Airport Express Refresh?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The APX is a great accessory, but it's been a long time since it was refreshed.

Has anyone heard if new wifi base stations might be released by Apple in the near future?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    How would they be different from what they already have?

I don't see them changing them JUST for looks... And there's nothing new to put inside them...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I hadn't realized that the APX is now using 'n' spec for wireless. I'm not sure when Apple made the improvement, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    No really need to update this. I doubt it's high on Apple's list of priorities.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by highdefw View Post

No really need to update this. I doubt it's high on Apple's list of priorities.

About the only reason i can think of to update would be for improved chipsets. But even then we would still be running the old protocols. As far as I know nothing new is due with respect to WiFi communications.

At keast near term, I've geard plenty though about future 60GHz devices. Such hardware though is a couple of years off. Plus there are significant issues to contend with in buildings.

The thing with something like Airport Express is why would you update it hardware wise often. The idea with such hardware is to minimize costs. Hardware revs are expensive and make for a more difficult job of managing your software base. Besides software updates these days can do much for an old product.

Dave