Stupeid PPC roadmap from Moto

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this belongs in Future Hardware, but here is a moto roadmap that is totally stupid: <a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M983989030230"; target="_blank">moto roadmap</a>

so why doesn't apple use the 1ghz in their machines :confused: they still use 867mhz as the highest clock speed.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: macsrock ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    That roadmap is as old as the initial claims of the G4 starting at those speeds...

Well it started at 400 and was decreased to 350 a week later...

Roadmaps from Motorola are about as valuable as an Italian Lira in 5 months.

G-News
  • Reply 2 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You aren't even reading the roadmap right. It's a roadmap, they're prediciting the future. See how the G4 continues on (into the year 200x) even after the G5 and G6 introductions?

1 GHz G4s will exist eventually, that's what the roadmap says.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    LOL, if you try to use a linear time scale on the x axis, the G4 doesn't even get introduced until 2000 or so.

You'll also notice that the G3 is described as clocking "up to 450 MHz".

The G4, "1 GHz +"

The G5, "800 MHz to 2 GHz +"

So they were very successful at scaling the G3 to higher speeds (help from IBM?), the G4 was a bomb, and the G5...remains to be seen. However reports last December indicated that G5s at 1 GHz and 1.2 GHz were being fabbed with great success, so the 800 MHz is probably a bit conservative of an estimate. The part I like is "2 GHz +", I hope that means that in a couple years when I'm ready to replace my trusty Sawtooth, I'll be able to buy a 2.5 GHz Powermac...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    On Motorola's roadmaps, always assume that the listed clock rates are maximums unless a given range is listed. The 1+ GHz G4 means that there will eventually be 1+ GHz G4 chips available.

But all of that is neither here or there. It's all about the process technology at which the chips are fabricated at. If Motorola fabbed G3s with HiP6, they'd be shipping 700 MHz G3s just like IBM.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: THT ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    It's also interesting that they list a 0.15µ initial process for the G4.

Wasn't the G4 originally fabbed at 0.22µ, or even 0.25µ?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    <strong>Originally posted by MacAddict:

It's also interesting that they list a 0.15µ initial process for the G4.

Wasn't the G4 originally fabbed at 0.22µ, or even 0.25µ?</strong>

MPC 7400 was fabbed on a 0.22u (drawn) Cu interconnect process. (That's if my calculations are correct). The 0.15u number littered in Moto's propaganda is a Leff number. The most likely reason Moto did it was because they were previously fabbing MPC 750 chips at 0.25u. Not a very large process improvement. Typical process improvements usually reduce die size by half, but Moto was probably feeling pressure from IBM's CMOS7S process (0.20u) at the time and felt they had to do it. Bad investment.

MPC 7410 is fabbed on a 0.18u Cu process.

MPC 7450 is fabbed on a 0.18u Cu process.

Since the G4 processor was introduced, it has gone through very little process improvement (0.22u -&gt; 0.18u). It's not even one process improvement, more like half a one. Luckily the 7450 has an increased number of stages in its pipeline. In the meanwhile, the Intel P6 has gone through 4 major process improvements since the PPro (0.35u -&gt; 0.25u -&gt; 0.18u -&gt; 0.13u).