Internet issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here is the deal -

I am on my mac mini which was bought right before the unibody version came out. I am using b/g wireless for my connection. I have had great internet for the past few months, but for the past few weeks it has been awful. I have reset the router and all that business.

I have done speed tests from the top 3 sites and what will happen is the speed jumps to 3 megs down, and then will slowly go down to 15kb! I did the same test on my work laptop using the same internet connection and it gets a solid 2.5 megs with no downgrade in signal. This makes me think it is my mac. I am running to the most up to date software in snow leopard.

Can anyone help? I have no idea what is causing this, but I am getting pissed since I use my computer to watch Netflix/Hulu etc... I have not downloaded any new programs since this issue started.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If you'd ask Steve Jobs he'd probably say you're holding it wrong...

But, seriously, this is an awkward 'bug'. Sounds like your router net's capacity is 'leaking' away. How is your router's security set up? Is it an open net, or is it password protected? Could its capacity be hijacked by someone within 100/150 feet perhaps (maybe you have new neighbors...)? Can you connect your MM directly, physically to the internet? So that you can test whether it's your wi-fi router that is causing the slowdown?

Quote:

I have not downloaded any new programs since this issue started.

Good. But S.O.P. of course. If it's a malware thingy that code would obviously have snuck in before you stopped downloading 'any new programs'!

It can't be a virus, as there are none for OSX. It could be a Trojan, as you indicated you do download 'new programs'.

What did you think of the SI swimsuit edition this year...?

Anyway, you may want to run a check under free Avast. Maybe it comes up with sumtin.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    Thank you for the help. I have no options to view my router, but it is password protected. My internet is included in my rent but it is secured. My dell will be sitting on the same desk and have 10x better signal, so I can't understand how that could be be an issue. Should I just reinstall OSX?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

If you'd ask Steve Jobs he'd probably say you're holding it wrong...

But, seriously, this is an awkward 'bug'. Sounds like your router net's capacity is 'leaking' away. How is your router's security set up? Is it an open net, or is it password protected? Could its capacity be hijacked by someone within 100/150 feet perhaps (maybe you have new neighbors...)? Can you connect your MM directly, physically to the internet? So that you can test whether it's your wi-fi router that is causing the slowdown?

Good. But S.O.P. of course. If it's a malware thingy that code would obviously have snuck in before you stopped downloading 'any new programs'!

It can't be a virus, as there are none for OSX. It could be a Trojan, as you indicated you do download 'new programs'.

What did you think of the SI swimsuit edition this year...?

Anyway, you may want to run a check under free Avast. Maybe it comes up with sumtin.

• Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hxc04 View Post

Thank you for the help. I have no options to view my router, but it is password protected. My internet is included in my rent but it is secured. My dell will be sitting on the same desk and have 10x better signal, so I can't understand how that could be be an issue. Should I just reinstall OSX?

Are they on the same wi-fi net/router when on the desk and exhibiting that different behavior? I mean: did you run tests side-by-side at the same time?

The easiest way to deal with this would be to restore a recent backup data set*, from a couple days before you started noticing this glitch, and be done with it.

But you wouldn't know what caused this glitch so you could easily get it again.

*do you have a good recent backup data set? Is that an option?