3Gs without a data plan? Post experiences here

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
First, I did search and there is no 3Gs-specific thread for getting around the data plan.

Background: My wife doesn't need or use the data plan as we have wifi at home.

I bought her a used 3Gs iPhone. I upgraded to iOS4, threw in the SIM card from an LG phone, and used the iPhone settings to disable data over the network.

Success? We thought so at first.

A month later we get the dreaded text message from ATT saying they were adding the data plan to the iphone.

So, just switching it off does not work - they still detect an iPhone.

I am still looking for a way to use the 3Gs without the data plan... any ideas or experiences you can share would be helpful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    You didn't buy the phone from AT&T and they want to force you to buy a data plan? I would call in and confirm that this isn't a mistake. If it is, then jailbreak it, unlock and move to T-Mobile.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    duncandduncand Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You didn't buy the phone from AT&T and they want to force you to buy a data plan? I would call in and confirm that this isn't a mistake. If it is, then jailbreak it, unlock and move to T-Mobile.

Yeah- it's no mistake. Their words on the matter are:

Quote:

If she is using that iphone, it must have the data plan. That is probably why you got that message.

... whenever you use the ipones, any Smartphone or a PDA and don't add a data plan, we will send you a notification and add it automatically. This is because those phones are required to have a data plan and AT&T track the phones that are using them without the data plan.