64-bit iLife '11 said to arrive in August with a 'mystery' application

Comments

• Reply 21 of 177
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    iApp - an Automator-like program for making basic apps for one's iPhone, pod, pad?
  • Reply 22 of 177
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Hmmm, a mystery app. This is interesting. I am surprised by the idea that they could axe iDVD, because how would we then use the superdrive? You have to be able to author DVDs somehow. Unless they will be replacing it with something new like iBluray? You never know. On the other hand, if they do axe iDVD, and do not offer a replacement tool, then I am totally stumped.

Maybe Apple wants to make iLife a single integrated app, with subcomponents that provide the previously separate functionality? One app that does it all seemlessly? I'm not sure if this would make sense or have any downsides.
  • Reply 23 of 177
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

When? My iMac is running iLife '09, the current one for now.

No, I wasn't speaking of the current '09 version. I was referencing the new '10/'11 version as dropping PowerPC support. Most PowerPC computers can't handle a lot of the new features anyway, such as iMovie '08, so I would expect them to want to clean up the code by dropping it, similar to Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 24 of 177
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    I vote for FaceTime-iChat integration to extend the features of the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 25 of 177
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

No, I wasn't speaking of the current '09 version. I was referencing the new '10/'11 version as dropping PowerPC support. Most PowerPC computers can't handle a lot of the new features anyway, such as iMovie '08, so I would expect them to want to clean up the code by dropping it, similar to Snow Leopard.

So you're speculating then. To be honest, it's all much of a muchness to me. I don't think my iMac will really be up to the task. However, my iMac runs the latest iMovie without a problem (even though it is slightly below spec).
  • Reply 26 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Hmmm, a mystery app. This is interesting. I am surprised by the idea that they could axe iDVD, because how would we then use the superdrive? You have to be able to author DVDs somehow. Unless they will be replacing it with something new like iBluray? You never know. On the other hand, if they do axe iDVD, and do not offer a replacement tool, then I am totally stumped.

Maybe Apple wants to make iLife a single integrated app, with subcomponents that provide the previously separate functionality? One app that does it all seemlessly? I'm not sure if this would make sense or have any downsides.

First, iDVD would do well to be integrated into iMovie, as they are very interrelated. Second, it would be horrible to make it a single integrated app, because you would end up with something like iTunes' bloated software. It would almost be like adding up all the load times of each application (when even one is fairly slow now).
  • Reply 27 of 177
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    It'll be facetime
  • Reply 28 of 177
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I like the surface idea for GarageBand, but when Google came up with its modular way for people to create their own apps, I thought, "That's what Apple would do."

In the tradition of Automator and creating your own widgets from webpages, I think Apple should come up with programming for the rest of us. Can iApps be put together like puzzle pieces? It seems that Apple has been doing that with developer environments for a while and while WebOS and Android have been able to evolve more efficient ways of coding programs, and Apple has been moving to the post-OS world via iOS, I would think this could be a compelling addition.

iWeb is going to change, hopefully to be more intuitive and modular, so why not open things up even more. If you can make movie editing easy with iMovie, I bet Apple could make iOS programming easy with iDev!!
  • Reply 29 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

So you're speculating then. To be honest, it's all much of a muchness to me. I don't think my iMac will really be up to the task. However, my iMac runs the latest iMovie without a problem (even though it is slightly below spec).

Lol, yes I'm speculating, as that's what we do here on AppleInsider. However, like most good speculation, it is based on good premises and logical thought. You can predict much by looking at history. Shoot, predicting this year's new iPod Touch is almost laughably easy based on past experience. While minute details are not certain, most of the headliners are 95% predictable.

Also, if you have an Intel iMac, you should be fine. It is really only PowerPC people who should not keep their hopes up. Actually, I'm halfway surprised Apple hasn't split iTunes for Mac into 2 separate versions for Intel and PowerPC Mac users, as that would probably significantly speed up iTunes for all Mac users.
  • Reply 30 of 177
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

First, iDVD would do well to be integrated into iMovie, as they are very interrelated. Second, it would be horrible to make it a single integrated app, because you would end up with something like iTunes' bloated software. It would almost be like adding up all the load times of each application (when even one is fairly slow now).

Yeah, at present, each of the iLife apps performs a pretty distinct function. iTunes is all about managing one's iContent. So, combining the iLife apps wouldn't really make sense.
  • Reply 31 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

I like the surface idea for GarageBand, but when Google came up with its modular way for people to create their own apps, I thought, "That's what Apple would do."

In the tradition of Automator and creating your own widgets from webpages, I think Apple should come up with programming for the rest of us. Can iApps be put together like puzzle pieces? It seems that Apple has been doing that with developer environments for a while and while WebOS and Android have been able to evolve more efficient ways of coding programs, and Apple has been moving to the post-OS world via iOS, I would think this could be a compelling addition.

iWeb is going to change, hopefully to be more intuitive and modular, so why not open things up even more. If you can make movie editing easy with iMovie, I bet Apple could make iOS programming easy with iDev!!

The thing is, the best apps are not going to be created like that.* The apps that really stand out and are great, do things which are original, or ingenious. The dev tools Apple has already provided for iOS developers are already very easy, while enabling very powerful programming. It's not quite like the iWeb thought process, where a cookie cutter works very well. It's more...creative.

* Note: this is an opinion.
  • Reply 32 of 177
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Maybe they could make iPhoto more transparent. You know, maybe where you could see your pictures in a folder in finder under the name you save them as rather than some mystical number.

I have never had a need to dig into the iPhoto Folder hierarchy. Why do you want to do that? I occasionally need to work on separate copies of images that I don't want to include in my iPhoto archive in which case I drag those images to a folder on the desktop, do whatever I need to, and save them in an alternative / relevant spot.
  • Reply 33 of 177
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Hypercard 4.0?

Although, iHypercard is a little awkward to pronounce.

Oh come on, there's enough hype in the world already. On the other hand you can never have enough paint! Although that's probably not true either...
  • Reply 34 of 177
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Currently, the iLife applications are : iPhoto, iMove, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb.

For an application to be part of an iLife package, it must have the ability to Create, Archive, and Distribute(Shared). It also must be something the whole family can enjoy, easy to use, learn and the final output good is enough to be compared with the content produced with Pro apps.

What would the mystery application be?

A FaceTime OS X application that allows you to share images and video clips during a call makes sense to market as an iLife application. If/when that happens, I think iChat would be reworked and rebranded as FaceTime.

That sounds more like a feature for OS X 10.7 in 2011, but maybe Apple wants to get in front of the wave and push broad standardization of FaceTime before then and allow FaceTime to run on OS X 10.6 and 10.5.
  • Reply 35 of 177
    a new mystery application... but the curiouser thing is the deletion of iDVD. This would fit with Apple's long held disdain for disk based media. DVDs are the only media that Apple still supports since they killed off the floppy disk over 10 years ago and have ignored the Blu-Ray format... is this heralding the impending removal of DVD player/recorders from upcoming Macs? It would be in keeping with the trend started with the MacBook Air and iPad and would encourage the adoption of streaming rentals and online purchasing of movies. Retail channel rumors already suggest that iMacs and the entire Mac Pro line are about to be refreshed. Will we see them without DVD drives?
  • Reply 36 of 177
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

iDVD is necessary for Final Cut Express users, and for people who still use iMovie HD (like me). Apple hasn't improved iDVD for a few years now - I hope they don't let it die.
  • Reply 37 of 177
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Oh come on, there's enough hype in the world already. On the other hand you can never have enough paint! Although that's probably not true either...

Well, the only reason I mention Hypercard 4.0 is that, out of the blue, John Gruber had a bit on Hypercard 3.0 (which never shipped) on Daring Fireball the other day.
  • Reply 38 of 177
    iBluray? Yes!
  • Reply 39 of 177
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    It going to be iPhone for the Mac, a VOIP-Messaging client. Get with it folks! Facetime
  • Reply 40 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

I vote for FaceTime-iChat integration to extend the features of the iPhone 4.

Since Appe likes to wait until a proper OS release new standard features offering FaceTime in iLife could be a way of getting around their self-enforced regulations.

They surely want to push FaceTime and it will be WiFi-only in 2010, and very likely, IMO, to be a part of the next iPod Touch. All the HW is there to make every Mac FaceTime compatible "with the purchase of iLife '11."