LG unable to meet iPad display demand

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
LG Display's CEO said Thursday that the company had been unable to fulfill orders for displays used in Apple's iPad, but promised "without fail" to catch up with demand by Q2 2011.

Chief executive Kwon Young-soo explained that LG was currently running "at full capacity," but still experiencing production shortages of the iPad display. "Demand (from Apple) keeps growing and we can't meet it all."

LG is considering increased production for iPad products, but "overall supply is likely to remain tight until early next year," Kwon said. He then set a target of second quarter 2011 for LG to meet orders for the displays.

iPad demand has surpassed even Apple's own expectations. Tim Cook, Apple's Chief Operating Officer, admitted Tuesday that the company had been caught off guard by the high demand for the iPad. 3.27 million iPads were sold through the end of Apple's most recent financial quarter.

In spite of a backlog of iPad orders, Apple announced Monday that it would release the iPad in 9 more countries this Friday, fulfilling its goal to launch in these countries by the end of July.

In April, Apple announced that the international launch of the iPad would be delayed by one month. The Cupertino, Calif., company cited surprisingly strong demand as the cause of the delay. However, some analysts have pointed to LG's display shortages as a limiting factor in the production of the device.

According to Reuters' coverage of the LG executives' comments, "Apple may have to delay launches of the iPad for some countries due to tight component supplies and strong demand."

LG also announced Thursday that it was investing over $500 million in production of mobile phone and tablet sized displays. Last year, Apple prepaid $500 million to LG for a guaranteed 5-year supply of LCD screens for Macs and handheld products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Demand = Desirability... (almost) Everyone Wins with a little bit of waiting.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chief executive Kwon Young-soo explained that LG was currently running "at full capacity," but still experiencing production shortages of the iPad display. "Demand (from Apple) keeps growing and we can't meet it all."

Sometimes it makes you wonder if you can trust anything these Asian suppliers say. They are competing with Apple and also a vendor. With the leaks and the knock offs, stealing IP and everything else, how long can these relationships last? It is definitely the Achilles' heel for Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sometimes it makes you wonder if you can trust anything these Asian suppliers say. They are competing with Apple and also a vendor. With the leaks and the knock offs, stealing IP and everything else, how long can these relationships last? It is definitely the Achilles' heel for Apple.

But without the controller software/OS to drive these displays and the associated chips and other bits of hardware, a single manufacturer would be hard-pressed to create and market a competitive product.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    Sadly, I guess that means we will NOT see the same "Retina Display" in the next update to the iPad then. If LG is saying they won't even catch up on current IPS display production at this size, it would seem to indicate that the next refresh (assuming Apple sticks with an annual update cycle for iPad) will see the iPad v2 continue to use the same display until a higher density display can be manufactured en masse.

That's too bad because I'm really really liking my iPhone 4's display. Going back to 3GS displays and even my computer display, I can really feel the difference that a high pixel density screen brings.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But without the controller software/OS to drive these displays and the associated chips and other bits of hardware, a single manufacturer would be hard-pressed to create and market a competitive product.

Sure but they make displays for anyone who wants one, passing on whatever they learn from Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

If Apple has been careful, it shouldn't be a problem. All LG really needs to know are the design requirements of the panel, they don't have to know anything about the rest of whatever it goes into.

I also don't think it would make sense for LG to intentionally constrain panel supply in the runup to their own tablet. That would invite too much suspicion, and if they lose panel sales to a competing supplier, then that's money they aren't making.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

No Retina Display in Gen. 2?

Sadly, I guess that means we will NOT see the same "Retina Display" in the next update to the iPad then. If LG is saying they won't even catch up on current IPS display production at this size, it would seem to indicate that the next refresh (assuming Apple sticks with an annual update cycle for iPad) will see the iPad v2 continue to use the same display until a higher density display can be manufactured en masse.

That's too bad because I'm really really liking my iPhone 4's display. Going back to 3GS displays and even my computer display, I can really feel the difference that a high pixel density screen brings.

I don?t think that was ever a possibility to begin with. Even if Apple made the iPad display with double the resolution (4x the pixels) like the did when going from the 3GS to the iPhone 4, it still wouldn?t be a "Retina Display? is we use 20/20 eyesight (1 arc min) as the minimum level for which this term can be used.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    It's a wonder to me that Apple hasn't contracted with other suppliers to share the load. Or is LG the only one who can make the display to Apple's specs? Seems like maybe Apple should get into the display making business themselves, either by acquisition or from the ground up. Could still fabricate overseas to control costs, just under Apple's roof. They've got the cash. Besides, with everything going the way of touchscreen, the screen itself is becoming the prime component (having subsumed keyboard and trackpad/mouse)--that and the processor are what it's all about.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Anyone who thinks a retina resolution iPad screen is coming are insane and doesn't understand how computers work. In order to have a PPI the same as the iPhone 4 you would need a resolution well over the resolution of a 30" monitor... Well over. Anyone who owns a 30" monitor can tell you how powerful your computer has to be in order to drive the thing. Even the best video cards of today which cost 600 dollars would have a hard time to drive the resolutions a retina display iPad would require. Not to mention the insane cost such a display would entail. A retina display for a device the size of the iPad is years away, probably at LEAST 5 years away.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei;

• Reply 10 of 42
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    You don't need the resolution of the iP4 "retina" display on an iPad anyway, just like you don't need the same pixel density on your 65inch LCD monitor or your 20inch PC. As someone has mentioned, the distance you have to hold the device to the eye, based on the necessity to read the font or see the images displayed, primarily determines how sharp the eye perceives the image, and my 65inch Sharp LCD looks as sharp as the retina display, when viewed from the proper distance. Therefore, you don't need the same identical display, and, even though the next generation may be a year or more away, it will be within the realm of chip and battery technology to handle it, when it arrives; otherwise, it won't make any sense to change (the technology may be available, but too expensive or otherwise prohibitive to produce and market successfully). (I just hope Steve doesn't tell everyone to just hold the iPad further away to make it seem like a retina display !) We've all seen how that advice came across. ;-)
  • Reply 11 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

(I just hope Steve doesn't tell everyone to just hold the iPad further away to make it seem like a retina display).

lol Another email from Jobs saying ?You?re holding it wrong"?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    [QUOTE=Robin Huber;1681841 ?Besides, with everything going the way of touchscreen, the screen itself is becoming the prime component (having subsumed keyboard and trackpad/mouse)--that and the processor are what it's all about.[/QUOTE]

I know that HP has a touchscreen, but I am dubious about Apple doing the same with laptops and desktops. Holding your hand horizontally toward a touch screen for any length of time is tiring. With a trackpad you can rest the heel of your hand to provide support. I think Apple has better ergonomic sense than creating a touchscreen just because other manufacturers has done so.

I also don't agree with the idea that iOS4 and Mac OS X will be fully merged. They will likely share more cross functionality than they do now, but retain separate focus ? respectively, touch and keyboard/trackpad.

I am also looking forward to a higher resolution iPad. The distance you hold the device from the eye makes a difference, so no need to match the iPhone4 Retina Display.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Holding your hand horizontally toward a touch screen for any length of time is tiring.

Why is it that so many people keep saying this even though the solution is stupid obvious? Just redesign the back of the iMac so it can be taken off its stand and put flat on the desk. The iMac's chin becomes a wrist rest.

Go check out the picures of the Wacom Cintiq is you need help imagining how this could work.

There are other reasons why a direct touchscreen interface is poorly suited to Mac OS X, but I think they could eventually be solved as well, if Apple wanted too.

It's just really aggrevating to hear the same reason over and over, even though it has already been addressed many times in the past.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

What are you trying to say?

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple were looking into this. I'm not technically minded by any stretch of the imagination but would it be feasible for Apple to manufacture all it's own parts?
  • Reply 15 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    LOL, I thought LG was a huge company. If they can meet the demand it's good news for the iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I just had to post the ad that showed up at the bottom of this page. Forget the girl, just give me the iPad!

Ads by Google ( Advertise here ) AXE - Wake N' Win Contest

Best Pick Up Line Wins You The Girl*Of Your Dreams & iPad. Find Out How

www.facebook.com/AXEMalaysia
  • Reply 17 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

LOL, I thought LG was a huge company. If they can meet the demand it's good news for the iPad.

It tells us that the iPad is hugely popular, but also that the panel is unique as well, nobody else seems at this stage even close to coming up with a competing product, half a year into the iPad being revealed.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It tells us that the iPad is hugely popular, but also that the panel is unique as well, nobody else seems at this stage even close to coming up with a competing product, half a year into the iPad being revealed.

BINGO

i have seen some ipads on the staten island ferry

they look so nice .sadly few and far between.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Agreed, you'd think SJ would be looking at finding ways to avoid this even if it means building his own automated fabrication plants here or abroad. Catching up by Q2 in 2011? Sheesh!
  • Reply 20 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yes and I often wonder what all those folks bought after they wrote how they'd not buy an iPad but rather the 'far superior' one from ... various names inserted here.