deploying or testing the iPad, Apple revealed Tuesday.

Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook announced those figures during the company's quarterly earnings conference call Tuesday evening. He said that the company is selling iPads and iPhones "as fast as (they) can make them," including those sales to the enterprise market

The iPhone has steadily grown in the enterprise market since it was first introduced in 2007. But Apple's comments on Tuesday would seem to suggest that the iPad has found faster adoption in the enterprise market.

The remaining question is: What are those businesses using the iPad for? Apple's executives did not provide any indication, though numerous companies have publicly embraced the device, giving some idea of where the iPad is being used.

Earlier this month, Wells Fargo revealed it initially bought 15 iPads used to demonstrate products at an investor conference. While the company spent two years looking at the iPhone, it spent just two weeks to approve the iPad for use. The company's experience with the iPad has led it to buy "a bunch" more.

In addition, Mercedes-Benz has used the iPad to sell cars, allowing sales people to handle credit applications on the touchscreen tablet device. The company is now considering using iPads at all 350 of its U.S. dealerships.

And SAP has developed its own iPad application, allowing managers to approve shipping of customer orders. The company also has a handful of other custom applications planned for development.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    "While the company spent two years looking at the iPad, it spent just two weeks to approve the iPad for use."

Pretty sure this is a misquote. I read the original article. Wells Fargo spent two years looking at the iPhone not the iPad. The sentence as written doesn't make any sense.

Whoops!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    As I look at my AAPL holdings the imaginary soundtrack playing in my head is "Up, Up and Away".
  • Reply 3 of 15
    "As I look at my AAPL holdings the imaginary soundtrack playing in my head is "Up, Up and Away"."

With the FUDDERS, SHORTERS, FLASHERS and HEDGERS of the corrupt market I would not count on it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

"As I look at my AAPL holdings the imaginary soundtrack playing in my head is "Up, Up and Away"."

With the FUDDERS, SHORTERS, FLASHERS and HEDGERS of the corrupt market I would not count on it.

No worries, mate. They can't hold this horse down. All they can do is get trampled in the stampede.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Not surprising. Many people who bought iPhones immediately asked their IT department for the ability to access work email and calendars. And companies don't mind (once they were confident about security) as the employees are paying the costs of the phones and data plans (as they are personal phones).

In fact, many companies are starting to restrict who is eligible for a corporate smartphone and encouraging employees to use their own personal smartphone to save money.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Not surprising. Many people who bought iPhones immediately asked their IT department for the ability to access work email and calendars. And companies don't mind (once they were confident about security) as the employees are paying the costs of the phones and data plans (as they are personal phones).

In fact, many companies are starting to restrict who is eligible for a corporate smartphone and encouraging employees to use their own personal smartphone to save money.

i don't know where the rest of you work, but I CANNOT use personal devices for corporate communication. that is all. we're SO anal about security, I can't install anything on my BB, so a corp iohone would be a total waste of a smartphone.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

There are relatively few retail investors of AAPL, even compared with other similar high-tech companies. This is primarily an institutional investment. The short percentage is pretty small, too.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously it is a great device for many parts of a corporations IT needs. In many cases a better device.

Given that and working in one of those anal corporations alluded to earlier in this thread, there are a lot of closed minds in IT departments. Sad but true.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Apple's adoption is a potential major hurdle for its competitors, many of which have yet to launch and have less workplace support. Android currently has weaker Exchange and security support and lacks a similar level of corporate apps.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Are either doing independent development for iOS or are tied into corporate development for it. The demand is ramping up considerably for applications on these devices from POS in retail to ultra light "dumb terminals", to portable legal document management, to portfolio management and a host of others. And that is just what they are being open about. Ask them what they have going for cool stuff, and their eyes gleam with feral dreams of wealth from the next killer app for iOS.

It's pretty amazing. But not surprising.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    giosacconegiosaccone Posts: 121member
    Fortune 100 companies haven't got economic
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The company I currently work for (high fashion & leader in digital) ordered 130 iPads for execs and then is now going to order another 500 very shortly. These are very good for sales people and we have developed some internal applications that are going to head to retail as well.

People adore these devices here (they took a while to grow on me - I was one of the "it's a large iPod Touch" people) and there is some very radical thinking about removing laptops etc.. Interesting times for this sector...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously it is a great device for many parts of a corporations IT needs. In many cases a better device.

Given that and working in one of those anal corporations alluded to earlier in this thread, there are a lot of closed minds in IT departments. Sad but true.

not really. if it was configurable completely through the air then maybe so. but having to have itunes, and sync it is just stupid and difficult to manage when you have lots of users with them. i would love to let users have anything they wanted, but, i can't help them all with every product they think they need to fiddle with.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oh-es-Ten View Post

I was one of the "it's a large iPod Touch" people.

But that is exactly why the ipad is so good for many places.

I work on sets (as in tv shows and movies) and laptops are too cumbersome but an iphone or ipod touch is a pain to read from over the course of a 12-16 hour day. Plus looking at wardrobe photos and such is just better on a bigger screen. I got an ipad the first week and have been using it on set rather than a laptop and several directors, ADs etc have jumped on the idea and ran out to get their own. Because finally they have that 'big ipod touch'
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Of course they are.. Those are the companies that have the most money.