Linux WordPerfect 8.0 on Mac OS 10.6?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is this possible on an Intel Mac since both Linux and Mac OS 10.6 are POSIX compliant, and Linux WordPerfect 8.0 was compiled for an x86 platform?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    It sounds like you do not have Linux installed yet so your best bet would be to go to the forums section of the Linux distro you want to install and ask them. Make sure you provide the technical details of the specific model of the Mac you have so it will be easier for people to respond to your post.

WordPerfect for Linux 8.1 came out in 1999 so while it should work on x86, there could be library compatibility issues. You might even have to run a specific Linux distro to get it to function properly.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You can run WordPerfect 13 (X3) using Crossover:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...e/?app_id=1736

It behaves like a native app and uses the Mac filesystem.

If you want better compatibility, you'd have to use a VM like VMWare, Parallels or VirtualBox.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001 View Post

Is this possible on an Intel Mac since both Linux and Mac OS 10.6 are POSIX compliant, and Linux WordPerfect 8.0 was compiled for an x86 platform?

It is my understanding that the defunct WordPerfect for Linux was compiled against the WINE APIs. Rather than worry about trying to compile WordPerfect against problematic APIs, it might be more productive to use a different file-compatible application. OpenOffice.org and its Java-based sibling NeoOffice support WordPerfect formats. So too does AbiWord.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I would go with Mr. Me's suggestion. If you are adamant on running WordPerfect, download Virtual Box from Sun. Install Linux on a virtual machine and use it. It is better than trying to patch things to work on darwin.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jbh0001jbh0001 Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

It is my understanding that the defunct WordPerfect for Linux was compiled against the WINE APIs.

That was Linux Wordperfect 9.0. Linux WordPerfect 8.0 and 8.1 were native Linux versions. If I have to use emulation, I'll use latest Windows WordPerfect version with Parallels or VM Fusion.

My interest in the Linux version was due to Linux and Mac OS X being POSIX compliant, in the hopes that it might be possible to tweak the native Linux version to run on Mac OS X natively thus eliminating the need for Parallels, VM Fusion, or Crossover/WINE.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001 View Post

That was Linux Wordperfect 9.0. Linux WordPerfect 8.0 and 8.1 were native Linux versions. If I have to use emulation, I'll use latest Windows WordPerfect version with Parallels or VM Fusion.

My interest in the Linux version was due to Linux and Mac OS X being POSIX compliant, in the hopes that it might be possible to tweak the native Linux version to run on Mac OS X natively thus eliminating the need for Parallels, VM Fusion, or Crossover/WINE.

I think Amit Singh wrote an aricle on running ELF executables (Linux) on OSX granted... you would have to get all the linux libraries it needs as well... If you have the time its doable, BSD can run Linux binary files, so its possible, just time consuming and probably requiring some hacking.
  • Reply 7 of 7

I have a new powerful software in converting PDF data files for Mac. Word perfect for Mac opens both Mac and Windows WordPerfect files, while preserving most of the original document formatting.